Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am in such a mess.

I have got so far behind with my EYFS paperwork that I cant see a way out. Its now got to me so badly, that I am in tears when I go near it.
    I have 3 babies, 1 I have had for a year in march and I havent done his EYFS since last september, the other 2 babies I havent even started and I have had them since late november. I am 6 months behind with my accounts and I just cant face even trying to sort it out. I feel like giving up, as I dont enjoy the paperwork and its affecting my homelife now as well.
    I have tried to catch up but I sit looking at it all and start to feel ill, I feel like im totally useless at it all, and yet I am fantastic at the hands on stuff, like arts and crafts, playing, being loving......
    Has anyone got any ideas on how I can possibly catch up on 6 months of EYFS before I go completely insane, any help will do, I just feel like I need someone who understands..........

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I am in such a mess.

Hi - I couldn't read and run, I cannot offer much advice as I am also behind with my accounts, as I spend more time thinking about it than doing it. Yesterday I wrote down a to-do list and then a daily schedule to tackle it (3 weeks worth of accounts in an evening, doing this for 3 evenings a week) if this works then I should be up to date in 3 weeks. Then I have made myself a promise to do my accounts weekly or daily if I have spent that day.

I don't think I have helped but at least you know that you are not the only one who is worried about paperwork.
    Sandy
    xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hon, don't worry. I had children from September to May last year and only started their learning journeys last June. I just collected/printed all the obs and pics from the year and put them in a folder. Took me a while, did a bit every weekend (5 children). Once it was done though now I print all the obs I've done each month and a selection of pics monthly and doesn't take nearly so long.

Find everything you've got on the little ones, get some files put what you've got in and work from there.

It'll be fine.

Feb 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'm with you. First of all don't panic, Monday is a new day, new week. I would start afresh and don't worry so much about catching up. Surely it would be better to be showing that you had made a start and you are moving forward one step at a time. Put some time aside to tackle the accounts, it's not that bad, one thing at a time.

I am currently studying for my NVQ3 and getting ready for my inspection so I know what its like. There have been many times where I just look at a blank page, not having a clue where to start. Put it away and try again later.

Let me know what areas you are stuck with, I'll try to help. It does help to talk about things, it will get better, you've just yourself in a bit of a pickle.

July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Hun I have 9 children within eyfs and are WAYYYYY more behind than you are Believe me can I just say, keep a day clear, work on one child at a time, just start from now, dont back track too much or you'll feel like you are going the wrong way down the escalator! start from now, plan each week ahead and just work through it

if you need a chat just pm me, perhaps we can spur each other along xx
    Louise x
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical creatures!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I to am in the same boat. I have seven learning journeys to update, every evening I say I will do a little, then get sidetracked with housework, bathtimes etc.
    Last week though, I took the one folder and typed up all obs, sorted photos and artwork, so I have one completed. It made me feel heaps better.

Maybe try with one task and just work on that until you have updated it.

Not much help I know, but you are not alone.

Take care

Sam x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

i was in a similar position , only i also had policies , procedures still to do , and risk assessments. then after xmas with the threat of ofsted i tried to make a start but the mountain of paperwork i was faced with meant i didnt know where to start and ended up doing nothing! ( apart from coming on here!!)
    I started with some of the things i knew i would find easier - just to get back into the 'habit' iyswim. once youve strarted you kind of get into the flow and will be surprised how quickly it builds up. i agree with the others , focus on one child at a time , dig out your photos if you have any , and they will trigger your memory for what they were doing and when.
    As for the accounts , Ive decided they can wait until after ofsted have been. or the end of march , whichever comes round sooner ( im sure ill have O this month though) .
    Good luck with it all , and i know its really cliched but getting going is the hardest bit - we're here if you need us!

July 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You are NOT alone . . . I was behind in all my paperwork and also 6 months behind on my accounts . . . because it seemed like a HUGE job to do it, I was just leaving it . . . however my first inspection was due and I was stressing BIG style . . . but my sister and mentor recommended that I should break it down and focus on smaller bits . . . it worked a treat and the more I caught up, the more I did . . . I wrote a to do list and tackled one item at a time . . . it really motivated me to complete the rest i.e. I did one child's learning journal, then the next and before I knew it I had finished, next I tackled my SEF, then my risk assessments, etc and all was completed before my inspection (it took me a month but I felt great afterwards).

The only thing I still need to do is my accounts but this weekend I am not going to tackle the whole 6 months, I am only going to do January!!

Remember BITE SIZES!!!! . . . you can do it . . . start on the more enjoyable aspects i.e. for me it was the learning journals, I enjoy that and I have left accounts for last

Good Luck, let us know how you get on!!!

Lovies
    Tam
    x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Will only repeat what others have said take it one step at a time. Myself I would forget about what I haven't done and start next week afresh. Ofsted will not go over every single piece of paperwork they do not have time and if you have gaps explain why. The worst they can do is give you a recommendation about it.

Good luck

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi i can only agree with other posts, small managable bits at a time, don't back track to far, u can say u were getting to know children, i'd work from jan don't type up all obs, i add post it notes of obs to my LJ along with photographs to tell the tale!
    as for accounts, im rubbish totally, i fill in the fee's part and keep all my receipts, put them in monthly envelopes and take it to an accountant friend £50 takes the stress off me, do u know of anyone? leave it for now tho as Ofsted don't need to see it and u don't need to send them up until Oct anyway for this year!
    Good luck xx

apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about getting an Accountant for you bills/accounts? maybe just a one off so your all up to date...

I know its money but i use an accountant every year, I'm rubbish at accounts, i worked myself up over them so much i nearly threw in the towel after 8 months of being registered. Found a fab accountant & now just give him all my receipts-house hold bills & forget about it.

Obs are my down fall too, i have 3 eyfs stage & seem to fall way behind. I caught up with 2 of mine the other week...just made a list of to do's & made time for myself to just sit & work my way through

Your really not alone, they're lost of lovely ladies on here to help you out including me if i can, so chin up & think positive x
    wow 2012 already

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

grab a pen, take one mindee and just note all the ways they've changed since you've had them - so confidence, fav toys now and ones that have been, outings and what they do now and what used to do - any moments you can remember... then jot these down on postits - there are your caught up on obs. Where did they go next - planning! (although I'm missing some planning and am just leaving it!) Then from this week you are set to carry on in a way that suits you

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of advice above, one thing at a time - make a list and work through, aim to do one thing each day or week to catch up.

My accounts were way behind but ok now - I have a daily diary for myself. Jot down what we did in the day, where we went, what I spent and put receipts in an envelope in the back, jot down bus fares/mileage, toddler group entrance fee etc. Then if I am behind in accounts book, it is all there in rough to make sense of. I recommend it, even if it seems like more work at the time. If I go to toddler group I write it down and know I need to add on bus fare and £2.00 entrance.

I take photos and notes of our day or any activity I need to write up and at the end of each day print them and keep in my rough diary again to do in a quiet time. When mindees sleep?
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Pipsqueak Guest

Can I just say something, with all due respect you are not Superwoman/minder/mother so stop beating yourself up hunny.

I am going to admit something here - my accounts are a very last minute job - they get written up in March and submitted on the very last day possible. They take the back seat in my priorities and I know they shouldn't but i hate them.
    I am doing a degree, am a support and vacancy minder, childminder, shadow tutor, mother to three and its a constant juggling act and somewhere along the line something has to give. To top it all my inspection came 6 months early and I had a weekend to get everything up to speed - but I done it and so can you.

As everyone here - bite size chunks. Make yourself list of all the jobs you want to get done (don't be depressed about it - view it as you are taking control and being positive), if there are any priorities - highlight them first.
    If you can set aside some time during the week to do certain things - for me its a Saturday morning. If you aren't in the right frame of mind to a certain job then do something else, I know that sometimes certain jobs you just can't face at times.

Do a job and when you have had enough, put it to one side - go get a cuppa, stack the dishwasher, go for a walk whatever, then come back to it if you can. Bitesize chunks. And remember to congratulate yourself or give yourself a reward on a job well done and remember to tick it of the list when you have done it. I find having music on in the background helps me to concentrate as well.

Can you do bits when the babies are settled/playing quietly/asleep?

You will be fine hunny xxx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PixiePetal View Post
    I have a daily diary for myself. Jot down what we did in the day, where we went, what I spent and put receipts in an envelope in the back, jot down bus fares/mileage, toddler group entrance fee etc. Then if I am behind in accounts book, it is all there in rough to make sense of. I recommend it, even if it seems like more work at the time. If I go to toddler group I write it down and know I need to add on bus fare and £2.00 entrance.
    That's such a simple idea, and I'm going to use it - thanks!!!
    Francine X

sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi..when i first started doing this i was the same..never got into it and struggled but am finding it not too hard now. I used to do very in depth work each week and find it way too hard and with none of the parents fussed it seemed a kind of huge amount of papaerwork too. So I just did it as and when the LO's did something..I have small sheets that i print off that i add to work or photos very kindly shown to me by another CM and it isn't too bad..the hardest bit i find is the photos as never get round to printing them off so cant wait for my Pogo to come!

I have a fair bit to catch up on tbh so dont worry everyone seems to have bits they fall back on..you will be fine..small bits at a time.
    Good luck x

may 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of advice already here i am way behind too !!

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandCastles View Post
    Hi - I couldn't read and run, I cannot offer much advice as I am also behind with my accounts, as I spend more time thinking about it than doing it. Yesterday I wrote down a to-do list and then a daily schedule to tackle it (3 weeks worth of accounts in an evening, doing this for 3 evenings a week) if this works then I should be up to date in 3 weeks.
    Well my plan did seem reasonable when it was written down, but it was too much to fit into an average week.
    I am not kicking myself but have decided to re-write my accounts catch up to-do list and be more realistic.
    Sandy
    xx

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am behind in writing risk assessments and reviewing policies. Had a child start last Sept, and did no eyfs on him really, partly as im finding it hard to get obs on him due to other problems. However i had 2 children start 2 weeks ago, on Tuesday night i started their files and got starting points done and little bit of planning and also made a start on the overdue 1. It really wasn't as much as i was dreading although it did take me hours to write up the little bit's i had.
    You will manage it, just take baby steps till it's all done.