Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vague Parents, what would you do?

I wonder if I could ask your advice please? I have some parents who want to book their children in together in the school holidays, both children on a Thursday from 10am-2pm. The parents and children know each other. I have minded one of the children on an ad hoc basis a few times (and have an ad hoc contract and booking forms drawn up for them) the other child has yet to visit the setting due to illness, they were due to come for a settling in period in half term. The problem is I can't seem to get either parent to commit to these days. As I have an ad hoc contract with the first parent I don't have any contracted days with them. They have ignored the booking form I sent (they are very averse to any paperwork I produce) and seem to think they can get me to mind at the drop of a hat. I have made it clear that I need 7 days notice to mind and any dates cancelled within 4 weeks notice incur the full fees. This is on the contract and booking form. I am starting to get enquiries about holiday minding now and don't want to reserve this day if they then change their minds at the last minute. What would you do in this position, ask for a retainer/deposit or insist on payment up front? They also seem oblivious to the fact that they have to pay when they are on holiday - I charge full fee for this and nothing for when I am away. As they are on an ad hoc contract it is hard for to insist on this (they didn't ask for a set day when they started hence the ad hoc contract and after the hols I expect it to go back to ad hoc anyway as they start school in september)

As I already mind all day Monday and Wed in the hols, and am aiming for a 3/4 day week (I have two small children myself) everyday is precious. I am also slightly concerned about the shortness of the day they are proposing, it eats up the entire day as it is bang in the middle, but I am only getting 4 hours pay. Do any of you have a minimum hours policy?

The parent of the child I have already minded is very difficult, she is always late, critical and rude and I would rather not have to deal with her at all, but her child is lovely and as I am fairly new to minding and only have 2 regular children, I don't feel I can start turning people away yet! Oh, why is it so difficult (and why is it always the parents?!)

Sorry this is so long winded and confusing - I am finding childminding a bit like that

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok well as someone who has been minding for a little while now I always think that you need to start as you mean to go on.

Don't see it that you are turning away work - you have given the parents opportunities to commit to dates and they haven't, if the hours they want are not available then as harsh a lesson it is for them, they won't be available. The hours are still up for grabs - so when you get enquiries work on the principle that you have hours spare. When the original parents do finally confirm dates - if the hours are available offer them - if they are not then advise them you don't have space. Reconfirm then that by not completing a booking form and paying for the hours in advance they are gambling that the hours will be available.

The business side of childminding is simply supply and demand - just like renting a cottage or booking a hotel room - you need a room for a certain date, you pay a deposit to secure that date, if you don't then there is no g'tee someone else hasn't booked the space. Don't feel any guilt for trying to run a business - they cannot have it both ways.

Adhoc though means that they can have care when its available so as such you can't charge for holidays if they don't have days booked in. But once a date is booked in - its payable unless cancelled with the appriopriate notice.
    If they want g'tee every thursday then they need to sign a contract to that effect - else on adhoc contract they take pot luck if its available.
    Last edited by uf353432; 16-06-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do not commit a place to anyone who is not prepared to commit to you. If they have ignored the booking form, won't pay a deposit and do not want a contract for that regular day then, as far as I am concerned it is available and you are perfectly entitled to look elsewhere.

You aren't turning them away but it would be a shame to miss out on any other enquiry that may be from a nicer family with more hours, higher fees and all your paperwork signed without question. If you fill the places, then you just inform your ad hoc families that the place is not longer available. They can't complain - they don't have a contract with you!

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I totally agree, you can't turn away work just in case these parents want you. If you hold a four hour slot then you have lost this day to offer to a full time child. Put your business first these sort of parents have to learn it's not all about them
    Cath

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

When parents ask for a holiday day, I say it's available at the moment, I will give you a form when you return it with the days fee I will put it on the calendar as confirmed. Obviously if someone else asks and pays first it will go to them.

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, that is so helpful! I was getting myself tied up in knots just thinking about it but all your replies make perfect sense. I will give them both one last chance to 'book' those dates; sending the booking form, asking them to fill out their dates (making sure they understand the 4 week cancellation policy) and making it clear that other dates may be available 'last minute (as they may not want to book every thursday if they are going to take holiday- although as they know my holidays dates for August they have the option to take them then anyway). The other lady that is enquiring has a lovely 3 month old baby, is organised, on time and efficient and I don't want to lose her to what, to be frank, is a very difficult mother! Thanks again everyone

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

P.S. completely unrelated, but does anyone know how I can change my status as it appears on the top left please? I am still down as a non registered parent!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SusieH View Post
    Thanks everyone, that is so helpful! I was getting myself tied up in knots just thinking about it but all your replies make perfect sense. I will give them both one last chance to 'book' those dates; sending the booking form, asking them to fill out their dates (making sure they understand the 4 week cancellation policy) and making it clear that other dates may be available 'last minute (as they may not want to book every thursday if they are going to take holiday- although as they know my holidays dates for August they have the option to take them then anyway). The other lady that is enquiring has a lovely 3 month old baby, is organised, on time and efficient and I don't want to lose her to what, to be frank, is a very difficult mother! Thanks again everyone
    If you're doing ad-hoc bookings then I'd insist on payment at the time the booking is made - that protects you if they change their mind as you may have turned down other work.

If you already have someone else who wants the spaces I would take them on (no more chances for the others who haven't bothered to get back to you)

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Jul 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, yes I will do that and as I haven't already stated that I will tell them when I contact them for the last time. That way they have to commit and, TBH if they changed their minds then and use someone else I won't be heartbroken

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't feel at all bad about letting these people down - they have had their chances.

I only accept full day bookings in the holidays, and then take full and non-returnable payment up front.

Like a lot of things it is something I've got firmer about after being messed about once too often.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mummits View Post
    I wouldn't feel at all bad about letting these people down - they have had their chances.

I only accept full day bookings in the holidays, and then take full and non-returnable payment up front.

Like a lot of things it is something I've got firmer about after being messed about once too often.
    same here!

APART from a child i have for respite care. child comes for 3 hr sessions/mornings once or twice a week and LA pay in arrears, but last summer managed to pay me in august for july & august. i only release a couple of days a week for this child, so that i'm not tied to being home, and usually, i do need to be home for LOs to sleep in the afternoon once or twice a week. it was suggested that child came to me for whole day, but i don't think child or i could cope, and neither did LA !!!