Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Confused about what to charge...

I have an enquiry, care required from 7.45am - 12.45pm, (drop at school) and then from 3.45pm - 6.30pm.

I have a daily fee of £35 which applies to 8am-6pm. A part time fee of £5ph and a unsocial fee of £6ph outside of my normal working hours.

If I charge the £35 plus £6 to cover the unsocial hours it's £41 a day. Which seems quite steep considering I won't have him for 4 hours in the day. If I charge the £5ph it adds up to even more.

Oh and I have a full week fee of £160 just to confuse myself further lol!!

I was thinking of just charging the daily fee and include the unsocial hours into that.

What would you do?

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I was confused just read it i've always charged a hourly rate. If it was me then i'd just charge your day rate and if your doing holiday care too them in the holiday charge your out of hours then. Does that make any sence

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi ,
    I'd charge the day rate plus the unsocial hour. If queried by parents, I'd explain that the part time rate, (put in place for partial uptake of early years spaces so that I can still earn a living ) would be more expensive

It would be tempting to offer less, but you will be starting early and finishing late and are unlikely to fill the gap in hours, so you may start to resent the extra time if you are not charging for it fair and square...

Up to you though - and you could have a compromise ready (small! e.g.discounted part time rate: £4.50 plus £6 for the 2 x unsocial half hours..??) in case the parents faint at the cost

good luck, let us know how it goes

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh this makes me glad I don't do Daily or Weekly Fees!

I charge by the hour for the hours the parents want.

I work from 7am to 6.30pm if needed so it would be the hours from 7.45 to 630 so 10 hours 45 mins charged for x the number of days.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If the school were to close between the times they're not contracted would you be expected to have the child?

If so, I'd be charging the day rate plus any unsocial hours

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Gosh this makes me glad I don't do Daily or Weekly Fees!

I charge by the hour for the hours the parents want.

I work from 7am to 6.30pm if needed so it would be the hours from 7.45 to 630 so 10 hours 45 mins charged for x the number of days.
    This is what I would do too. I charge if a child is at playschool for a morning or afternoon session so it would be the full 7.45 - 6.30

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the replies, it really helps me realise I'm not being unusual for thinking of charging for a full day, regardless of not being here for 4 hours.

Rickysmiths, I agree it would be simpler to just have an hourly rate, but it's the norm round here and when I started I just wanted to offer similar to established minders.

She's supposed to be coming tomorrow evening for a meeting, so will see how it goes.

Thanks again!

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

So glad i just do hourly rate,as unsocial hours is just 15 minutes in morning would not even bother to charge extra as your charging while child in school ,but we all have different ways

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karen m View Post
    So glad i just do hourly rate,as unsocial hours is just 15 minutes in morning would not even bother to charge extra as your charging while child in school ,but we all have different ways
    Yes we do, I don't want to work for free.