do you charge when kids are at school?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default do you charge when kids are at school?

Hi Girls, just wondering what other childminders are doing regarding setting fees for school age children...I have 2 boys before and after school (works out at about 6 hours in total per day between the two) I have heard that some childminders charge an entire day's fee for this and wondered if this is the norm?! I have set my fee for the hours that the boys are actually here and not for the hours when they are school....what do you guys do? Thank you.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge a slightly higher fee for the before and after school hours and holidays, but no charge during school hours

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not heard of any childminder who charges for during school hours!

I'd be LOADED if we did - I have 15 before/afterschoolers
    Last edited by Bridey; 27-06-2012 at 09:02 PM.

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont charge while they are at school but do charge for pre schoolers only doing 3 hours at nursery and with me rest of day.. in fact works out i dont charge as i do discounted full week
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't see how ANYone can charge for the school hours - for what - they are not holding up a place - you can only have 3 under 5's and you can still do this whilst the children are at school.

To me, this is little more than a rip off though this is not the first time I have heard of/come across threads where parents have been charged for this by their CM

THe only time it might apply is for a 4 year old in full-time nursery at a school/private school as this does not count as a rising 5 but other than that - do what you are doing and I'd challenge those other cm's on what they are charging for
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are at full time school then I just charge for before and after school with a minimum of 2hrs per day.
    If they are in Playschool then I do charge while they are there as It's very hard to find someone who just wants those couple of hours. I also need to keep the space open for them incase the playgroup has to close at short notice for some reason.
    Toothfairy

mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering the same as I have a full timer going to school, I didn't want to Charge for all the hours they are at school, but was thinking of charging a retainer during those hours as she would still need me in school hols, I've had this little one since he was 5 months old and now my wages will be halved.

It would be fine if I had another 9-3pm term time child, to cover the place he wont be using, but not likely to fill the place with them hours.

Hmmmmmm what to do......

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sammykins View Post
    I was wondering the same as I have a full timer going to school, I didn't want to Charge for all the hours they are at school, but was thinking of charging a retainer during those hours as she would still need me in school hols, I've had this little one since he was 5 months old and now my wages will be halved.

It would be fine if I had another 9-3pm term time child, to cover the place he wont be using, but not likely to fill the place with them hours.

Hmmmmmm what to do......
    well you will probably fill his space with another under 5 hon, who will hopefully also come in the holidays or not, there is no reason you can't also have your LO as a rising 5 as long as you are not already up to full numbers for your 6 children under 8 years.

Mar02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My sisters childminder charges whilst they are at school

She didnt know and had a shock when the 1st bill came - and then had to change her working hours!

- some of the parents pay it too!!

Hmm, I have 4 at school all day!!

Rachel x

mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply, it's more the numbers as I only have 3 places, which are taken at the mo, and space is limited in the car. Couldn't have new one for school hours if they also wanted hols , as still like to take them out x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No I don't charge when at school. Have slightly higher charge for hours before and after. x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply, it's more the numbers as I only have 3 places, which are taken at the mo, and space is limited in the car. Couldn't have new one for school hours if they also wanted hols , as still like to take them out x
    you only have 3 under 8 spaces in total? so if I understand you right, this child will go to school and you will have the choice of EITHER taking on a new child under 5 full time OR keeping this child as an after schoolie?

It would be a no-brainer for me hon, I'd be taking on another full timer. As for the holidays, I often have to do lots of walks, buses, trains as I can't take the car most days of the holidays as I have a small car and too many kids.

I think it's awful that minders are charging school age children for a full day whilst they are at school - can't believe parents will pay it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post

I think it's awful that minders are charging school age children for a full day whilst they are at school - can't believe parents will pay it
    Parents round here certainly wouldn't pay it.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    you only have 3 under 8 spaces in total? so if I understand you right, this child will go to school and you will have the choice of EITHER taking on a new child under 5 full time OR keeping this child as an after schoolie?

It would be a no-brainer for me hon, I'd be taking on another full timer. As for the holidays, I often have to do lots of walks, buses, trains as I can't take the car most days of the holidays as I have a small car and too many kids.

Yes that's right, I have 3 boys myself, so in a 7 seater, unless I tie them to them roof rack, I can only have 3 cminded ones. I would love to have a full timer instead of b4 and after school, but I would have him in hols too, so. Suppose at least I have him all year round. That's why I was wondering if anyone charges a retainer for the school hours to keep their place for holidays, I wasn't going too, but just wondered what others do in that situation,

Pipsqueak Guest

Yes that's right, I have 3 boys myself, so in a 7 seater, unless I tie them to them roof rack, I can only have 3 cminded ones. I would love to have a full timer instead of b4 and after school, but I would have him in hols too, so. Suppose at least I have him all year round. That's why I was wondering if anyone charges a retainer for the school hours to keep their place for holidays, I wasn't going too, but just wondered what others do in that situation,
    I have 3 children and a 7 seater. If I am up to my ratios then we walk, bus, or go by train. I have taken 12 children to newcastle on the train - there and back safely.

Are all 3 of your children in your EY age group then?

I'm not really following - sorry

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a cm my way who charges half fee for school age children while they are at school as she will only take a max of 3 in total on cos of car space. If the children are with her before they start school I can understand them wanting to keep them with her but not sure if she would get new work this way? I find it difficult enough to charge when they are at pre school!

mar 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    I have 3 children and a 7 seater. If I am up to my ratios then we walk, bus, or go by train. I have taken 12 children to newcastle on the train - there and back safely.

Are all 3 of your children in your EY age group then?

I'm not really following - sorry
    No my boys are 5, 6 and 11, and the ones I mind are ey. I wouldn't want to take on more than 6 at one time, as I like to know I can fit them in a car in case of an emergency, taking them to clubs, parks where you can't get transport too, our whole day would be taken up by travelling, I have enough with the amount of times I'm in and out of the car, not to mention the time limits of getting to one place to another. Just want to keep within my numbers and make the most of my spaces.

jan 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Default school age children

i only charge while there at pre school if i have them before and afterr ,i dont charge for school age children that are at school all day