first Early Years child I am clueless help!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default first Early Years child I am clueless help!

Hi all,

I registered early this year but have only cared for school age children. I have just taken on my first 2 year old, now I am completely stumped as to how I go forward from here. I wondered if anybody had come across a guide that tells you what to do step by step, I know this sounds foolish as I completed the training, however its fairly basic.
    I am also dyslexic and paperwork really worries me I dont know where to start, I feel like its all way over my head I am terrified of doing things wrong, I feel like giving up!!!

If anybody has any info to help a very stressed Childminder it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much folks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talk to parents - find out what the child is doing at home...

At the same time watch and listen - check your own baseline of what the child is doing with you - it's often different.

Record what the child can do now as their starting points using Early Years Outcomes as a guide.

Then start your planning - think about how you can support the child - this is the fun bit plan lots of fab activities alongside outings and your normal daily routines...

Keep asking parents for input and suggesting things they can do with their child in a gentle - ask your child about what we have been doing - type way...

most important of all enjoy playing!

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My top tip is to down load development matters onto your tablet.
    Then when you observe something, open the development matters and use the search, type In so e of the main words from your observation and all references will be highlighted.
    It makes it easier to find the links and ideas for next steps.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by emmas View Post
    Hi all,

I registered early this year but have only cared for school age children. I have just taken on my first 2 year old, now I am completely stumped as to how I go forward from here. I wondered if anybody had come across a guide that tells you what to do step by step, I know this sounds foolish as I completed the training, however its fairly basic.
    I am also dyslexic and paperwork really worries me I dont know where to start, I feel like its all way over my head I am terrified of doing things wrong, I feel like giving up!!!

If anybody has any info to help a very stressed Childminder it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much folks
    If your training was via your LA do contact them and ask for further support if you feel it was basic.
    It is their duty to train cms to understand and implement the EYFS prior to registering...the framework says so very clearly!

if your training was basic...don't let your LA get away with it...ask for help also see if a colleague is willing to help you!