Frustrated!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Frustrated!!

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustrated!!

Sorry need to vent and know you will understand. So have looked after child for 2 years who started pre prep in September age 3.Sent intro letter and copy of most recent EYO tracker, includes permission by parents to share info, "looking forward to working with you to support said child" etc. Sent registered post. No reply. So this week sent e mail asking nicely if possible to
    Make appointment to meet key worker, discuss how could support what they are doing, Childs development. No reply. Mentioned to parent at pick up about e mail and apparently they will not under any circumstances communicate with me it's not what they do. Parent mentioned giving permission, that it would help support child but felt they thought my work was of no value! Just so mad that after all the stuff from various corners stating working together is in best interest of children settings still don't. Am also aware that ofsted have downgraded CM for not doing more to work together when said schools/nurseries get away with doing nothing!! Aaaarh!!!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    Sorry need to vent and know you will understand. So have looked after child for 2 years who started pre prep in September age 3.Sent intro letter and copy of most recent EYO tracker, includes permission by parents to share info, "looking forward to working with you to support said child" etc. Sent registered post. No reply. So this week sent e mail asking nicely if possible to
    Make appointment to meet key worker, discuss how could support what they are doing, Childs development. No reply. Mentioned to parent at pick up about e mail and apparently they will not under any circumstances communicate with me it's not what they do. Parent mentioned giving permission, that it would help support child but felt they thought my work was of no value! Just so mad that after all the stuff from various corners stating working together is in best interest of children settings still don't. Am also aware that ofsted have downgraded CM for not doing more to work together when said schools/nurseries get away with doing nothing!! Aaaarh!!!
    I know exactly how you feel, I had my inspection last month and this was the reason why I am not yet "outstanding" links with other setting not yet strong enough, I have a strong links with one setting but the other has not acknowledged anything.
    Pixie Dust

3. Likes chris goodyear liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here Pixie dust! what more can we do if the other settings won't co operate grrr!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keep copy of emails/letters sent, notes of phone calls/messages left and what mum has said.
    I would continue to send emails (and keep a copy)
    I then keep these in childs LJ to prove how I try to work with other settings.
    Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

Sept 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same situation when I had my most recent ofsted inspection. One school was happy to work with me while the other had ignored all communication. I was honest with the inspector about the situation and showed her a copy of my letters to the school nursery ( she only had my word that I sent the learning journey with mum for them to see because they gave no feed back) I did point out that the child was with me twice as many hours as they attended the nursery so it would be to their advantage to work with me!!! The inspector was very understanding about it and it didn't effect my grading x

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you ask mum to say to the setting she wants this for her child ?
    Also would ofsted not frown upon that setting for not communicating with you ?
    Last edited by tess1981; 04-12-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    Tess1981

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    Dear me...this is just a copy cat of what I was told ages ago....when will they ever learn?
    Don't let their attitude put you off...challenge it!

2 things...the person to write to is the manager as you will find the key person is not really allowed to communicate directly with you....it is part of nurseries role and responsibilities.

Ofsted cannot downgrade you when you have ample evidence that you have bent over backwards to work in partnership with other providers.

Ofsted itself is promoting this working together 'campaign'....read Wilshaw.... but it would really be useful if they knew how difficult it is at times to do so rather than leave it to their contracted-out inspectors to just 'tick a box'

You should also raise it ...if we don't we will never solve this problem
    I once asked Ofsted top woman...now retired... why the school would not communicate with CMs....she said there was nothing Ofsted could do to force them!!

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes it's very frustrating, but as long as you have tried that's all you can do. Don't worry about it! Fast forward another 3/4 years and they might not be there;

At my last inspection over 4 years ago one nursery I sent off lots of bits to i.e. (they had an inspection just before mine) was given an 'Outstanding' for communicating with other agencies.

I knew that I was the only 'other agency' as was the only childminder collecting children so don't know how they got that award but hey ho fast forward and I have other children going to nurseries and it's the same story.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    Yes it's very frustrating, but as long as you have tried that's all you can do. Don't worry about it! Fast forward another 3/4 years and they might not be there;

At my last inspection over 4 years ago one nursery I sent off lots of bits to i.e. (they had an inspection just before mine) was given an 'Outstanding' for communicating with other agencies.

I knew that I was the only 'other agency' as was the only childminder collecting children so don't know how they got that award but hey ho fast forward and I have other children going to nurseries and it's the same story.
    it will depend on how you wish to pursue this matter...frustrating as it is... I also believe it is a bit patronising on the part of the other provider to sideline you and not equally value your knowledge of the child....especially when the parent has been so proactive in facilitating communication

The other provider received an Outstanding for communicating with other agencies?.,...could any of these be a Health Visitor, or A SENCO, or maybe any one of those they may have contacted for Info sharing?...if so why do they believe your input is irrelevant?

Sharing information is a 2 way system which this provider has certainly slammed the doors against...don't let them get away with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all X have been logging everything for evidence. Some of you mention "keep going" and "take it further" but to whom? And say what, I have been dealing with school heads. It's sad that they feel so threatend one told mum "she might find out personal info" I have worked with this mum closely for 11 years, health, social services, benefits, school, college and now uni, I have been through more with this family than she ever will yet said head doesn't even acknowledge my "good morning".
    I have worked with some excellent school staff and heads and know the value of all working together for the good of the child.
    Oh well keep plugging away, will send in Christmas biscuits with quote from EYFS about building relationships and working together.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look on the school website to see if they have any information about what topics they will be covering etc. One nursery is very reluctant to work with me, but does have a "themes" timetable on their website, so I print that off along with their newsletters. And I ask parents to give me copies of any assessments etc that the nursery give them.

Ofsted really shouldn't downgrade you when you can show how hard you have tried. If they do, don't accept the judgement and take it further.

Have to tried speaking to your LA about the school's refusal to work with you? I had a recent visit from someone from our LA Early Years department and we talked about how reluctant some other settings (and health visitors) are to work with childminders. She only works with childminders, but was going to pass the info on to other staff in the office in the hope that they might be able to do something, even if it is only tell other settings they should be working with us.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local school nursery often stick notices up on the windows for the parents to see. This week, it's the arrangements for watching the big school play and the nursery school nativity play.
    I took a photo of this notice and sent it to my parents. Often while they are rushing about, they fail to spot these notices, or Dad, grandma, etc does nursery collection later.
    I think this is still partnership working, as it shows Ofsted that you are communication between the nursery and home, and it also gives you something to chat to the children about over lunch!!