Activities for a 19 month old
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Activities for a 19 month old

    Hi all,
    I've had the call from Ofsted regarding my inspection and I'm trying to plan activities. One of the days I only have a lovely, cheeky 19 month old. Does anyone have any ideas of good inspection activities?

    He is very inquisitive, literally wants to be in everything, and will happily wander round picking things up, looking at them before moving onto the next item. I've struggled a little keeping his concentration. I've tried play dough, small world, messy play, musical instruments and all sorts of other bits but his attention will wander almost immediately.

    I need some fresh ideas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,822
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is normal and expected for a 19mth old to not have a long attention span. Have plenty of things up your sleeve, follow what he wants to do and as long as you are extending him with the thinks you talk about/do/ask/show etc then that is perfect. Look at his next steps and have ready ways to develop those through all different activities or whatever you do, rather than plan to do activity x because of a specific next step and then feel deflated if he does it for all of 2 seconds! If he is inquisitive maybe have some new toys/objects (toy library?) for him to explore, things in boxes etc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great, thanks moggy :-)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    Hi all, I've had the call from Ofsted regarding my inspection and I'm trying to plan activities. One of the days I only have a lovely, cheeky 19 month old. Does anyone have any ideas of good inspection activities? He is very inquisitive, literally wants to be in everything, and will happily wander round picking things up, looking at them before moving onto the next item. I've struggled a little keeping his concentration. I've tried play dough, small world, messy play, musical instruments and all sorts of other bits but his attention will wander almost immediately. I need some fresh ideas
    Good luck with the inspection halor, will you let us know how you get on? :-) x

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Good luck with the inspection halor, will you let us know how you get on? :-) x
    Definitely, think I'll need group hugs afterwards! I have a feeling I'm going to get requires improvement as I'm going to struggle showing next steps etc. I tend to keep paperwork to a minimum and half the time it's in my head rather than down on paper :-/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    675
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How did this go?
    Just had my call yesterday! Eeeak!
    Blondes have more fun!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeMoment View Post
    How did this go? Just had my call yesterday! Eeeak!
    Good luck blondemoment :-)
    Hope it went well halor. X

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Good luck blondemoment :-) Hope it went well halor. X
    it went better than expected but I've been told not to say............ It was a **od :-)

  9. Likes Maza, gef918, FussyElmo, loocyloo, BallyH, Ellisha liked this post
  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,211
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Well done, Halor, you must be so pleased it is all out of the way now!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    7,002
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    it went better than expected but I've been told not to say............ It was a **od :-)
    Brilliant news hope you can give our members feedback
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,869
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    it went better than expected but I've been told not to say............ It was a **od :-)
    well done xx

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    675
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh well done you! I think we overthink it all sometimes but thats what gets drummed into us lol.
    They still haven't been yet so it must be tomorrow. Eeeak!!!
    Blondes have more fun!

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeMoment View Post
    Oh well done you! I think we overthink it all sometimes but thats what gets drummed into us lol. They still haven't been yet so it must be tomorrow. Eeeak!!!
    Oh goodness have you been waiting for them each day? Good luck you'll be great, let us know how it goes :-) x

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    208
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeMoment View Post
    Oh well done you! I think we overthink it all sometimes but thats what gets drummed into us lol. They still haven't been yet so it must be tomorrow. Eeeak!!!
    good luck xxx

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Activities for a 19 month old Activities for a 19 month old Activities for a 19 month old

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk