Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Babbling

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Babbling

Hi all. Is it common for a child to not babble?

I look after two brothers. One is three in May and has never babbled. Can say about 10 words and a lot of made up words. He is down to start speech therapy next month. Apparently his speech delay is because he was born with a hole in his heart. His brother is 19 months and although says a lot more than his older brother did at that age, he seems to copy a lot of what his older brother says (Ie the made up words) he is definitely a lot more vocal than his brother, can say please and thanks etc, but he doesn't 'babble' either. Both brothers communicate in their own language to each other, but apart from that, nothing. Other children I've minded included my own DS babbled constantly before talking properly, but it's just not the case here. Should I be worried about the younger child? I guess I'm extra sensitive because obviously the older boy needs speech therapy and I'm more conscious of looking for signs!!

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite worried in a similar way about my grandson he's 12 months old and has never babbled, he is vocal but only screaming noises, his hearing is fine so we're baffled as to why he's not babbling! I've never experienced this has anyone else?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I've always assumed it's something all children do, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong?

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have 'Universally Speaking, birth to 5', from The Communication Trust- you can order it free, or download it here:
    https://www.thecommunicationtrust.or...-speaking.aspx
    https://www.thecommunicationtrust.or...vspeak_0-5.pdf

It gives really clear speech and communication milestones.
    I would be concerned, and would refer to this book as a way to bring up the subject with parents.
    No, it is not 'common' for little ones to not babble, I can imagine it is not impossible for a child to miss out the babbling stage but it is not common, from my experience.
    I would suggest a word with the HV or a SaLT drop-in if you have one locally, just to get an opinion and to get the child 'in the system' as SaLT can take many weeks if not months waiting for a referral and then waiting for therapy sessions.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you moggy, I'll bare what you've said in mind going forward