Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: confused.com

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy confused.com

Hi all

I am starting to get really confused and panicy about the whol childminding idea! Was it the wrong desission (spelling?) I love kids and love working with them but.... I am SOOOOOO confused!
    Reading what all fo you do and say, makes me think that I havnt got all the things I need to have!

Learning journey: Is it ok to just have an empty scrap book and write all the obs and assesments in there??? (or is this not a learning journey and I need something else?)

Planning: Is it possible for someone to show me ready filled in plans? Weekly Monthly Yearly?!

Observation: In writing and by making photos? Or both!! Linking it to the 6 points... CLL KUW PSRN......

Assessment: I spoke to a reception class teacher today... and she said that observation is just the same as assessing?? TRUE????

Linking with schools/Nurseries: 1 of me LO is in reception class and I asked today if I could have their weekly plan and also info on what they do in literacy, numeracy ect... Is that enough to show that I am interacting with the school?

There are so many questions.. that I don't seem to find answers to.. But maybe I just need to walk away from it all do something NICE and come back to it??!! Does it work?!

Sorry to rumble on... Thinking about giving up before even starting!

XPixieX

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: confused.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie26 View Post
    Hi all

I am starting to get really confused and panicy about the whol childminding idea! Was it the wrong desission (spelling?) I love kids and love working with them but.... I am SOOOOOO confused!

No need, we're here to help!

Reading what all fo you do and say, makes me think that I havnt got all the things I need to have!

Learning journey: Is it ok to just have an empty scrap book and write all the obs and assesments in there??? (or is this not a learning journey and I need something else?)

A scrap book is fine! Just put 'Learning journey for xxx' on the front and add a photo of the child or a picture he's done to make it individual and nice.

Planning: Is it possible for someone to show me ready filled in plans? Weekly Monthly Yearly?!

These are individual to you really... there's lots of advice around the forum for what you can plan.

Observation: In writing and by making photos? Or both!! Linking it to the 6 points... CLL KUW PSRN......

Both... however you feel most comfortable doing it. Watch and listen, make notes of what you have seen and heard and yes, find the area of learning and development they most refer to...

Assessment: I spoke to a reception class teacher today... and she said that observation is just the same as assessing?? TRUE????

Not really... you observe and then you look at the observation and think about what to do with it... this is the assessment bit.

Linking with schools/Nurseries: 1 of me LO is in reception class and I asked today if I could have their weekly plan and also info on what they do in literacy, numeracy ect... Is that enough to show that I am interacting with the school?

Find out how the child is progressing as well... take an interest in how you can help school to bring him on.

There are so many questions.. that I don't seem to find answers to.. But maybe I just need to walk away from it all do something NICE and come back to it??!! Does it work?!

Sorry to rumble on... Thinking about giving up before even starting!

XPixieX
    It's ok! Ask away...

sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, im only just starting out and not minding yet but i was very confused its only just this last week its started to become abit more straight in my head, i just had to take it slow and get my head round it alittle at a time

Everyone on this forum is very helpful and sarahs ebooks are great, for obs i have a sheet i will fill in around once a week then will do a scapbook for mini obs and photos etc

after reading sarahs reply i cant be as confused as i thought because i roughly knew all that

charlotte x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is fine. I actually have A4 ring binders and put loose sheets in with obs and photos, I've done this so that I can also add the children's work in A4 punch pockets, (it stops the bits from crafts falling off!!)

Also, by having a loose leaf folder you can add as many pages as you want, whereas a scrapbook will soon become full.

It sounds to me like you know far more than you think
    Pauline x

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all!

I am fine now... until the next thing goes wrong.
    I have a A4 books for the kiddies (old writing books the school bought far to many and sold them cheap... bought about 100 for £5)
    this "Lourning journey,Scrap book......" is inside a card folder/pocket type thing, anythig little will get glued into the book and bigger pics will be put into polly pockets and into folder!
    It also contains the childrens home contact book.
    Oh and other info.. like permission slips, childs individual needs records,childs records.... ( is this ok?)

I keep the folder out on the days the mindees are here so that they are in reach! If an emergancy arrises I can just pick up all folders and go! So all info is in there! Will OFSTED be ok with this?

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as Pauline.

Jx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all!

I am fine now... until the next thing goes wrong.
    I have a A4 books for the kiddies (old writing books the school bought far to many and sold them cheap... bought about 100 for £5)
    this "Lourning journey,Scrap book......" is inside a card folder/pocket type thing, anythig little will get glued into the book and bigger pics will be put into polly pockets and into folder!
    It also contains the childrens home contact book.
    Oh and other info.. like permission slips, childs individual needs records,childs records.... ( is this ok?)

I keep the folder out on the days the mindees are here so that they are in reach! If an emergancy arrises I can just pick up all folders and go! So all info is in there! Will OFSTED be ok with this?
    I keep all child information under lock and key in filing cabinet so it can't be lost. Emergency contact details and health information are carried with me at all times.

If you are sending the files home for parents to share, there is a risk that they could lose it and then you would lose all your permissions and information.
    Pauline x

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point, didnt even think of that