Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Late paying parents :-(

Ok, so I am newly registered and have taken on a little girl. Although I only mind her for 18 hrs a week, I have to keep the whole week free as her mum works shifts so needs different days and times each week. I realise that I am 'losing out' by doing this but don't mind as it allows me to have some time with my own baby who is 10 months.
    My problem is that it is only week 2 and already I have had to wait for payment - it came 2 days late. I didn't charge extra, although it is our contract.
    How do I make sure it doesn't happen - well try to make sure?
    In the begining I gave the parents the choice of weekly/monthly payment (in advance) and they chose weekly.
    Help - I know I need to be stronger! but how?!

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did you mention anything to her or did you just quietly wait? Its so hard, I get embarrassed when they pay late while parents don't seem to have a conscience about it at all!

Did they bring the child to you during the two days when they should have paid you or did they bring the payment on the first day they used you? If that was the case then maybe you could explain to them that you must be paid on the Monday (or whatever day it was) as stated in your contract and perhaps it would be easier for them to set up a regular payment via their bank into your account.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bridey, thanks for replying.
    I had child Mon, Tues and wednesday. Payment should have been Monday.
    I didn't ask for payment when she dropped off on Monday as mum was late for work. When she collected I didnt mention it - as you say I was a bit embarrassed. On Tuesday Mum said when she collected that she would give it to me on Wednesday as she hadn't been able to get to the bank (this was at 1pm). Also that it would be on collecting the child to enable her to go to cashpoint after work - I ended up having the child late in order for her to do that to!
    I did get paid on Wednesday when the child was collected.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It is hard asking for your money I don't like asking. Perhaps you could change payday to the first day of the weeks shifts,(for the week in advance) she will know what days she will need you at the end of each shift pattern the week previous, so could get the money ready for the first day. Hope this makes sense, it does in my head but not sure if it comes out the right way on paper good luck

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Cathtee - Yes thats how it is set up. Payment is due the first working day of the week - not necessarilly Monday. Next week I am having her Tues - Thurs so payment due Tuesday :-)

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patalexander View Post
    Hi Bridey, thanks for replying.
    I had child Mon, Tues and wednesday. Payment should have been Monday.
    I didn't ask for payment when she dropped off on Monday as mum was late for work. When she collected I didnt mention it - as you say I was a bit embarrassed. On Tuesday Mum said when she collected that she would give it to me on Wednesday as she hadn't been able to get to the bank (this was at 1pm). Also that it would be on collecting the child to enable her to go to cashpoint after work - I ended up having the child late in order for her to do that to!
    I did get paid on Wednesday when the child was collected.
    That is not acceptable. I would drop her a quick polite letter explaining that, while you enjoy working for her and looking after little ***, you do expect payment in advance as agreed and to collect the child late and pay at the end of the weekly sessions has caused you some difficulty. Don't mention late payment fees at this stage - just politely and firmly remind her of what you agreed together on your contract and see what happens. Quite often parents just need to be given some firm behaviour boundaries ... like their children
    Last edited by Bridey; 26-04-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive had this with one of my parents. Every month there has been an excuse as to why they couldnt pay me but it was only a day or two late. Last month it was 10 days late, child was ill, and they ignored my messages about payment so I sent them an email and letter put through their letterbox that if I didnt receive payment by the next day I would apply late payment charges - I got paid within the hour!! Im wondering what will happen this month but I will have no hesitation to charge late payment charges if it happens again.
    I was embarrassed like you to start with but you soon learn to toughen up

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone,
    Well its happened again this week! Payment was due yesterday (first day of the week). Nothing was said when the child was dropped off (but we were just about to leave for the school run so no time). When Mum collected child I spoke to her about some extra hours she wants this week and how i'd charge her, I then handed her my invoice for this week - she didn't say a word about payment! My fault for not asking straight out though I know.
    Today I will have to ask - I know that I have to nip it in the bud or it will continue!

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh how awkward. Could you maybe drop her a text reminding her that payment is due on the first day of the week and that you rely on that to provide the resources for her daughter? I dont know about you, but I always feel a bit bolder behind a text than face to face. x

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, that is what happens if you say nothing!

Don't send a text - actually ask her face to face. Texts are not business like and you need to put your professional head on to deal with this situation so you look like you mean it! Do not be embarrassed - SHE is the one who should be embarrassed.

Post Thanks / Like

She's got away with it once so she's trying it again.

You HAVE to nip it in the bud now or you will have this every week which is unfair and not what was agreed.

I'd strongly advise you in future to be paid monthly in advance.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good advise from everyone.

I would definitely write a fees policy. I only did this last Sept having been minding for 17 years! I write all the late payment fees and payment day on my contracts and that has worked fine but then I had a couple of PITA parents one after the other!!!

I also take a four weeks fees Deposit that I keep until the end of the contract to cover the 4 weeks notice period if all fees are paid up to date. With a parent like yours this would be based on the highest fee month.

I agree with Bridey. Never text with regard to a business matter because it nearly always looses you your proper communication. With this lady you have got to get tough fast and yes it is hard. I always say to parents when they sign a contract that I get embarrassed about money and that I expect to be paid on time. I find then that is is not as personal if I do have to get tough.

If she hasn't paid you this morning I would write a short letter explaining that payment is due on the first day of care each week and that means at drop off in the morning on that day. That she has paid late every week so far and you would appreciate that it happens on time from now on.

Give her the letter tonight.

If the same thing happens next week then you do another letter and you add late fees to her payment. You can then say that you are disappointed to to have been paid on time again and it is not what is agreed in the contract.
    You regret that you are now adding late fees of xxxxxxxx. If payment is not on time for the next four weeks you will then have no alternative to change payments to monthly (with adjustments paid in the week they happen) in cash on the first day of care each month.

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Good advice i know!
    I know what I HAVE to do - Its just doing it!
    I will say face to face, I agree that a text is not the way I want to do things - I believe that I am fair and approachable, but maybe I am coming accross as 'soft and a pushover'.
    One thing that makes me wonder is that mum often says how lucky I am to be able to do this instead of going back to work ( I have a baby and didn't return to my old job, choosing to childmind instead). Im thinking that maybe she sees it as a passtime for me and not that it IS my JOB!!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Good advice i know!
    I know what I HAVE to do - Its just doing it!
    I will say face to face, I agree that a text is not the way I want to do things - I believe that I am fair and approachable, but maybe I am coming accross as 'soft and a pushover'.
    One thing that makes me wonder is that mum often says how lucky I am to be able to do this instead of going back to work ( I have a baby and didn't return to my old job, choosing to childmind instead). Im thinking that maybe she sees it as a passtime for me and not that it IS my JOB!!

I threatened late payment charges last month when payment was 10 days overdue following advice given on this forum. This month I got paid 1 day early!!!
    So definately worth putting your business head on and get tough! Im going to introduce deposits too now to new business as I havent done it in the past but you learn by your mistakes.

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One thing that makes me wonder is that mum often says how lucky I am to be able to do this instead of going back to work
    Reply with "Yes, running my own business and being my own boss is fantastic but not when I don't get paid on time"

May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank for the advice re. texting. I think I need to learn and remember that these people are "clients" that I am providing a service to, and not my friends, however well we get on. I need to toughen up a bit!!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of my parents pay late by 1 or 2 days every month and it drives me mad. This morning I got tough and sent an e-mail saying they need to pay on time as I have outgoings too and how would they like it if they didn't get paid on time.

I hope it works and the money comes on time from now on!!
    “Children are like wet cement. Whatever falls on them makes an impression.”

Jan 201
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well - I did it! lol. I spoke to mum when she collected the child yesterday. I just asked if there was a problem with our payment dates that needed looking at. She replied that she had simply FORGOTTEN to pay me!
    She asked if she could give it to me today and that she would make sure that it was on time next week.
    Lets see how that goes................hopefully all sorted!

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully she'll get the message now!
    One of my parents pays late every month-usually just by a few days but it's SO annoying as I know she's been paid the week before. She always 'forgets' and when reminded her attitude is "ooh,what AM i like?!"...cue another 2 days waiting-she is my main source of income as i have her daughter full time and son before + after school so i'm asking her for £800-£900 some months...i get really tongue tied and embarrassed having to remind her every month as I definitely haven't found my business head yet!

I need to man the 'fudge' up!!!!

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I always used to have parents who would try and get out of paying, i've got to admit i'm a lot harder now .When we sign contracts at the very beginning i make it clear that if i am not payed on the first day of the week that their child is being minded then i dont mind, i was once told that this is illegal for me to do this!! i have still chosen to do it this way and it works!! i never have any parents now who don't pay on time and if on the very odd occasion they forget to bring payment then they know they have to go to the cashline there and then. I know it sounds a bit harsh but at the end of the day i have bills to pay just like they do and i need to know exactly when the money i am earning is coming to me to pay my bills. It's never caused any problem with any of the parents i have , i get on well with them all and will continue to do as long as they pay on time

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast