Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Observation, assessment, planning and the revised EYFS

As you know, I have been keeping a close watch on information coming out of the relevant authorities about the revised EYFS which is due out soon.

I am particularly interested in how requirements for childminders will change when we are using the revised EYFS... and of course I want to make sure I am preparing myself and my provision so I am ready to use the EYFS from September when it will be made law.

I am reading a lot of information on various websites about the observation, assessment and planning cycle and would like to share the following with you...

Observations
    What you will need to do – watch and listen while children are playing on their own or with you and note their interests, learning styles, schemas, things they say and do.
    Write down what children have said and done using the EYFS Development Matters document as a guide.
    Include information from parents, other provisions and of course the child.

Changes
    • There will be a new Development Matters document
    • You will need to link your observations to 7 areas of learning instead of 6

Assessment
    What you will need to do – continue writing formative (ongoing) assessments of children’s learning and development. This means continue what you already do – watching and listening as children play and considering what their play tells you about them… what they already know, how they think, what they enjoy doing etc.
    Link the assessments to the EYFS revised Development Matters document
    Use your observations and assessments when you are writing children’s individual planning.

Changes
    You will be asked to write a summary (summative) assessment when children are between 2 and 3 years old to share with their parents.
    There will be a guidance document to help with writing the summary assessment.

Planning
    What you will need to do – continue observing children, noting their interests and learning styles, reflecting on what you have seen and heard and planning to meet their needs. Think about how your resources, outings, environment, routines, activities etc support each child to learn and develop to their best potential.

Changes
    • You will need to link your planning to 7 areas of learning instead of 6
    • For younger children (under 3s) you will need to focus your planning on 3 main areas of learning – personal, social and emotional development, physical development and communication and language.
    • For children over 3 who are secure with the skills from the prime areas of learning you will look at the other 4 areas of learning in more detail as well.

I am currently researching best practice advice about how to record children's Learning Journey information...

I will get back to you shortly!

onceinabluemoon Guest

Thank you

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks Sarah. nicely concise (as always )

we have a tool here for the 2 and 3 year checks - one tool you use twice with the three areas, emerging, expected, exceeding. It's great and simple to use and you can complete using what you know about the child, but is only a snapshot and doesn't include the evidence itself. I personally think the report tool should at least have some evidence of how the child demonstrates meeting the targets as I imagine the parents will want to know
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    thanks Sarah. nicely concise (as always )

we have a tool here for the 2 and 3 year checks - one tool you use twice with the three areas, emerging, expected, exceeding. It's great and simple to use and you can complete using what you know about the child, but is only a snapshot and doesn't include the evidence itself. I personally think the report tool should at least have some evidence of how the child demonstrates meeting the targets as I imagine the parents will want to know
    I think the hardest will be when parents disagree with our assessments and start telling us what little Johnny is doing / saying at home.

We will sometimes know it's bunkum and sometimes worry about why the child is performing differently in different environments.

Most parents simply won't want their child to 'fail' at age 2 / 3... then what happens?

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a parent now who says B can do x,y and z at home but he never does it with me, so I can see it causing a few issues!!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thank you sarah ... nice and simple

i too have a parent whose child is a genius at home even though child is meeting expectations with me, parent thinks they should be exceeding.

Sept 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I think the hardest will be when parents disagree with our assessments and start telling us what little Johnny is doing / saying at home.

We will sometimes know it's bunkum and sometimes worry about why the child is performing differently in different environments.

Most parents simply won't want their child to 'fail' at age 2 / 3... then what happens?
    i think it's a case of saying rather, we need to just work on getting johnny to expected in these areas and we will work on it together, I hope they wouldn't see it as a fail

I think the way we are asked to do it for the 2 year old project is perfect. Do it at 24 months or near as and then again at 36 to see the progress. However, I think there should be an interim assessment half way so that if no progress is being made we can intervene and speak to parents then.

And if parents say 'they do x at home' I think you are right, if we think parents are right I think we should include that in the assessment but as you said if we know it's parents wanting it to be true then i guess we'd need to ask parents for photos, recordings, examples???
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Sarah, you make it so eay to understand.
    If all else fails......add glitter!

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah x

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah,
    I was rather hoping we wouldn't have to do any of that
    Carol xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah xx you are too good to us xx thanks for all your hard work x

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sarah, much appreciated x
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah xx

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah - much appreciated.
    Sandy
    xx

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah. x

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah
    Cherry x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you our Sarah
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast