Legal action to get payment from Children's centre
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Legal action to get payment from Children's centre

Between September and December I did 3 hours a week work for the local children's centre, the deal being that they would apply for a grant in September to pay me, which would be in by the time I finished the work. In January they confirmed that they had not applied for the grant, would do so ASAP and I would receive payment ASAP.

2 weeks ago I contacted them again, they asked for my bank details and promised to pass them to head office for payment. I still have not been paid and have lost patience so have decided to take legal action. I don't want to but can see no other way as I need the money, it may not be the greatest amount in the world but that extra £100 would come in very handy!

Has anyone taken anyone to the small claims court for fees, how long did it take etc, I can't seem to find anything other than forms etc

Thanks

Jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor you, that is really unprofessional of them!
    Did you have a contract or anything in place?
    Was it for 'session work' or as cm, as I have done both in the past.
    I would write them a formal letter asking for payment and state that if you haven't received it by xxx date then you will be taking legal proceedings.

Can't really help with the court business, but hopefully someone who knows will answer soon.

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thats really bad. Can you contact their head office your local early years team??

Feb2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, it was as a CM, looking after one of the attendants on a parenting course' child. I don't have an official contract, but I do have email contact confirming dates and rates of pay.

I was worried about the effect legal action might have on any kids I have but have looked at the activities I do and can happily manage without going to a childrens centre if it gets messy.

It is just so frustrating as I thought I was doing them a favour, was flattered to be asked when there are so many other CM's in our area, maybe they have not paid them either and saw a new sucker on the block. I have not asked any of the others, primarily as the parent lives in our village so I would be breaking confidentiality if I revealed she was not the one paying me..............

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

that is shocking behaviour from them hon. Use the e-mail and send to the manager explaining that you hate to have to do this but you really need the money and please would they pay immediately or you feel you will have to take it up with the local authority. Tell them you worked on trust without a contract as you felt you could trust them. They will have you signed in and out each time you were there so no worries on proving it.

is the centre attached to a school. I'm sure if they are the school would cover this cost.

let us know how you get on.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

Default moneyclaimonline

Hi,
    I've taken legal action before- try moneyclaimonline.
    Firstly - send them a written invoice,if u havent already done so, with a pay by date on it!
    Then send a reminder 2 weeks later.
    then write giving an ultimatum date when u will start legal action.

Taking these steps first makes it simpler to write up that u have done all u can to chase the debt yourself before taking legal action.

moneyclaim online - 1 simple form online, for the amount u r chasing it will probably be £25 costs upfront - pay by card online, they add this to your bill they chase from the debtor.

We had a phone call within a few days of lodging our claim from our debtor and they were on our doorstep within minutes of that call with the cash!! It scared the pants off her to get a court letter, yet she had ignored 3 hand delivered invoices/letters from us.

It is very empowering to know it will be easy to collect any debts owed in the future - obviously they will only be bothered if they have a credit history to protect.

Good Luck - let us know if it works x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

good advice above but I'd still inform centre that your plan is to do this to give them one more chance - they probably hope you won't pursue it and shocking as their behaviour is you ideally want to get on with the centre in the future.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I did some work for our local CC and kept having to badger them for the money, I ended up having to go through County Hall as it's them that pay the funding to the CC.

If you can talk to the Early Years Funding Team they might be able to help.