Question: How much do you charge for after school care?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 012
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Question: How much do you charge for after school care?

How much do you charge for after-school care? Is it an hourly rate or a set fee?

The reason I ask is because I wish to look after over 8's after school and propose to charge £5.00 per child per day regardless of the number of hours. My daily hourly rate will be £4.00ph

I want to look after young children and the older ones as I am currently a Teaching Assistant and would miss working with older children so would love to be able to offer after-school care.

BucksCM Guest

Just to clarify, you want to charge £5 per child per day for the after school slot? So how many hours would that be? If it is until 6pm then it's 2 3/4 hours for £5? Out of that you'll have to take snacks, drinks, tea if provided, and other costs(light, heat, tax, ni, wear and tear etc...) I don't think you'll make any money.
    I charge a set rate. Although it's a short amount of time, it's usually the most stressful part of the day. If i fill up with afterschoolers it also means that I can't have as many full timers.
    I have a full time schoolie (m-f 8-845 and 315-6) and I'm paid £25
    I have a family that has changed hours around and I normally have them for an hour in the morning, but if I have them afterschool I charge £5 per hour per child.

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I charge £5. That covers school run until 6 at the latest. x
    Julie X X

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lovechildcare1 View Post
    How much do you charge for after-school care? Is it an hourly rate or a set fee?

The reason I ask is because I wish to look after over 8's after school and propose to charge £5.00 per child per day regardless of the number of hours. My daily hourly rate will be £4.00ph

I want to look after young children and the older ones as I am currently a Teaching Assistant and would miss working with older children so would love to be able to offer after-school care.
    Well, if you're doing it as a hobby, go ahead. How on earth is it worth your while?

At that rate, I'd gladly subcontract all my minded children and grandchildren to you, and keep the difference in what their parents give me.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I will also be charging £25 for a day's wraparound care (8-9 & 3-6) or £20 for just after school care inc meal & snack. I just can't see how it's worth your while especially if you're providing snacks or god forbid a meal

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    Hi I charge £5. That covers school run until 6 at the latest. x
    Do you include any food/snacks? I assume this is standard for your area but am at how little you charge.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £25 for before n after school 7.30 -9 3.15 - 6 sometimes 6.30..
    Dust its Fairy Dust

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £4.25 per hour for all year round care and £30.00 for TTO (MAX 5 hours either morning or afternoon) no charge during hols.

notts Guest

I charge by the session. Morning and afternoon = 2 sessions. £10 per session inclusive of meal/mileage capped at 2.5 hours (unless I offer a discount for example sibling or having both AM/PM and school hols). I was going to offer £8.50 if they choose to bring their own food.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

After school children only, I charge £5.00 per hour ie 3pm-5pm =£10.00 ( school comes out at 3.15 but I have to walk there first.

Dec 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really dont mean this in a bad way, but some prices seem so high I can see why parents struggle and we get moaned at for our high rates. I understand that it varies from one area to another and tbh I do live in quite a low paid area. Even at £5, I still see parents really struggle to pay me £50 a week. I make a really good wage as it all adds up. I charge £20 a day per child full time. I wouldnt feel comfortable charging more knowing the parents were struggling. However thats just me. I wouldnt be able to earn such a good wage anywhere else.
    Julie X X

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[Q
    UOTE=julie w;1137034]I really dont mean this in a bad way, but some prices seem so high I can see why parents struggle and we get moaned at for our high rates. I understand that it varies from one area to another and tbh I do live in quite a low paid area. Even at £5, I still see parents really struggle to pay me £50 a week. I make a really good wage as it all adds up. I charge £20 a day per child full time. I wouldnt feel comfortable charging more knowing the parents were struggling. However thats just me. I wouldnt be able to earn such a good wage anywhere else.
    [/QUOTE]

I really wish that the rest of the working world operated this way. I would not mind charging less if i had to pay less for my day to day life.

It always amazes me that the man who fixes my washing machine earns more for his hour call out charge than i earn for the sole responsibility and care of someones child for a 10 hour day
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

£6.50 ph min of 2 sessions (will happliy split hrs to 30 mins morning) includes all costs and a meal if required, I have 1 on my books, but I do term time only contracts (no charging in the holidays), and am very very flexible.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I really dont mean this in a bad way, but some prices seem so high I can see why parents struggle and we get moaned at for our high rates. I understand that it varies from one area to another and tbh I do live in quite a low paid area. Even at £5, I still see parents really struggle to pay me £50 a week. I make a really good wage as it all adds up. I charge £20 a day per child full time. I wouldnt feel comfortable charging more knowing the parents were struggling. However thats just me. I wouldnt be able to earn such a good wage anywhere else.
    I charge £30... for 39 weeks of the year... during the holidays I earn diddly... unless they want to reserve a place... then it would be £4.25 per hour term time and half in the hols (full fee when place is used)

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

With the greatest of respect fee's depend a lot on area. You have to set your fees on the cost of living and I think parents (good ones) respect that. I notice you are in Stoke on Trent and a quick search of the area (just general, nowhere specific) on rightmove shows you can get a pretty decent 3 bed semi detached house for less than £70k* (not sure if it was a 'nice' area or not but the house was lovely at £62.5K!). In my area (East Herts) that will cost you in access of £250K for a house in need of modernisation. Everything is relative and people earn more here (all my parents commute to London on a good wage) so can afford my £4/hour fee. I don't charge for the holidays and I only charge for the time they are here so some days it's less than £10 per child (I only have 2 after schoolers).
    If I could do it cheaper I probably would but I have to make some living

*Edit to say : I've been browsing houses on Rightmove and want to move as I've found a lovely 4 bed semi detached house with huge drive, garage, conservatory and garden for £160k! Maybe my estimate of £70 was a little low apologies.
    Last edited by Two Princesses; 01-08-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Without wanting to jump on juliew (I understand your point) but I recently did the following calculations to see what I actually earn per hour.

Income less expenditure, all divided by hours worked.

In terms of hours spent minding children: £3.13ph

In terms of hours worked (includes planning, prep, tidy up, training, etc.): £2.47ph
    Bear in mind this does not account for any loss of earning when training during usual minding hours.

When calculated as a 'per child, per hour' figure (not including planning, prep, tidy up, training, etc.): £1.83

This does not allow anything for my initial set-up costs, though I did include a figure for annual costs, such as insurance, memberships, reg fees, etc. averaged out over time.

I don't need to remind CMs this makes no allowance for unpaid sickness/holiday, lack of any of the legal or other benefits usual to employees, or the fact that I can be temporarily closed for periods of time for no fault of my own and without compensation.

What's worrying is that I freely admit I'm certainly not the cheapest CM in a 5 mile radius, and I can only do it because my dw is the main earner in the hosehold. I have no idea what many CMs live on.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the vast majority of parents have chosen to have/keep a baby/child. People see it as a right to have children without considering the costs.

This just doesn't seem to apply in any other walk of life. I'd like to have a holiday every year, but I won't get any sympathy by moaning about the cost, insisting that the hotel staff should work for a couple of quid an hour, and why doesn't someone else pay for it because I have a "right" to a break.

Much of the problem is the lack of state funding. But people who keep comparing us to the Scandinavian model conveniently forget to mention that they pay higher taxes to support it.

Another thing is that we've got economically locked into ridiculous house prices, because people have been obsessed with property as an investment, rather than as a place to live.

Real wages for most people are too low, whilst the top earners/wealth-owners are massively over-paid.

notts Guest

I still think CMs aren't paid enough for the work and responsibility it comes with

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge £3.50 per hour before/after school and same if schoolies come in holidays. Parents provide all food and drinks for this rate.

Another local minder charges £10 per session after school, this could be up to 4 hrs and she provides food/drinks

I guess we have to set our fees depending on where we live and whether or not there is local after school clubs etc.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Well, if you're doing it as a hobby, go ahead. How on earth is it worth your while?

At that rate, I'd gladly subcontract all my minded children and grandchildren to you, and keep the difference in what their parents give me.
    I agree with you

I couldn't feed the older ones on that
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 09-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast