Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Diaries

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diaries

Hiya just thought i would ask.....is it a requirement to keep a daily diary for yourself about what you have done with the children each day..i do each child their own daily diary for the parents but dont do anything for me to keep about what we have done (obv. apart from the scrap books and observations and wow moments, the list goes on and on)!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks xx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Diaries

No, it's not a requirement but it can be used to show how you reflect on your practice etc etc

HTH's

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep a daily diary so I can put in things like fire drills, testing smoke alarms (sunday's ) toddler groups, birthdays, oh and its where I record my fridge temp!
    I even put the weather in sometimes! ie snow, thunder storm etc
    Just helps me to remember
    Marian x

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't keep a diary for myself anymore because I didn't have time to fill it in. I was told that as long as I can prove what I'm doing with the children I didn't need one.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A few years ago Ofsted turned up on my doorstep following up a malicious complaint.

They wanted to know where I had been, which children I had had, what we had done etc on certain days previous to their visit.

I found the information eventually but it was hard work... it would have been soooo much easier with a diary.

Now I never go to bed without having written up my diary.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it is a good thing to have one to protect yourself like Sarah says. I have never used one, but am thinking of starting one in the new year xx

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent previously kept a diary but for 2009 have a nice big A4 one ready to go. I plan on logging fridge temps, fire alarm tests and drill, small note about what we did that day etc - whatever comes to mind really.
    Annie x

Nov 08
    Post Thanks / Like

at present i have a little one which i purchased from another site for childminders. but there isnt much space in it and the colums are not relavant for everyday, and some are left blank. its a5 so thinking of getting a a4 one where i can set up myself. ans not have blank colums
    Donna

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use an A4 book and can get a week on there. Its just my jottings of who was here, what we did, weather, visitors and notes to myself -reminders, its all very scrappy and for my eyes only but could be used as evidence if ever needed for compaints etc. I also take a photo of the childrens daily diary to keep on my computer- just in case.

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I am going to do one just so I can refer back to it if needed like you said. Will also include what I have given the mindees for lunch and tea so I dont dupliate my Favourite easy dishes like pasta and salad to often!!!!! Thanks XXXX

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a daily diary/contact book for my mindee but think I will do diary in new year. I can see how it would help to prove where you have been, what you have done etc.

feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep an A4 one and use 2 pages per day-one side children attending, school/preschool pickups, provision available for the day/provision chosen by children and other side planned or spontaneous activities, brief observations, messages from parents/preschool etc and requests from children for next time. I hadn't thought about recording fridge temps etc but will start next week and as Sarah says you never know when you might need that info. It also stops me from losing bits of paper and I can stick photos/post-its in too its just finding somewhere to store all this paperwork!