holiday same time as mindee
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    toddlers896 Guest

Default holiday same time as mindee

Hi

My mindee told me she was having a holiday second week in september. I was going to be having the first week in september but becasue it doesnt matter to me when i have mine i told her i would take it the same time as her so she doesnt have to find somebody else.

if ime off there is no fee, if she is off she pays half. Who pays?

Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you aren't available then I'd say it's no fee

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

probably not what you want to hear but if youre closed then you cant really charge. sorry.

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    probably not what you want to hear but if youre closed then you cant really charge. sorry.
    yea i see what you mean. it looks like i have done her a favour then.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Full rate for the week you were originally going to take off as the child can now attend as normal and no charge for the week you are both off together.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If parents book hoildays first & I fall in with their plans, I charge full fee as normal as they're the ones taking the time off.

If I give them my dates first & they decide to take the same time off, there's no fee as I'm the one booking time off.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you had stuck to your original plans then you would have had two weeks off, one at half fee

I agree with Mouse - I always get holiday bookings in writing and if I decide to take the same week off as them then I still charge as I can prove they made the booking first and I am just trying to help by going the same time.
    Last edited by Bridey; 22-06-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You should have just cancelled yours, no words about taking it at the same time as them....

Post Thanks / Like

Default hols

If they give me more than a months notice then i charge them 50%, , if it's less then it's 100 charge.

If i take holiday it's free for them

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If parents book hoildays first & I fall in with their plans, I charge full fee as normal as they're the ones taking the time off.

If I give them my dates first & they decide to take the same time off, there's no fee as I'm the one booking time off.
    ah see this is what I thought. because they booked the holiday first i thought i would be able to charge them even though i am shut.

Ime in a dilema now!!

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If i take a holiday regardless if it falls in the same time as a parent, i dont charge,
    Different if a parent was taking a weeks holidays and i was still available then i would charge as i would still be available to have there child

toddlers896 Guest

thanks for your advice and views on this one.

I have decided that because my setting is closed I am not charging, as I would have to be available to charge regardless of who took the holiday first.
    Ive done her a favour but as long as they are happy and they appreciate it, i dont mind.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just been on holiday the same week as one of my parents. they booked it first then i decided to go away too. I charged full fee but didn't mention i.was going/went away!!

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

when i take holidays i charge 1/2 rate and the same for bank holidays. if parents take extra days they pay full. nurseries charge 52 weeks a year so why shouldn't we do the same. ncma has been saying for a while we should charge for holiday s but this id different i suppose if you only work term time.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would probably done the same as you if I was only taking a week off and it didn't matter which one and then I would have charged half fee because that is what I charge when I am on holiday.

May I say to those who have commented that you shouldn't charge if you are closed and don't provide a service.

Comments like 'If you are closed you shouldn't really charge'

That is your choice but has never been mine.

I have always charged for my holidays and it has always been full fee until this year when I changed it to half fee and put my hourly rate up. I always charge full fee if the parents are away when I'm not on holiday because I am not a charity and I would go broke if I only charged my parents half fee for their holiday or nothing as some seem to do.

NCMA recommended about 10 years ago that we should take a min of 4 weeks holiday and charge for it.

They also recommended that you should take a few paid training days off in a year as well. I have done this for the last 10 years. I have in my Policies that I can take up to 4 paid training Days every year. This then lets me attend the occasional day time training.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 08-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Feb 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Aug12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I would probably done the same as you if I was only taking a week off and it didn't matter which one and then I would have charged half fee because that is what I charge when I am on holiday.

May I say to those who have commented that you shouldn't charge if you are closed and don't provide a service.

Comments like 'If you are closed you shouldn't really charge'

That is your choice but has never been mine.

I have always charged for my holidays and it has always been full fee until this year when I changed it to half fee and put my hourly rate up. I always charge full fee if the parents are away when I'm not on holiday because I am not a charity and I would go broke if I only charged my parents half fee for their holiday or nothing as some seem to do.

NCMA recommended about 10 years ago that we should take a min of 4 weeks holiday and charge for it.

They also recommended that you should take a few paid training days off in a year as well. I have done this for the last 10 years. I have in my Policies that I can take up to 4 paid training Days every year. This then lets me attend the occasional day time training.

When I originally went on the briefing session (when I first started the CM process) the learning alliance lady taking the session made a point of telling us to make sure we charged for our holidays. It was up to us whether we decided full or half fee but to at least do one or the other.

It is now in my contracts that I still charge half fee for my holidays (although havent taken any yet as cant afford too ) but none of my parents have complained about it being in there.

In my case it wouldnt matter as its half fee for theirs & my holiday however, if it wasnt I think I would have still charged if they booked it before me.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

Comments like 'If you are closed you shouldn't really charge'That is your choice but has never been mine.

Ricky , that was my comment - but the reason I posted this wasnt anything to do with my preferences or my setting. The original post said that the minder did not charge for her own holidays.

June 04
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm same as mouse. If they book the holiday first then i decide to take it off i charge full fee. If i book a holiday no fee!