Fed up with NCMA attendance reg, does anyone make their own?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fed up with NCMA attendance reg, does anyone make their own?

I have 10 part-timers, so use my own attendance sheets (PC replica of the NCMA version) which I keep in a file with a divider section for each child. This works very well for me.

I generally get each parent to sign monthly - I've found that if I ask any more regularly than that, I get moaned at but this is something that worries me. I'm due an inspection in May and if Ofsted come mid-month will they frown upon my lack of signatures? Should I start getting them done weekly, even if it does bore the parents?

Can anyone clarify whether parentantal signatures are actually required by Ofsted and if so, how regularly they should be obtained. Is monthly ok or should it always be weekly, as the form kind of suggests?

Lady Haha Guest

Good tip using a file and having a section for each child! I will do that now! I have been using the ncma register and now with all my part timers I agree that flicking through the pages is annoying sometimes! Also, I have realised how much quicker I am getting through my latest one! Would be cost effective to make your own identical sheets for a file too!

Post Thanks / Like

I made a register similar to a school one with all the children's names on, should I be doing individual ones for each child instead?

I also don't get parent's to sign it either.

TheBTeam Guest

There is a huge debate on getting parents to sign and their seems to be a difference on what ofsted require and what the insurance company may require,

I personally don't have particularly co-operative parents, and struggle to keep them long enough to pay me, let alone sign anything, they want to talk about boyfriends and going out!

I am going to try with new ones to get them to sign from week one, so that it is not optional, think that the protection of signed hours is good because of the liability for accidents and doubt over who had the child is good.

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding*
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Helen79 View Post
    I made a register similar to a school one with all the children's names on, should I be doing individual ones for each child instead?

I also don't get parent's to sign it either.

I will have a seperate sheet for each child ... I will sign them in at exact time they arrive and exact time they leave and will get the parent to sign when they pick up every day .

I have a space for this on the sheet ... if they just drop off to me but dont pick up ie for morning school run .. i will get them to sign for the previous day.

It is required by ofsted that exact times are noted and it is signed regularly
    Wendy xxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The whole point of the register is not to record contracted hours but to record ACTUAL HOURS to the MINUITE that the mindee is in your care.

This is vital from a child protection point of view. It is also very important that the parent signs the register at least once a week confirming that the times are correct.

Also if you have a dispute with parents over hours and it has surprised me over the years, some of them will swear black is white but if you have a signed register you have an acctual record that they have agreed to.

If you are a member of NCMA be aware that if you do not have a signed copy of their register and you need to use the free legal help you will be stuck. They always ask for copies of you signed register in respect of the child and copies of your contracts.

I have been using the NCMA registers for 13yrs now and have never had any problems in fact to the contrary. I have lots of children on my books at the moment as well.

All you need are some post its with each childs name on sticking out from their page in the book and you can find the right page very quickly.

Just seen your post Green Puppy. Thank goodness there is someone else out there! The number of times the register question is raised I was beginning to feel I was the only one doing this.
    .................................................. .................................................. ............

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a register similar to a school one. I mark a 0 for not booked and a X for booked and here.

I pick them all up at school at the same time each day and they all go home at 6pm - nothing changes so I see no need to keep any more detail.

Latest Inspection Grade
    *OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine all sign in and out every day, I have trained them all well.
    ƸӜƷ* Hello Kitty *ƸӜƷ

Aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have made my own too. very similar to NCMA sheets with spaces for signing etc, but easier to read as I keep them together by child.

Dec04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello

I do one on a spreadsheet that lists all children coming with their DOB on one sheet split by AM and PM to account for schoolies. I print it double sided for the month and sign myself under each column for the day. I dont get parents to sign as I find it hard enough to sign alll the ongoing stuff they need to do anyway.

This means I have one side sheet per week. I did this as I was not getting on with the NCMA book either and all the flicking back and forward. At the end of the day - you need to find what works for you!

Take care

Helen

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squiggle View Post
    i use a large diary.

I list each childs name and put time in and time out and each parent signs in. but i found out on a course last night that parents need to sign a child in and sign them out so got to add an extra bit in on mine.

have done this since i started minding and it has worked well
    xx
    not to satisfy ofsted they don't

an inspector told me recently that that is ncma ruling not theirs so if you are only looking to satisfy ofsted then you don't need to get parents to sign anything.

of course if they do sign that is considered good practice

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chanelle View Post
    I will have a seperate sheet for each child ... I will sign them in at exact time they arrive and exact time they leave and will get the parent to sign when they pick up every day .

I have a space for this on the sheet ... if they just drop off to me but dont pick up ie for morning school run .. i will get them to sign for the previous day.

It is required by ofsted that exact times are noted and it is signed regularly
    Where in the EYFS does it state this? I have just had my inspection and my sheets don't have a space for a signature and haven't had any for 14 years. Inspectors said it was fine.
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nokidshere View Post
    I keep a register similar to a school one. I mark a 0 for not booked and a X for booked and here.

I pick them all up at school at the same time each day and they all go home at 6pm - nothing changes so I see no need to keep any more detail.
    I think you will get picked up on this
    Debbie

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This is my sheet - very similar to NCMA but not quite the same
    Last edited by Chatterbox Childcare; 09-10-2009 at 07:32 AM.
    Debbie

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am now using my own (well Sarah's ) attendance sheets.

One per child in a file sith seperators (spelling!)

The parents sign once a month and it is sooooooo much easier than the NCMA book.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I make my own I have 12 children on my books NCMA books are not big enough hope this helps?

Dawn xx
    Attached Files Attached Files

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fed up with NCMA attendance reg, does anyone make their own?

if any one would like a copy without logo let me know by pm me, i will send u a copy

Dawn xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieS26 View Post
    I think you will get picked up on this
    Its never been a problem in the past. I have always explained that the times don't change and they have been happy with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12