Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The requirments say that you have to keep a written daily record of the hours the child attends. It doesn't say that you have to keep an attendance register. You could scribble the times on post it notes as long as you have them all there!

Obviously for some people a register works best, but you can use a diary, notebook, anything really.

Also, there is nothing that says you have to get parents to sign it.
    I don't get parents to sign mine. They get tetchy enough with the amount of paperwork I ask them to read and sign as it is

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to just use the NCMA register the way that you're saying - writing in actual times and getting it signed at the end of the week, but my dw was adamant that it should be signed by a parent each time they arrive/depart as you have no proof that it was definetly those times that the child was in your care if you've filled it in yourself, in the event of an incident occuring and someone trying to sue you etc.

I agree it goes against what the NCMA register says to do but I suppose it's just an extra protection for yourself
    Cazz x

Penny1959 Guest

Interesting to read all the different views and ways of recording attendance.

I think as with all things there is not one right way and it is up to us how much info we record and if parents sign or not.

As has been pointed out we all HAVE to record times of attendance - but that can be in any format.

Actual times - to the min, parent signatures etc are all 'extras' that can protect you as show when you had child and if parents have signed on the day there can be no disagreement later on if there is a dispute or allegation.

Personally I use a cheap diary (from poundland) and enter times each child attends, assitant or co worker working, and visitors in (to the minute), parents are asked to sign at end of each day - BUT if I forget or parents in a rush and signatures not obtained some days - I don't worry.

Penny

Oct '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i used ncma ones then produced my own sheet based on theirs, print them off as needed, parent signs at the bottom for the month (as do i). i think it's important to have them as you never know what can arise - money disputes, safeguarding issues, and also helps me when catching up with learning journals
    To the world you are one person, but to one person, you are the world.

MAY 07
    Post Thanks / Like

when i had my inspection 3 years ago i was told that even though i was doing attendance records for each child, it had to be the exact time they arrive. so ive got silly times in mine like arriving at 8.56 not 9.00.
    rather confused now, wonder if i could just start saying 9.00

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Bt 87 View Post
    when i had my inspection 3 years ago i was told that even though i was doing attendance records for each child, it had to be the exact time they arrive. so ive got silly times in mine like arriving at 8.56 not 9.00.
    rather confused now, wonder if i could just start saying 9.00
    No, it has to be the exact time the child arrives/leaves. My attendance register is also full of silly times ie 7.57, 5.26 but that is what Osted need. Exact times, not rounded up or down!!

Don't get my parents to sign though - will only do that when I am told I have to!
    Last edited by Chimps Childminding; 19-02-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the regulations stated that we had to have an accurate record for each childs attendance and have never seen anything that said we had to have an attendance sheet. Therefore I think the lady was correct.
    Debbie

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

As the parents sign I would have an issue of confidentuality is there are names and all the parents are signing the same sheet. It is not everyones business the hours a child is with you or not it is only the childs parents and your business.
    I use MM attendance records- weekly sheets with all the childrens arrival and departure times on the one sheet. Parents and I both sign at the end of the week. So is this wrong then? As one parent can see the names of the other children and what times they were here? Surely if that's not allowed, MM would have to produce a different format?

Can anyone explain/ show me how the NCMA register looks? If it's one sheet per month it must use much less paper than the MM weekly sheets, if so I may be converted, lol!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snufflepuff View Post
    I use MM attendance records- weekly sheets with all the childrens arrival and departure times on the one sheet. Parents and I both sign at the end of the week. So is this wrong then? As one parent can see the names of the other children and what times they were here? Surely if that's not allowed, MM would have to produce a different format?

Can anyone explain/ show me how the NCMA register looks? If it's one sheet per month it must use much less paper than the MM weekly sheets, if so I may be converted, lol!
    The NCMA one is a sheet per month for each child - there's five columns (for months that have five weeks in it). There's a section at the bottom of each column to record non-attending hours that you are being paid for (i.e. at nursery) and then the childminders signature and the parents signature.

It is a good book but as I say I was told by my dw that you shouldn't be getting them to sign once a week - has to be each time they arrive and depart or daily at least.
    Cazz x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    The NCMA one is a sheet per month for each child - there's five columns (for months that have five weeks in it). There's a section at the bottom of each column to record non-attending hours that you are being paid for (i.e. at nursery) and then the childminders signature and the parents signature.

It is a good book but as I say I was told by my dw that you shouldn't be getting them to sign once a week - has to be each time they arrive and depart or daily at least.
    I think she is being overly fussy personally. If NCMA thought this was needed they would have changed the style of their registers and they haven't changed a grat deal in all the time I have been childminding (17yrs) but have always had space to sign weekly..

I think asking the parents to sign once a week is fine and mine often remind me on their last day. I think I would have an issue with 6 parents queing evey morning to sign their child in and then the same at night

Also why is it only childminders she is saying have to do this because I don't believe nurseries do and no pre-school I have ever been to does.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    No, it has to be the exact time the child arrives/leaves. My attendance register is also full of silly times ie 7.57, 5.26 but that is what Osted need. Exact times, not rounded up or down!!

Don't get my parents to sign though - will only do that when I am told I have to!

I was told years ago on a Child Protection Course that it was good practice to get parents to sign to confirm the hours their child was with us to protect us in the case of any alligations.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get parents to sign mine. I use a register style sheet that was provided by my inspector. I write exact times in and out each day.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get my parents to sign my register either and ofsted haven't bought it up with me ..yet!

I will always use my register even if ofsted don't think it's a requirement, I am shocked at this as well, It is for me to use to keep me covered from any untrue allegations

june 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I was always unsure of why we had to do attendance sheets until last year when a child finished with me and mum wanted a list of hours mindee had done for child benefit office, she told me he had been to my setting on weeks that I had marked down as him being on holiday, so she was trying to claim for more than she was entitled to. Always keep attendance up to date now as you never know what could happen in future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I thought the regulations stated that we had to have an accurate record for each childs attendance and have never seen anything that said we had to have an attendance sheet. Therefore I think the lady was correct.
    Yes that is what I thought but the lady from ofsted is saying that any record of attendance (however kept) was just good practice though and not a requirement.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't understand how anyone doesn't get parents to sign at end of the week. My three parents always expect this and often ask if I forget now and again.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    I can't understand how anyone doesn't get parents to sign at end of the week. My three parents always expect this and often ask if I forget now and again.
    But isn't that just because you have always done it? My parents don't expect to sign anything.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a attendance book....i believe it is good practice to keep one, but my parents dont sign it...So should i be getting them too
    Needs to Zumba

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ORKSIE View Post
    i have a attendance book....i believe it is good practice to keep one, but my parents dont sign it...So should i be getting them too
    I do because they are then confirming the time their child was with me. It has heped me on payments where a parent was consistently late and I charged them. they didn't believe they ahd been late as often as they had until I showed them the signed register which they couldn't argue with

Also I was told years ago that from a child protection point of view it was good pratice because if an allegation is made yoou have signed confirmation of when a child was in yoour care.

It is not a requirement but just because it isn't required doesn't meant it isn't a good idea to do. We do a lot of things that aren't compulsory to protect ourselves and the children and to make ourseves look professional.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my own attendance sheets - I don't get parents to sign mine, which my last two inspectors have said is ok by them.
    Georgina x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast