Would anyone else do it this way?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Keeley77 Guest

Default Would anyone else do it this way?

Hi.

I'm in the process of taking on a child for 7 hours a day. This will work out to £26.25 per day - However my standard full day fee which for 8am until 6pm is £30.00. I'm considering charging them for the full £30 per day because i'm effectively loosing quite a bit of money. I wont be able to use the remaining hours for any other children. I can only take one early years child at the moment as I have two of my own children which are in the early years age range.
    if i had 2 or 3 minded children then I wouldn't mind charging the hourly rate as i'd have other income.

Does it sound unreasonable to charge a full days fee?

Advise and previous experiences would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryk View Post
    Hi.

I'm in the process of taking on a child for 7 hours a day. This will work out to £26.25 per day - However my standard full day fee which for 8am until 6pm is £30.00. I'm considering charging them for the full £30 per day because i'm effectively loosing quite a bit of money. I wont be able to use the remaining hours for any other children. I can only take one early years child at the moment as I have two of my own children which are in the early years age range.
    if i had 2 or 3 minded children then I wouldn't mind charging the hourly rate as i'd have other income.

Does it sound unreasonable to charge a full days fee?

Advise and previous experiences would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
    If you explain you charge a daily rate to parent then stick to your guns then I find that acceptable. Its up to you what you charge and how you run your business!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a child from 10am-5pm and charge my full day fee.

I don't tell parents that my full day is from 8am-5pm. I ask what hours they want & say, OK, that'll be £35 (my day rate). I then put the contracted hours as whatever hours they have told me.

If you tell parents that a full day is from 8am-6pm you run the risk of them leaving the child for the whole day! If you ask them what hours they want, then tell them the day fee you can keep to the hours they've said

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

I don't tell parents that my full day is from 8am-5pm. I ask what hours they want & say, OK, that'll be £35 (my day rate). I then put the contracted hours as whatever hours they have told me.

If you tell parents that a full day is from 8am-6pm you run the risk of them leaving the child for the whole day! If you ask them what hours they want, then tell them the day fee you can keep to the hours they've said

Wish I had thought of this this morning, had an enquiry for one day a week 10-5, and was asked rate and I told them hourly! Grr! Will remember next time
    I can't fill the space around it

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too - if they come at 6 because they are running late there isn't any extra fee either and they think you have done them a favour
    Debbie

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    Wish I had thought of this this morning, had an enquiry for one day a week 10-5, and was asked rate and I told them hourly! Grr! Will remember next time
    I can't fill the space around it
    Wish I'd thought of this too. I have LO from 11-5 one day a week and just charge my hourly rate! And starting at 11am really messes up the day so will think twice next time.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

As there is only three under five spaces I charge a full days rate. These spaces are precious and are usually the main income.I only do hourly for before and after school (currently only have schoolies in the hols so full days rate applies). My hours are 8am to 6pm and I don't mind what times they uses between those hours but if the are going to be different from their usual times I want to be informed in case we have plans.
    Why hasn't Gary Barlow come to my rescue yet?

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly what I do too. It seems to work well

June 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to do what you feel comfortable explaining to the parents. But go with either a day rate for all, or hourly fee for all.

I always do hourly as I quite like having my early years finish at 2 on a Monday. If I charged a day fee for this then I run the risk that they would pick up late and I wouldn't be able to charge for the overtime.

..............But then I am a bit soft and know how hard it is to pay for childcare... Im probably doing myself out of money but at the same time I havent had an empty space since Sept 2010.