petition against the EYFS at Downing Str.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default petition against the EYFS at Downing Str.

Hi Guys
    I have already posted a thread about this the other day but on another topic. There is currently a petition against the EYFS which is being led by the Open EYE Campaign. ( Open Early Years Education) It already has over 4.500 signatures and runs till Sep 08. Signaturies include Penelope Leach, Sue Palmer Author of Toxic Childhood and many more Early years professionals.
    I hope this helps. The link is http://openeyecampaign.wordpress.com/open-eye-petition/. I hope this helps.
    lots of love
    ubel1

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: petition against the EYFS at Downing Str.

Think someone has already put this link on x
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

son77 Guest

Thanks. I'll take a look xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you I will take a look later!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: petition against the EYFS at Downing Str.

Hi Silv

In support of Sliv and this petition, there are many, many other childminders who are beginning to realise that the imposition of EYFS is a bridge too far when it comes to all aspects of childminding.

Similarly there are now a great many experts and reports which are concluding that there is too much emphasis on "standards" when educating young children and that children in the UK start school too early.

Parents too, will find that with the introduction of EYFS they will have less and less choice when it comes to choosing the type of childcare they want for their children as everyone will be expected to all be doing the same thing.

By Sept 08, all childminders must all have attended numerous courses in their own time and be able to assess, note, monitor and create the environment under which they can all be monitored under 171 headings. If they don't they will in effect be deregistered!

Like schools which have the prime responsibility (after parents) to "educate" children, childminders under EYFS will in effect also be expected to "educate" children in their care to a much higher specified degree than ever before. Schools, however, do not change bottoms, cater for sleeping, undertake spoon or bottle feeding, wipe noses or take children out for walks etc. Similarly teachers do not have regular access to all the parents delivering or collecting their children and yet we as childminders are expected to do all this in addition to the demands of EYFS.

Teachers are trained for three years and paid as such (£20,000+ per annum and rising) most childminders earn less than the minimum wage (36% under £3.00 per hour). Childminders don't get months off for school holidays. Teachers get paid national rates and yet childminders are in direct competition with each other and nurseries etc - whichl keeps the rates they can charge to a minimum
    Teachers who gain qualifications in teaching can earn more accordingly whereas a childminders can have a Phd in childcare and have attended every course under the sun but not earn a penny more.

In 2008 childminders will all have to pay more for their registration fees (to pay Ofsted for the work they do) an increase well above the rate of inflation!Similarly all childminders have to pay for their own mandatory First Aid Course every three years.

Parents get tax breaks to pay for childcare but instead of this enabling childminders to earn a decent wage this money remains in the parents pockets enabling them to spend more on other things. Since the introduction of tax breaks for childcare - the hourly rate a childminder can charge has hardly changed at all.

Is it therefore any wonder why childminders in general are suffering from low morale and feel undervalued and depressed about the changes being foisted upon them. Yes there maybe some that are only too pleased to do all that required of them but they probably have husbands who are in effect subsidising their incomes anyway! Spare a thought for the single mums who are childminders - they are the ones who are feeling the pinch in more ways than one.

As a warning to
    the Government (whose eduction policies have continuously failed our 5-7 years olds year after year),
    Ofsted (who fail to address the needs of individual childminders who lack the necessary individual skills to do the job properly),
    the NCMA (who is supposed to represent us and yet does nothing to ensure we gat a decent pay and with its dwindling membership number just pays lip service to anything the Government wants) and
    the training establishment (that is dependent upon the childcare sector for their livelihoods and continususly reinvents the wheel to keep themsleves in work)

if you the above want childminding to thrive and develope

stop introducing more and more imposed rubbish like EYFS,

get back to the basics of allowing children to have enjoy their formative years instead of being analysed, scrutinised and monitored all the time,

leave teaching children to the professional teachers, and

start looking at those childminders who aren't getting decent Ofsted reports and arrange for them to attend any necessary courses instead of putting every childminder on them to avoid any possibility of confrontation.

If you don't do these things there won't be any childminders left by 2015 as they will have all become so demoralised, that they will simply give up and find other work where they are appreciated and valued!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You have made a very interesting and carefully thought out first post on the forum there 'experienced'... thank you and welcome to the forum.

It is interesting that you make many points against the eyfs but do not seem to consider that everyone on this forum is a childminder who will have to use and effectively implement this new piece of legislation come September and 'sell' it to the parents - it is not going to go away and we will not have a choice.

For this reason, we are all keen to offer our members a balanced viewpoint - yes there are certain parts of eyfs which are cumbersome and difficult, but others are excellent for good practice and can be easily embraced by using much of the good practice we already do.

Also, please do not forget to pop into say hello and introduce yourself to our members...

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Experienced and welcome to the forum....

I have just seen that you have posted in the Say Hello section and will pop over there in a minute.

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am afraid that I agree with Sarah on this matter.

We will have no choice but to implement the EYFS and are trying really hard to put a positive swing on it and to help our members take it a piece at a time and work out how best to implement in their settings.

As Sarah says there are some really areas of EYFS that will help us to improve our practice.
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

May 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Experienced

Thank you very much for your very poignant comment. I absolutely agree that we are supposed to take on the work of teachers but at £ 3.00 an hour and in our own home surrounded by our own children and husbands.
    I am a single parent myself and I work very hard ( between 40 - 47 hours a week ) It is already a challenge to spend time with my son and to do homework, clubs etc. at the moment.
    All my parents are happy with the service they receive, all children have daily diaries until the parents tell me they don't need them anymore. We go to toddler groups, parks, attractions and I provide most of the mindees lunches and snack at a cost of £ 1 to the parents. I am level 3 qualified and I currently undertake my Foundation degree in Early years, I am a network approved childminder and I offer overnight care. There is only so much I can fit in and I feel under pressure as it is. I am not a teacher and I don't feel that this is my job. The children learn from activities we do but this is always through play and through things the children enjoy. Sarah you said we don't have a choice but why not. Why let the government make decisions that are not going to be beneficial to the children we look after. Surely if everyone thought there is no point to voice concerns or to stand up for oneself, dictatorships and other regimes from the past would still thrive now. As it is human nature to stand up for what you believe in. I personally think it is time that childminders that don't agree with the EYFS do just that.
    Of course you are entitled to your opinions Sarah, we all are. If you look on the open eye site it does say that the petition is against the compulsory part of the EYFS and that it should be seen as a guideline of practice not the be all and end all. This would not mean that the EYFS would be abolished.
    As I am currently doing my degree it is interesting to learn just how damaging formal education is to children that are too young and how we can really stifle their learning through teaching in this way.

I know some people say that the EYFS will get rid of bad childminders but there should not be any of those now anyway as we have OFSTED to deal with them. Of course that means someone at OFSTED doing their job properly, which they don't. I have known of some terrible childminders, some were over their numbers constantly and blatently, some swore and smoked in front of minded children, these were all reported, the first ones complaint which was justified never even got put on the report, the second one has a complaint on her record but still has not changed and OFSTED know about it.
    OFSTED needs to take responsibilty for it's own actions at times and not blame childcare providers for bad standards, if these childminders were rooted out early enough children would not be put in danger

Sorry to rant I just had to get it of my chest.

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Thank you for your comments on EYFS.

Although many of agree with what you and Experienced say in principal we are trying really hard to support all our members during this difficult transition.

I believe that we cannot stop EYFS and must therefore try to help and support each other in trying to adapt.

I appreciate your opinions but have noticed that both you and Experienced have joined quite a few forums and have only posted about the EYFS and about the increase in fees.

We are more than happy to listen and respect your opinions as we would with anyone but would ask that you join in with us and not just use our forum for your own agenda's.

Why not pop into the Say Hello section and tell us a little about yourself.
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silvana1 View Post
    Sarah you said we don't have a choice but why not. Why let the government make decisions that are not going to be beneficial to the children we look after. Surely if everyone thought there is no point to voice concerns or to stand up for oneself, dictatorships and other regimes from the past would still thrive now.

I do not for one minute believe we live in a dictatorship or a 'regime'. I think this is one of the most civilised countries in the world and I am proud to be British. I think that the Govt is very concerned about our children's health and eductation and wants to promote the best outcomes for every single child, following the Every Child Matters Agenda. They feel this will be achieved through EYFS... mistakes have been made in the past and they are trying to address them. I am more than happy to run with it and see where it leads. I actually find a new curriculum exciting as, if used properly, it will support and enhance every child's learning journey.

Of course you are entitled to your opinions Sarah, we all are. If you look on the open eye site it does say that the petition is against the compulsory part of the EYFS and that it should be seen as a guideline of practice not the be all and end all. This would not mean that the EYFS would be abolished.

I do not understand what you are frightened about here. Yes, certain parts of EYFS will be law, but much of it will be guidance.

There is very little of the full EYFS that is actually in law - just the Statutory Framework part ie the goals for the end of the EYFS and the newly worded Standards. I imagine you have a problem with the learning goals.. yet these are very similar to the Foundation stage goals which we have all be aiming towards and supporting children to achieve since 2000! Very little has actually changed except some wording issues.

As I am currently doing my degree it is interesting to learn just how damaging formal education is to children that are too young and how we can really stifle their learning through teaching in this way.

Which degree are you undertaking? I am currently doing my E123 and E124 with the Open University. I also have a BA (hons) Education and Audiology, NVQ3 Early Years, Childcare and Education and many other bits and bobs I've picked up over the years.

It is interesting to note how childcare theories have changed over the years. If you look back to when we were at school, then another generation ago, many many theories about the best way to care for children have come full circle. In fact there is an interesting thread on this subject on the forum. We were considering what changes had been made to make education similar to when we were at school - I was researching for something I was writing.

It is clear that 'experts' are not always right and that theories do change with the direction of the wind, especially in the field of childcare.

I am looking forward to embracing the new EYFS and excited about making it work. I am also committed to supporting our members in making it work for them. I feel this is a much better route to take than tilting at windmills.

Talk soon

May 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I don't think we live in a dictatorship, the point I was making is that people who live in a free speech society such as ours can voice their concerns if they have any.
    I feel that the EYFS is a better idea than the b23 and foundation stage which we are currently using and I also like the fact all the standards etc. are in one place, however it is the extra paperwork for childminders, which will be similiar to nurseries which concerns me. Paperwork such as detailed planning, observations and linking all of this to the framework.
    Other childminders I know on my network are also very concerned about the paperwork side of things. Some of the childminders on my network have been minding for over 20 years and most are graded good - outstanding.
    If it was guidance for good practice as the b 2 3 etc. is at the moment which I use and refer to when I think of activities for my minded children. I don't alway write this down as a lot of activities depend on what the children want to do and the weather etc.
    Our group rep has been to a EYFS meeting especially for group reps the other evening and they told them that we will need to do A4 size sheets of planning.
    They may have been wrong as with lots of training at the moment no one really knows what is going to happen or what is expected of us.
    I have spent a total of 10 hours on training courses so far regarding the EYFS and about 4 hours of that was wasted time as the training focused on large settings, the tutor was rude and constantly contradicted herself and it was only when our childminding coordinator took on the role of training that we got somewhere. This is another factor that concerns me, that the training needs to be sorted out so it can be more specific and relevant to childminders

You asked what degree I am working on at the moment
    I am doing the foundation degree and I am currently halfway through E124 and have completed E123. I am hoping to progress to a BA once I have done the foundation degree but I have to see how I go, because of other responsibilities .
    I did my NVQ 3 early years care and education about 2 years ago. I am also on various short courses and conferences like yourself.

Like I have said, not all is bad but childminders have a right to know about petitions and the like and it is up to them whether they sign it or not.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silvana1 View Post
    Like I have said, not all is bad but childminders have a right to know about petitions and the like and it is up to them whether they sign it or not.
    You are absolutely right!

That is why we put the link to the petitions website on the forum some time ago... and a member posted a sample letter against the rise in annual Ofsted fees - and other members gave suggestions for how to reply to the Ofsted consultation about EYFS - and we had details posted for members to argue against Ofsted publishing our personal addresses on their website... all of which are viewable in past posts.

We then left it up to our members to discuss, carefully consider and make their reply, should they wish.

We are not in the business of scaremongering on this forum and I feel it is a mistake to underestimate the intelligence of our members. They can work out the right thing to do without a diatribe from someone they do not know (I am not necessarily referring to your post alone here).

We need to work out how to support each other through the EYFS and again I agree with you about the paperwork - it will get totally out of hand if we are not careful, which is why we are spending time discussing how to best plan and assess and observe. There is plenty of time between now and September.

As you have been on such a lot of training, I imagine you will be able to input ideas as we have our discussions. Sadly training in Cheshire was cancelled due to lack of interest.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Experienced View Post
    By Sept 08, all childminders must all have attended numerous courses in their own time and be able to assess, note, monitor and create the environment under which they can all be monitored under 171 headings. If they don't they will in effect be deregistered!
    And just what are these 'numerous courses'?

From what I'm hearing and from reading the EYFS pack the majority of us can all fit what we do now into the new system without too much trouble, especially if you have been keeping up to date with the various changes within childminding as they have come in over the past years. Those who are new to childminding will get support and guidance through training. Much of what is required through the EYFS will not need to be done by childminders if the children attend pre-school sessions or nursery education.
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to add, to whoever posted their concern that young kids are being over-educated these days, not to forget that the main emphasis of the EYFS is on child-led learning through play. Our job is to watch, jot down a few notes and then decide what, based upon the child's rising skill or interests, we should offer for them next. It ain't brain surgery, really. Most people who offer a quality service are already doing this, just maybe not writing it all down.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatia View Post
    I'd just like to add, to whoever posted their concern that young kids are being over-educated these days, not to forget that the main emphasis of the EYFS is on child-led learning through play. Our job is to watch, jot down a few notes and then decide what, based upon the child's rising skill or interests, we should offer for them next. It ain't brain surgery, really. Most people who offer a quality service are already doing this, just maybe not writing it all down.
    Yep you've got it in one! Some people are panicking when in fact they are doing everything already, it perhaps just needs recording in a slightly different way and 'bob's your uncle'!

It's all about ensuring the children are being offered the opportunities to learn as they play.

Pauline x

Jul 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

To me, the EYFS seems much simpler than the old way. Everything's all in one pack. The Practice Guidance for the EYFS has all the information you need to make observations and plan on the six areas of learning and development.

I bought some of sarahev's paperwork and it's just all fallen into place. I make a few observations a week (don't write much), a couple of photos and put some of the child's work into their file.

It only takes about 10 minutes extra a day.

I've also tweaked a few of my policies, but not much.

My network co-ordinator seems to think that I'm doing plenty and has no problems, so with a bit of luck, so will Ofsted.

This is just my opinion and I don't want to upset anybody.

Marie x
    Marie xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, instead of having the national standards plus B23, we now have it all in one.
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I disliked Birth to 3 with a passion! I'm a much happier bunny too!

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ma7ie View Post
    I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

To me, the EYFS seems much simpler than the old way. Everything's all in one pack. The Practice Guidance for the EYFS has all the information you need to make observations and plan on the six areas of learning and development.

I bought some of sarahev's paperwork and it's just all fallen into place. I make a few observations a week (don't write much), a couple of photos and put some of the child's work into their file.

It only takes about 10 minutes extra a day.

I've also tweaked a few of my policies, but not much.

My network co-ordinator seems to think that I'm doing plenty and has no problems, so with a bit of luck, so will Ofsted.

This is just my opinion and I don't want to upset anybody.

Marie x
    Well said Marie

I have been thinking the same for a while. I'm not saying i know, understand or agree to everything about EYFS, but willing to give it a go.

Helen

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, i think the fuss has been because EYFS is not optional we all have to follow it.

But as has been said i know for one i always have been, i just need to brush up on my paperwork.

And to be fair anything that highlights our professional status is ok by me!!
    Lou xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast