Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

employed you as her childminder i think she thinks she is able to call the shots here and she isnt. I would write a letter detailing everything you have mentioned on here and how you want to be, i would offer her a term time only contract where she doesnt pay for any school holidays (i have teachers that i offer these to) and its up to you if you up the daily rate to cover the loss, i dont but some do. If she does pay extra though you wouldnt be able to fill the holiday spaces in case she decides to use them iyswim. As for your holidays - you need to tell her that you will inform her when you will be taking your holidays, if you dont charge for your holidays then suggest she takes her the same time as you - not the other way round. I would want to get it all straight and in place asap. Oh and id also mention as often as you can in the letter 'as a SELF EMPLOYED childminder.......'
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know this can ba difficult issue so I will share what I decided to do. I enjoy having quiet school holiday times as I have my own children. I only take my holidays in school holidays and let the parents have the dates ASAP usually at the beginning of the year. I do noy charge when I am on holiday. Parents may need to pay for replacement childcare. If parents take holiday in term time I charge full fee. If they take holiday in school Hols they pay 50% fee. This encourages them to take Hols in school Hols and this suits me and my family. Term time parents pay 50% for all school Hols.
    You need to work out what you want for you and your family and stick to it. It is your business and your decision. good luck

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You asked if anyone didn't charge for childrens holidays, I don't charge for children's holidays. I have one child who will mostly not be with me during school holidays, but sometimes he does come. I charge for when he is here, but not when he is not.

If school holidays are an issue with this family, perhaps you could just talk with the mum and suggest that you will switch over to a term time only contract for her. Then tell her she is welcome to book her child/children in for any day during the holidays, with a full four weeks notice (or whatever) and she will need to pay at time of booking the holiday daily rate which is £??. That way you can get an enhanced rate for any holidays you do work, and she has to come to you to actually book her child in on the days she needs. No booking, no care, no worries.

BTW, you probably should adjust your contract to include more holiday each year. As you get more kids you will need more holidays. Three weeks is not going to be enough to keep you physically and mentally healthy in the long term. My opinion of course, so feel free to reject it lol.

Keeley77 Guest

Default Now wishing I hadn't!

Well mum did say that she is happy with the terms and conditions - although I still think that she thinks she will be able to dictate my holidays, the last comment she made was. "well if you take a week at xmas and two weeks in the summer holidays then everything should work out ok"

Ive made it clear in writing that I will advise them when i'm taking my holidays and give her notice as per contract etc.

However I now have a new issue. Having again been too nice, I agreed to amend the contract to allow her to use the deposit (which was for 3 weeks fees) towards the 1st invoice rather than refundable against the last inv. However, i'm still awaiting payment for the remaining days and its now the 13th!!. Ive made it clear that payment is due in advance, ive given her the invoice, twice!! I've asked her about payment and she looked at me vaguely and asked if it was an over payment??? i've again reiterated that its money owed. Ive sent her a message this morning saying that I need her to let me know when she has paid (assuming bank transfer) so that I can issue her a receipt. (an excuse to remind her about payment, AGAIN)! to which ive not received a reply!?

I don't know what steps to take next, I think I will ask her directly on Monday if the invoice was paid over the weekend and if not, ask whether she has a problem paying?

This situation doesn't make me feel very confident about future payments.. I've asked for payment in advance so NOV will be due on the 1st of Nov.

Would be helpful to know roughly when you guys issue your invoices - do u give inv to parents on the 25th and state payment on the 1st so that they have a weeks notice of the amount due?

I think I will do a letter with the NOV invoice, again confirming that invoices are due in advance on the 1st of the month and if the payment isnt received on time then childcare is not available, unless there are exceptional circumstances that i'm made aware of in good time etc.

I just don't know what the issue is here? I keep finding myself thinking that it must be something to do with me, that ive not explained myself properly etc? but my after school parents don't have any issues so i'm stumped!

I can't see me carrying on with childminding if this is the kind of stuff I have to deal with. I'm an honest and open person and I expect the same from others, i'm obviously far to trusting! If someone told me that I still owed money for the month, I would want to pay asap! (even if I had to borrow the money).. and in case they refused to take my child!

I'm just hoping she will come on Monday and say "oh yes ive paid the invoice, sorry it was late, wont happen again ...."

Many thanks

Keeley77 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    You asked if anyone didn't charge for childrens holidays, I don't charge for children's holidays. I have one child who will mostly not be with me during school holidays, but sometimes he does come. I charge for when he is here, but not when he is not.

If school holidays are an issue with this family, perhaps you could just talk with the mum and suggest that you will switch over to a term time only contract for her. Then tell her she is welcome to book her child/children in for any day during the holidays, with a full four weeks notice (or whatever) and she will need to pay at time of booking the holiday daily rate which is £??. That way you can get an enhanced rate for any holidays you do work, and she has to come to you to actually book her child in on the days she needs. No booking, no care, no worries.

BTW, you probably should adjust your contract to include more holiday each year. As you get more kids you will need more holidays. Three weeks is not going to be enough to keep you physically and mentally healthy in the long term. My opinion of course, so feel free to reject it lol.
    Yes from Sept 13 when my eldest starts school and I will be looking to take on another early years child so will review and increase my holiday to 4 weeks. xx

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is very difficult reading one and all's view.... Its a point .....whether you are working 52 weeks a year,, term time only contract, and you have four weeks notice to do any changes...... does the parent want to pay what you have.

The point is you may well say you have no space to that mum if she disagrees to pay holiday fees.....????? But if You need business we can be bit flexible without loosing the contract... 50% is also a lot for some parents to pay even though they get paid from tax credit !!!! And tries to cut corner ..... Sorry i had few issues with parents cant win!!!!

All i would advice you friend make it clear with the parent and come to an agreement and has to go in The contract. And tell her this is what your policy is how you run your business.. Take it or leave it you decide hope all goes well.
    Jas Bedi

Post Thanks / Like

I would give my bill out the a week before the end of the month stating that payment is due on the 1st!!

With regard to the mum telling you when you have your holiday - no way!!!! You are self employed and you have your holidays to suit your family! If it happens that you want time off over christmas so well and so good, but certainly don't have it just to accommodate this family - as you get busier you can't work around every family so you don't want this family to think that you will always work around them.

Also as you are SELF EMPLOYED you can have as many holidays as you want, and when you want them - not to suit parents!!! There is nothing to say that if you have 2 weeks at Christmas you can't have anymore until October!

As your eldest child has now started school, I am assuming that you will want to have some of your holidays in the school holidays, but again, make sure its to suit you!!!

I think you have been more than accommodating with this family, but they seem to want more and more!!! I hope you manage to get things sorted out!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if mum really doesn't understand things, or if she's playing a clever game and bit by bit getting everything on her terms.

Would it be possible to sit down with her and start everything from scratch? Explain that you are self employed and offering a service, not employed and working for the parent. Find out exactly what she wants and tell her exactly what you are prepared to do. It takes compromise from both sides, so she should be prepared for that and not expect you to be the one to agree to all her terms. Document everything that you talk about and get her to sign a copy accepting what has been agreed.

As for the fees, be very specific. Write down how much was due week for week so she can see she hasn't paid. Then be very firm and tell her that without payment in advance you won't have the child. I'd be worried that she has used her deposit money up already and wold definitely not allow her to run up any more of an unpaid bill.

You're learning that bein nice doesn't get you anywhere with some parents. The more you try to help them or please them, the more they expect things to be on their terms. By standing up for yourself and being tough, you find that some parents respect you more. Give it a try

9. Likes bunyip, jane5 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tbh, I've never had to issue an invoice, for one simple reason.

All my parents know that I have a straightforward rule and that i will apply it ruthlessly: no payment = no childcare + no exceptions. I don't mind if they pay me a month ahead by bank transfer or daily by cash. But they will get turned away at the doorstep before they ever go into arrears - and they know it.

When money is tight, people will first pay the bills they're under pressure to pay. Once you go on their 'soft touch' list, you stay there.

Mouse is right - if you show you're tough, they'll respect you a lot more.

11. Likes AgentTink, Goatgirl liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree its hard to tell if mum is playing dumb or actually doesn't get it. you need to sit her down for a chat and explain that she HAS underpaid for this month as she only paid 3 weeks instead of 4. She needs to pay it NOW or you will be adding late fees and you will stop childcare until the bill is paid.

Tell her in NO uncertain terms that from now on, late payments will incur late fees and childcare will stop and not resume until fees are paid.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the mum knows exactly what she is doing, she is taking advantage of your kind nature. She is trying it on and you are agreeing to the things she wants, time to toughen up.

Tell her that you will tell her your holiday dates as soon as your husband is able to secure the time off work, ( I always blame dh's job). I wouldn't agree to taking your holidays in school holidays if uour child isn't at school because the price can double, it's much cheaper when the schools are still open and quieter.

Tell her you will still be working over the xmas holidays so full fee is expected. Be prepared for her to send the child though as she may send the child if she is paying anyway.
    Don't feel that you have to agree to her every demand as she will just keep demanding more things.

Tell her payment was due on such a date and ask her straight out why payment hasn't been made, I have a late payment charge of £5 a day, if you dont have this it may be worth considering writing this into the contracts in the future.

I ALWAYS use the 4 week deposit as payment for the notice period at the end of the contract so I am not left out of pocket. I think she is always going to be hard work so start saying no. She probably needs you more than you need her.
    Jane xxx

15. Likes N/A, Lynsey C liked this post
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Keeley,
    I think you need to talk to Mum very straightforwardly. Take a deep breath and just say it.

Something simple like: "You owe me fees of £x which are/were due on x/x/x. Unfortunately I do not offer childcare unless I have been paid in advance so childcare will cease from (date as yet not paid for) if payment has not cleared in to my account by that date". Then just wait for the info to sink in and for her to answer you. Don't feel you have to fill the silence or back down. You are not being rude to ask for what she owes you for the service you are providing.

She has caused this situation, not you. Your job as a professional is to make sure she is made aware of the facts. As she seems to 'forget' what you discuss, rather conveniently I feel, it would be a good idea to record the conversation and ask her to sign that you have made her aware of what is due, when it must be paid by (x of this month) and what the consequences will be if it is not paid (no childcare but fees still due).

I'm like you and struggle to be polite without ending up agreeing to things I don't want to agree to. The longer you do this job though, the easier it gets and once you start to think and act more like a business woman you will find that if you are very firm from the beginning you will not get many parents trying it on. I have learned from people on this forum to always "get back to" parents with requests after some time for a good think as I'm a soft touch and it can take a while for me to realise that I'm not just helping them out but hurting myself or my business in the process.

AT the end of the day she has already agreed to all your terms and conditions in signing the contract. They are not up for never ending negotiation. Put a stop to it before it drives you crazy . Apart from anything else you don't have the time or energy to be renegotiating all the time.

Good luck getting the rest of Octobers money and make sure they get the invoice for November with at least a week to get the payment to you. That' s what I do . Actually in this particular case, with the confusion, (feigned or real), I'd have November's bill with the date due highlighted or in bold ready to hand to Mum when you have your conversation about the remainder of October's fees. Otherwise I can see her using the excuse that 'she didn't realise' or 'thought you said something different' to pay late and or in dribs and drabs for that too.

Let us know how you get on, we're right behind you

apr 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my this makes me mad when I read it...how dare she ask you to take your hols when she takes her's!!! She needs to fit round you, not the other way round. What if all parents said this to you, you would be stuck and couldn't possibly accommodate it. Put your foot down and tell her your terms and conditions and she if doesn't like it then tell her she would need to go else where (I bet she doesn't). I am soft too and my prices are low and I didn't charge parents for their hols but after I have read some of these forums, I realise how soft I have been and am gonna step up (I have been childminding for 6 months and joined tis forum tonight). You will get other business. If she demands this now what else will she demand......man up, or should I say women up n stand up for yourself!!!!!! -I say all this in the nicest possible way I just hate to see people been taken the mick out of!!!

jun10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fees during term time only / sch hols

Hi
    I have a term time only siblings mindees. when we had the initial interview and quoted fees they were worked in terms of the number of weeks i was needed for - 39 for the academic year - and then divided by 52. That way it was beneficial to me, in the sense that i have a steady income throughout the year from this client, and it works out cheaper on a weekly basis for the parent(s) concerned. Otherwise i would agree with others on here and charge at least a 75% retainer for the weeks they want to take the mindee out for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12