How long does it take to do an EYFS Summative Report?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No, you are not on your own.... it's too much what we're expected to do, all my parents want is for their children cared for and for them to be safe, happy and have fun... as long as we give children the best opportunities to have lots of life learning experiences then i think thats really the best we can do... we are not teachers, health visitors, social workers or child phychologists!! For example, my little 4 yr old came out of nursery yesterday and i had planned to do some "royal wedding" activities with him, but he looked really disapointed and said he had done "all that!" at nursery, " i would really like to go and play with the big digger in the sand!" he said to me! The thing is, why do children this age do half days at school?! because thats enough for them, they need the rest of the day for free play, or just doing life-learning things, shopping, gardening, cooking, watching tv, going to the park etc etc.... I had a mum come to me recently who said she had been looking for a cm for ages, and had even considered giving up work when she met me.... one of the first things she said was " oh, thank god your normal!!" she said she had been to see so many cms and that they were going on about the eyfs and this and that.... and she said , i just want my child to be in a normal home, doing regular things.... children learn most from just "living".... they are young enough when they start school to begin the formal stuff........
    It never did us any harm!!!
    sorry for babbling on, but..

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by butterfli View Post
    No, you are not on your own.... it's too much what we're expected to do, all my parents want is for their children cared for and for them to be safe, happy and have fun... as long as we give children the best opportunities to have lots of life learning experiences then i think thats really the best we can do... we are not teachers, health visitors, social workers or child phychologists!! For example, my little 4 yr old came out of nursery yesterday and i had planned to do some "royal wedding" activities with him, but he looked really disapointed and said he had done "all that!" at nursery, " i would really like to go and play with the big digger in the sand!" he said to me! The thing is, why do children this age do half days at school?! because thats enough for them, they need the rest of the day for free play, or just doing life-learning things, shopping, gardening, cooking, watching tv, going to the park etc etc.... I had a mum come to me recently who said she had been looking for a cm for ages, and had even considered giving up work when she met me.... one of the first things she said was " oh, thank god your normal!!" she said she had been to see so many cms and that they were going on about the eyfs and this and that.... and she said , i just want my child to be in a normal home, doing regular things.... children learn most from just "living".... they are young enough when they start school to begin the formal stuff........
    It never did us any harm!!!
    sorry for babbling on, but..

This is so true. Why is it when they do all the surveys they never seem to interview these normal parents. Only the ones who are fanatical about their children sitting down and learning at 0 mths!!!

apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

well i can honestly say that ALL of the parents i have really just want their children to be happy, content and safe, and thats exactly what i give them.... tbh i think it's a bit of a mad house here sometimes... kids love it tho'..... last xmas i had 2 of the neighbours children round nearly all day, playing games, running about, just enjoying themselves... my children would never want to be anywhere but home at xmas, but children love it here!!! and i think thats what parents pick up on when they come to visit. I do understand that we need to monitor and record childrens progress, but come on... enoughs enough.... every day i read of something else we should be doing, i mean i read on here about how to plan for a 6mth old, and the replies were.... just plan for what the child needs, i.e sleep.food, milk, naps etc..... WHY??? Would you do that for your own child!! it's a joke!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree , I have never heard of these reports but will leave up to the school teachers to do formal reports, my parents would think I'd finally gone mad if I were to give out reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Well I must be one of the few. I refuse to do such reports. I am not a school and not a Teacher.

My LJ shows how the child is progressing and which goals they are meeting. It is shared with the parents and they are invited to add comments if they wish and I will say a lot don't.

I'm sorry but poor kids, they are Reported on and assessed enough in life as it is and to start at 0 is an absolute nonsense. I don't think the majority of parents want this either.

As long as we are doing the LJ and know our children so we can pick up on developmental issues this is actually more than most parents want. They want their children in a happy safe place. Where their child can play and develop being cared for the way they would be if they were at home with their parents. They want use to be playing with and going out with their children and enjoying life not continually making notes and finely recording every sneeze, burp etc. and analising it.

The world has gone mad and I think a lot of cms are making a lot of unnecessary work for themselves. Sorry.

I am with you children need to play in a safe place. Parent are happy knowing their children are being cared for and happy, not having their children observed at every opportunity. Parents don't understand what they are expected to do within the EYFS (or care).
    Best wishes
    Jay r

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine only take 15 minutes and i do them every term.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12