Registered Childminder since
    Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default eyt standards help....

Hi

I have been trying all afternoon to try and think what i can add to these standards and am really struggling.

2.2 need to show a broad understanding of childrens learning and development??

Any ideas? really stuck and fed up with it all now, they seem to want so much. Haven't even started the asssignments yet.

tia

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I can't help, hardly understand the question to be honest, I'm sure some one will be along shortly who can help x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Tia/Karen

Who is asking you these questions?!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol @ Hello Tia Sorry Charlotte, Tia is a acronym for Thanks in advance. I think her name is Karen....

Sorry op, maybe you could give more info in the post about your question as we don't have all the assignments sat in front of us.

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

It's not the assignments it's the standards that I am asking about.
    Easier to just look at the paperwork.

Karen

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

did you have a handbook? our handbook had brilliant examples of documents and examples you could use for each standard - and obviously you can cross reference them if they cover more than one standard.
    Could you contact your tutor or mentor for more information?
    Think about what you do every day to show not only that you understand children's development but how you implement within your practice activities that demonstrate this understanding.

So if your degree was in child development you will have learnt certain theorists suggest children learn through doing - so when you are counting steps a child is learning about numbers and when a child is playing with water they are experimenting with flow and gravity etc. Obviously its a lot more in-depth than this but basically the assessor wants to see not only your understanding of child development but your use of it in your practice and how you then model this practice to others.

Don't have the new standards in front of me so can't reply specifically to each standard sorry.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    Hi

I have been trying all afternoon to try and think what i can add to these standards and am really struggling.

2.2 need to show a broad understanding of childrens learning and development??

Any ideas? really stuck and fed up with it all now, they seem to want so much. Haven't even started the asssignments yet.

tia
    I am not sure if I understand the numbers you have quoted under 2.2 such as 1.2, 2.3 and it would help to know what training it relates to :NVQ3 or something else?
    What you are being asked is your knowledge of child development, ages and stages and how they learn so that would include their learning style and also your teaching style: how do you extend their learning, do you use Sustained Shared Thinking, do you 'scaffold' their learning starting from what they can already do...all these are theories and have been mentioned by Bluebell

How children learn is dictated by their Characteristics of Learning too

There is a very good book that gives general guidance by Linda Pound 'How children learn'.

Hope it helps but come back if you need more support

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I assumed she was asking about EYT standards? There is a specific standard on Sustained Shared Thinking.
    For mine I did outings and stories around a theme and then used items we'd collected on our outings to make a relevant craft item for my observed assessment.

I did seaside theme and stories such as tiddler. we coloured in little fish and cut out pictures of tiddler and other appropriate pictures. When it came for my observation we then we used sand and shells collected on our trip and the pictures we'd already made to make aquariums from shoe boxes. The children chatted about their visits and the stories so it worked as a really good way to show SST aswell as quite a few other standards. (Which are different now so not sure which number relates to what)

One of my assignments also included SST as we loved the owl babies story and then went on a visit to a wood and 'found' owl babies and made them a nest as described in the book using leaves and twigs.

It can seem quite overwhelming at first but as you look into it more you will find the evidence is there in your practice every day.

10. Likes N/A, Karen1 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    I assumed she was asking about EYT standards? There is a specific standard on Sustained Shared Thinking.
    For mine I did outings and stories around a theme and then used items we'd collected on our outings to make a relevant craft item for my observed assessment.

I did seaside theme and stories such as tiddler. we coloured in little fish and cut out pictures of tiddler and other appropriate pictures. When it came for my observation we then we used sand and shells collected on our trip and the pictures we'd already made to make aquariums from shoe boxes. The children chatted about their visits and the stories so it worked as a really good way to show SST aswell as quite a few other standards. (Which are different now so not sure which number relates to what)

One of my assignments also included SST as we loved the owl babies story and then went on a visit to a wood and 'found' owl babies and made them a nest as described in the book using leaves and twigs.

It can seem quite overwhelming at first but as you look into it more you will find the evidence is there in your practice every day.
    Bluebell... I could not work out what 'EYT' stands for but as the thread is in EYPS maybe they refer to becoming an EYP?
    I have the standards somewhere so will take a look

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

eyt is early years teachers status training.

The standards are the numbers that I need to cover to complete the course.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Karen1 View Post
    eyt is early years teachers status training.

The standards are the numbers that I need to cover to complete the course.
    Now I get it...thank you.
    It is very interesting...so is it QTS or EYPS you are training for?
    could you post the standards as they are described?...I am curious

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

An Early Years Teacher must:
    1.1 Establish and sustain a safe and stimulating environment where children feel confident and
    are able to learn and develop.
    1.2 Set goals that stretch and challenge children of all backgrounds, abilities and dispositions.
    1.3 Demonstrate and model the positive values, attitudes and behaviours expected of children.
    2.1 Be accountable for children’s progress, attainment and outcomes.
    2.2 Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of how babies and children learn and develop.
    2.3 Know and understand the significance of attachment and how effectively to promote
    secure attachments.
    2.4 Lead and model effective strategies to develop and extend children’s learning and thinking
    including sustained shared thinking.
    2.5 Communicate effectively with children from birth to age five, listening and responding
    sensitively.
    2.6 Develop children’s confidence, social and communication skills through group learning.
    2.7 Understand the important influence of parents and/or carers, working in partnership with
    them to support the child’s wellbeing, learning and development.
    3.1 Have a secure knowledge of early childhood development and how that leads to successful
    learning and development at school.
    3.2 Demonstrate a clear understanding of how to widen children’s experience and raise their
    expectations.
    3.3 Demonstrate a clear understanding of the EYFS areas of learning and development and
    engage with the educational continuum of expectations, curricula and teaching of Key Stage
    1 and 2.
    3.4 Demonstrate a critical understanding of systematic synthetic phonics in the teaching of
    early reading.
    3.5 Demonstrate a clear understanding of appropriate strategies in the teaching of early
    mathematics.
    4.1 Observe and assess children’s development and learning, using this to plan next steps.
    4.2 Plan balanced and flexible activities and educational programmes that take into account the
    stage of development, circumstances and interests of children.
    4.3 Promote a love of learning and stimulate children’s intellectual curiosity in partnership with
    parents and/or carers.
    4.4 Use a variety of teaching approaches to lead group activities appropriate to the age range
    and ability of children
    4.5 Reflect on the effectiveness of teaching activities and educational programmes to support
    the continuous improvement of provision.
    5.1 Have a secure understanding of how a range of factors can inhibit children’s learning and
    development and how best to address these.
    5.2 Demonstrate an awareness of the physical, emotional, social, intellectual development and
    communication needs of babies and children, and know how to adapt education and care to
    support children at different stages of development.
    5.3 Demonstrate a clear understanding of the needs of all children, including those with special
    educational needs and disabilities, and be able to use and evaluate distinctive approaches
    to engage and support them.
    5.4 Support children through a range of transitions.
    5.5 Know when a child is in need of additional support and how this can be accessed, working in
    partnership with parents and/or carers and other professionals.
    6.1 Understand and lead assessment within the framework of the EYFS framework, including
    statutory assessment requirements. 1
    6.2 Engage effectively with parents and/or carers and other professionals in the on‐going
    assessment and provision for each child.
    6.3 Give regular feedback to children and parents and/or carers to help children progress
    towards their goals.
    7.1 Know and act upon the legal requirements and guidance on health and safety, safeguarding
    and promoting the welfare of the child.
    7.2 Establish and sustain a safe environment and employ practices that promote children’s
    health and safety.
    7.3 Know and understand child protection policies and procedures, recognise when a child is in
    danger or at risk of abuse, and know how to act to protect them
    8.1 Promote equality of opportunity and anti‐discriminatory practice.
    8.2 Make a positive contribution to the wider life and ethos of the setting.
    8.3 Take a lead in establishing a culture of cooperative working between colleagues, parents
    and/or carers and other professionals.
    8.4 Model and implement effective education and care, and support and lead other
    practitioners including Early Years Educators.2
    8.5 Take responsibility for leading practice through appropriate professional development for
    self and colleagues.
    8.6 Reflect on and evaluate the effectiveness of provision, and shape and support good
    practice.
    8.7 Understand the importance of and contribute to multi‐agency team working.

That is the compete list of standards that I need to give evidence for babies, toddlers adn young children!!

plus write seven assignments

Plus Primary school placement

Write a learning journal every month

research

other essays they send you to complete adn activities.

Plus assessment in your setting.

phew! feel quite sick now reading all that back. No wonder i am bogged down.

You can only complete the course if you have a degree. so like QTS I suspose.

Any ideas for the standards I am stuck on?

Simona Guest

Are you still stuck on 2.2 Learning and Development?

Great standards and you must be able to deal with them easily with your experience...my view it is what you do daily in your practice
    Come back if you want any help ...I am sure I can dig up info from my essays

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

It is all stuff I do on a daily basis, but you have to have paper evidence to show for all children, babies, toddlers and young children! So gets hard to find loads of evidence to cover them enough to fulfill the standard. Can't wait to finish this, but got to get through my Ofsted inspection next week first. Aaaaaarrrg
    So

Yeah still stuck on 2.2

Plus 2.3, 3,1 3,2 5.1, 5.2 6,1

I have shown my certificate from training on child development for 2.2 but it's not enough. I just can't think what paper evidence I can show from childminding to show this

Plus how to I show that I create secure attachments - I can tell you, but how to show it paper wise!

6.1 need to do an assessment, but at moment, none of my children will be needing a two year check - so am trying to think what other assessments I can do!

5.1 factors to inhibit learning and development. Not sure how I can show this really.

5.2 adapting care for all child's needs - I need evidence from all the seven areas here! Have put a visual timetable in for one child I made for to help him with time.

Any help gratefully received on how childminders do these things and what paperwork I can use to show it.

Tia k

Simona Guest

Gosh...I see what you mean...the standards themselves are fairly clear but when you say evidence do you mean 'written' evidence as in writing and essays using your practice as example?
    Can you refer to books ?

6.1 For assessment you can use evidence form your LJ using Formative and how that leads you to Summative and in turn to next steps in Learning and Development? it does not have to be just in the progress check but for other children too ...it seems to link to 2.1

2.3 Attachment could be evidence of practice you have in place to ensure children get to feel secure with you as key person and secondary carer such as home visits and settling-in? Can you quote Elfer and Goldschmied?

5.1 Does it refer to enabling environment, resources, adapting your teaching style to the children's learning style?
    Also providing suitable activities and resources to age and stage so children are not going to fail ...it links to 1.2

I am probably off track...easy to talk about but writing is different I know.

I am sure you are now focussed on your inspection...let us know how you get on

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Get your ofsted out the way and then use your inspection report as a piece of evidence - your Ofsted inspector will probably write things like ' childminder supports learning and development by providing x y z'
    there will be loads from your ofsted inspection showing evidence for all sorts and because you are a childminder it is all down to you!

Not sure what to suggest for assessment - evidence can go back 3 years - have you never done a 2 year check or transition form?

Have you a child moving to school or pre-school that you could summarise their achievements?
    your certificate on child development will show continuing CPD and then you can demonstrate what you actually do on a day to day basis and why you do it to support the specific parts of the childs development.

Reg 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks for all the tips. Yeah I am hoping that the Ofsted report will cover a load of stuff.

No, I have never done a two year check. Have worked in secondary school, nursery, crèche, preschool and now a childminder, but never a two year check! God imagine if I fail cos of a damn two year check form! Lol

Though do have a child going to school in July, but needs to be submitted by June, but suppose I could fast forward it! Thanks didn't think of that.

ousted looming next week, and trying to sort out all my docs to have out-
    Welcome booklet for parents
    Learning journals
    Parent feedback
    Newsletters and photos of activities done
    Folder of old planning, risk assessments etc
    Working folder of current planning, attendance records, permissions etc
    Sef
    Portfolio that I show parents

Anything else? Also got to clean (just normal clean though), decide on activities for next week? Feel a bit stressed about this as going to be observed and don't like to be watched as don't feel like I am being natural with the kids.

Fingers crossed.

Simona Guest

Good luck with your inspection
    Regarding assessment ...we all do them all the time...for babies up to 2 then the progress check and then on after 3...so I am sure you will find lots in your LJs

Don't be stressed by being observed or doing a joint observation with the inspector...a good chance to show your knowledge and skills