Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MAKATON

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MAKATON

Hello,
    Has any of you done MAKATON training? Do you benefit from it? How did you learn( online training, YouTube videos, face to face course)??
    Do you use it daily or is it only for babies/children who can't talk?
    Wouldn't mind learning it but not sure how to and would I benefit from a " real course" with a certificate rather than self teach ??
    Are Ofsted keen on Makaton ??
    Thanks
    V

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I done stage 1&2 because I had a child with delayed speech. It worked well with him. After he left I got in the habit of using the basics to young children please, thank you and yes. Other than that I don’t use it and have forgotten t a lot. The parents enjoy seeing there under 2’s signing thank you and please.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I done stage 1&2 because I had a child with delayed speech. It worked well with him. After he left I got in the habit of using the basics to young children please, thank you and yes. Other than that I don’t use it and have forgotten t a lot. The parents enjoy seeing there under 2’s signing thank you and please.
    Thanks for reply. Did you do the course online and did you get a certificate ?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the basics with a child I look after who is minimally verbal. We use a combination of PECS, Makaton and his few spoken words/sounds.

I haven't done a course, but was given some printed sheets by the S&L therapist who suggested I watch some YouTube videos to see how the signs were made. The other children have all picked it up as well and often use signs alongside words.

I would like to do a course, but for the amount we're using it, the print outs and YouTube videos have been enough.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, I got certificates and done a face to face course not online.