Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EYFS Training Day

I went on a training course today (4 hours) to help prepare for the new EYFS. Today's topics were "unique child" and "positive relationships." The best part was a wonderful free lunch (!) but I have to say the course was quite interesting and helpful as well. It was run by the NCMA and was paid for by Milton Keynes Council (at last, something free!).

During the course of the afternoon it was mentioned that as from September, we will be unable to give any non-prescribed medicine (e.g. Calpol). So that's another change - are people aware of that?

They also encouraged people to write and complain about the proposed new charge fees, so I hope as many as possible will do that. £203 a year is a several-hundred percent rise!

But it was quite reassuring that despite some changes, the emphasis is coming back on play (yes, even with guns and swords and climbing trees!).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: EYFS Training Day

Hello Hilary and thanks for letting us know how the training went.

I hadn't heard the proposed fee is £203 a year ( seems a very odd amount).
    Last i heard they were talking about a rise to £30 then rising to £100.

Miffy xx

Nov 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The odd amount is because it is split into two new fees for the two registers - one for the under 5's and one for the under 8's, (or something like that) so if you mind for both age groups you get clobbered for two fees. It is being proposed to introduce the new fees over the next 2 years in a staggered approach, but as they are still at the consultation stage, they want to know what we all think!!

Hilary

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing that Hilary... we sort of know about the Calpol but think it's a really bad decision and we are waiting to see if it's changed - there are some amendments due out later this month, I believe.

What was unique child about? Just getting individual details and following what parents say? Or was there more?

Our training has been cancelled due to lack of interest! I was interested but only 3 other people wanted to join me apparently

Think there's some head in the sand burying going on round here - was your training full?

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all i can say is that i will not be continuing to care for children over 8 ! I definately cannot afford the 2 fees !

Nov 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah,

Well, the discussions were all very vague really, and there wasn't a lot of specific detail. They did talk about individual observations of each child, which should be done around once every 6 weeks, and keeping a file with these in.

They also emphasised that each child was different and special - but we know that anyway!

We had to look at the information cards, and apply the principles against photos of children doing different activities (eg messy play, outside play) and say how each situation helped the children develop.

There are a whole series of dates booked, and some of them are over-subscribed, so I'm really surprised your have been cancelled. Our course today should have had 25 people on them (though only 17 turned up). The second sessions are in 3 months' time.

Hilary

30 Oct
    Post Thanks / Like

that sound like good training, and something i wish we had round here. I know we have another course to do on eyfs but it's just a one day course, and not broken down like yours has been.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's interesting Hilary thanks! And it's great to see you posting!

It's funny that all the courses are pushing the principles into practice cards - I think there's a fear they'll not be used as they are too much like the birth to 3 cards and nobody really liked them... I suppose a lot of minders are used to using birth to 3 though and need to learn how to adapt that to the foundation stage / eyfs 6 areas of learning.

Hmmm funny how it was vague - I've read the local authority briefing pack though and that's quite vague

I heard about the price hike in nursery world magazine... apparently authorities will have grants available, though how you'll go about claiming remains to be seen. It's appalling - I was registered under social services when it was something daft like £10... then it went up and up.. but £200 is ridiculous for a 3 yearly visit ... was there a web address for complaining that you could post?

Thanks again xx

Post Thanks / Like

I can see more minders quitting if they are faced with these fees.

What do you actually get for your money????????????

Miffy xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I can see more minders quitting if they are faced with these fees.

What do you actually get for your money????????????

Miffy xx
    Answers on a postcard to that one I think Miffy!

I suppose parents get the peace of mind associated with knowing how to complain about us, now we have to push our complaints policy, procedure and book in their faces as soon as they walk in the door

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have brought this matter up about registration fee for over 8's and its costs and everyone kept reassuring me it would only be 1 fee to pay and that I was panicking over nothing !!!!!!!! Well I just hope they are right because I for one will not be paying £100 to care for over 8's Tbh I personally dont earn that much from that age group (I realise if this was my main wage earner I would have to reconsider) So if we all do this what will happen to the over 8's ????? Sorry rant over Sorry Hilary this is not a dig at you and thanks for telling us about your course

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you enjoyed your training day Hilary and found it beneficial.

As Sarah says...yes we had heard about the calpol and yes I am hoping they will reverse this decision too.

I am looking forward to my training seesions that I have booked for February and March
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Hilary

Re calpol - the last I heard was that they were still considering whether to change the rules for childminders, as far as I know it's still up in the air.

Childcare register - People are still getting confused about the 2 childcare registers, there have been posts about this somewhere but can't find it at the moment, but if you are registered to care for under 8's and also care for over 8's you do not need to register on both, your under 8's registration will cover you. It's the people who only care for over 8's that will have to join the over 8's register - as far as I know this information hasn't changed since I was told about it at a meeting last June. Was it actually an NCMA official who said you had to be on both registers?

p.s. I will move this thread to the "EYFS" section as it does not really want to be in the "using the forum" section. You will probably get more replies there too.
    Pauline x

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pauline

It does still seem that whether we have to be on one register or both we are facing a big rise in the registration fee we will have to pay.

Miffy xxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Thanks Pauline

It does still seem that whether we have to be on one register or both we are facing a big rise in the registration fee we will have to pay.

Miffy xxx
    Yes you are right Miffy a hike from £15 to £100 is just not fair even if it is done over three years.

Was talking this over with my hubby this morning, he'd been wondering whether to register in his own right, rather than staying as my assistant, but when we thought about it we realised that we would both have to pay £100 each to be on the register, whereas if he stays as my assistant then it will only be me who has to pay.
    Pauline x

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really good point Pauline - hadn't even thought about that at all.

Miffy xx

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing this with us Hilary

I don't use calpol unless on prescription so not really a biggy for me, but at the payment!

June I agreee as I'm not the main wage earner I'm not paying £100 to get on over 8's which is a shame as I really like that age group!! It would take me lots of hours working to make that pay off!!

Nov 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pauline for your helpful comments. It's all so confusing! I've been back on the NCMA website today and it gives full and very helpful information. It also gives a sample letter for anyone to use to write off and protest about the proposed rises in fees.

Reading the article on the NCMA site more carefully, it appears we don't have to pay to go on both registers, only for being on one register, the Early Years Register, which is proposed to be increased over 2 years - going up to £100 in 2010.

Even so, it is still a huge increase, and I hope lots of us will write and protest!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

There is some information here about registering for over 8s

http://childminding.proboards102.com...ead=1193948587

Angel xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast