Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre school working with me

A mindee has started preschool in September n they have done a 2yr progress check on him. He will be 3 in nov). But the lovely thing for me is that they have asked for my input on the form as well as parents. Working in partnership at last!!

2. Likes bunyip, Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellant. What a wonderful preschool. But then this is the way it should be done. I've had to chase mine for everything. Enjoy working in partnership.

Post Thanks / Like

That's fab. Mine seemed a talk initially, "can't wait to work with you", well do trackers and send you info" etc etc but nothing!! Really disappointed!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    A mindee has started preschool in September n they have done a 2yr progress check on him. He will be 3 in nov). But the lovely thing for me is that they have asked for my input on the form as well as parents. Working in partnership at last!!
    Good news!!!
    Are you able to tell us if your LA is already doing the combined review with Health and Education?...just curious!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was amazed this week when I got an email from a lo's playgroup inviting me in for a visit! His mum had taken his LJ in to playgroup along with a letter from me, a copy of his latest assessment and individual planning. The playgroup leader has offered to either come here, or for me to go there. I have seen the LJ the playgroup does - a scrappy little notebook with a few scribbled notes in - so I've got a feeling they probably want to pinch my ideas rather than share any of their own! From what I've seen I really don't think they're going to have much to share with me, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

One of the other nurseries was very keen to share info, so mum took all of my stuff in, but as yet I haven't had anything back. She's got a parents' meeting there in a couple of weeks, so is going to chase them.

I don't get anything at all from the other 2 pre-schools, but I do have evidence that I have tried.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I was amazed this week when I got an email from a lo's playgroup inviting me in for a visit! His mum had taken his LJ in to playgroup along with a letter from me, a copy of his latest assessment and individual planning. The playgroup leader has offered to either come here, or for me to go there. I have seen the LJ the playgroup does - a scrappy little notebook with a few scribbled notes in - so I've got a feeling they probably want to pinch my ideas rather than share any of their own! From what I've seen I really don't think they're going to have much to share with me, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

One of the other nurseries was very keen to share info, so mum took all of my stuff in, but as yet I haven't had anything back. She's got a parents' meeting there in a couple of weeks, so is going to chase them.

I don't get anything at all from the other 2 pre-schools, but I do have evidence that I have tried.
    If the preschool do 'pinch' some of your ideas remember to update your sef saying the local preschool liked your ideas so much they are now using them.

8. Likes Mouse, Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

...or they may nominate you to receive the Leader's Award from Ofsted! you never know.

Nurseries often have little books that go backwards and forwards but they also have official online LJ...most use Tapestry just like CMs d...othe scrapbooks are just for every day use.
    it's worth asking them

It is often discussed here that nurseries and preschools do not really share and engage with cms ...but...there is also the other side of the coin....CMs often refuse to engage with other providers.

We need to be fair on this...not just label others as not engaging ...I have asked other providers this question...and seen it... and the answers were very interesting!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    ...or they may nominate you to receive the Leader's Award from Ofsted! you never know.

Nurseries often have little books that go backwards and forwards but they also have official online LJ...most use Tapestry just like CMs d...othe scrapbooks are just for every day use.
    it's worth asking them

It is often discussed here that nurseries and preschools do not really share and engage with cms ...but...there is also the other side of the coin....CMs often refuse to engage with other providers.

We need to be fair on this...not just label others as not engaging ...I have asked other providers this question...and seen it... and the answers were very interesting!
    You are correct, as I know some cm's who aren't interested in working with their local preschool.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my LOs started a school nursery in September, I don't pick him up though so no face to face interaction. I sent a letter regarding working in partnership and a transition report detailing where I believe the child to be in all 7 areas. I put my address, email and phone number so there's no excuse for not getting in touch, so far - nothing!

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I always try to engage with other providers but secretly happy when they dont bother in return as its less work and i often find after a few weeks its only me sending them things. I understand it though when I worked in a nursery we were always understaffed and writing things to other setting meant leaving someone else even more understaffed so it was t worth it.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have 2 new mindees who attend a local 'outstanding' nursery , who, I'm told, work very well with childminders ..... i sent letters with signed permission from mums asking for their details and that we share information. ... so i thought, rather than me initiating contact (which to my mind I've already done with my letter (which I've had returned signed by nursery) ... I'd wait to see if they contact me .... 6 weeks and nothing!
    I shall probably call them after half term, but as usual it's me making the running!

(Although one of the mums says she gets more information about her child's day with me and if i could fit her in, child would only come here)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I have 2 new mindees who attend a local 'outstanding' nursery , who, I'm told, work very well with childminders ..... i sent letters with signed permission from mums asking for their details and that we share information. ... so i thought, rather than me initiating contact (which to my mind I've already done with my letter (which I've had returned signed by nursery) ... I'd wait to see if they contact me .... 6 weeks and nothing!
    I shall probably call them after half term, but as usual it's me making the running!

(Although one of the mums says she gets more information about her child's day with me and if i could fit her in, child would only come here)
    I'm exactly the same. I always feel that I'm the one making all the contact, then getting nothing back from the pre-schools or nurseries. I don't do any of the dropping off or collecting, and most of the other settings are in different areas of the city anyway, so I don't get any face to face contact with them. I wonder if our LA has said something to some of these other settings as they're suddenly a lot more cooperative. The school nurseries still don't bother, but the slightly smaller playgroups and pre-schools do seem to be making more of an effort. I know a lot of childminders have complained to the LA that we're being penalised for not working with other settings, so perhaps they've pushed for them to do something.

I see on a lot of cms Ofsted reports that they need to improve working with other settings, but I've only ever seen it on one pre-school report. A case of one rule for us and another for them?

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Ok...it seems to me ...from what I read...that there is a stand off between Cms and nurseries?...and nothing seems to be moving.

CMs say nurseries do not approach them despite various efforts...nurseries say they too have a problem.

The EYFS has been out since 2008...and working in partnership not new...does anyone have a solution?
    how will nurseries and cms deal with this when the Integrated Review is in force in every LA?...just curious and interested in discussing this issue to get to a solution!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Ok...it seems to me ...from what I read...that there is a stand off between Cms and nurseries?...and nothing seems to be moving.

CMs say nurseries do not approach them despite various efforts...nurseries say they too have a problem.

The EYFS has been out since 2008...and working in partnership not new...does anyone have a solution?
    how will nurseries and cms deal with this when the Integrated Review is in force in every LA?...just curious and interested in discussing this issue to get to a solution!
    my local school nursery is great and no one particularly makes contact first - we just share from the moment we know we have ( or will have ) shared children.

I've found, that with nurseries and preschools that I don't have face to face contact with, that it depends on the member of staff responsible for being in contact ( you'd think it would be the keyworker - but not always! ) I've had some that are excellent at using email to stay in touch, or text messages, or even phone calls if home/setting books don't work.

I just think it is obvious to me, that if you have a child moving on, adding additional care to their 'collection', I would want to make the transition easier for that child, but then maybe, those settings where has child just arrived, should be the ones chasing for 'sharing'.

so, the children that came to me from day nursery, should, I feel, have come with a 'transition'/hello form and I would have been in instant reply!

( when I have children moving on to nursery/school or even another childminder, I always create a transition form, and ask parents to pass it on )

I'm told by some large settings, that the staff have enough to do, and can't be chasing childminders, and that it is down to the parents to pass on information. I do usually at this point, remind them about 'working in partnership' !!!

I would love something to be sorted out once and for all, but as it is down to individuals, I don't think this will ever be solved!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    my local school nursery is great and no one particularly makes contact first - we just share from the moment we know we have ( or will have ) shared children.

I've found, that with nurseries and preschools that I don't have face to face contact with, that it depends on the member of staff responsible for being in contact ( you'd think it would be the keyworker - but not always! ) I've had some that are excellent at using email to stay in touch, or text messages, or even phone calls if home/setting books don't work.

I just think it is obvious to me, that if you have a child moving on, adding additional care to their 'collection', I would want to make the transition easier for that child, but then maybe, those settings where has child just arrived, should be the ones chasing for 'sharing'.

so, the children that came to me from day nursery, should, I feel, have come with a 'transition'/hello form and I would have been in instant reply!

( when I have children moving on to nursery/school or even another childminder, I always create a transition form, and ask parents to pass it on )

I'm told by some large settings, that the staff have enough to do, and can't be chasing childminders, and that it is down to the parents to pass on information. I do usually at this point, remind them about 'working in partnership' !!!

I would love something to be sorted out once and for all, but as it is down to individuals, I don't think this will ever be solved!
    You are right...it needs to be resolved and it needs to be raised so cms know what they need to evidence for the CIF and where they stand if their efforts have gone wasted.
    Until we get a few more inspections reports out it is hard to decide.

I also understand Ofsted are encouraging 'sharing and support' to have those Leaders nominated....that includes schools now because the framework is 'common'

Maybe it needs a new approach?
    if it affected me I would go and find out what can be done.

Simona Guest

Just to add this...it did affect me in the past and I was getting nowhere in one instance
    So I approached my EY team and asked how they encourage settings to work together.

They told me what to do but when I didn't again make any progress in this particular issue they asked me to name the nursery...I refused as I was not whistleblowing...just asking for advice and a way to resolve the matter.
    They said they would send an email to all settings encouraging sharing...if it has worked I don't know but I feel I tried my best.
    EY teams are still there to support us...they should be used where we find barriers to our practice.

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had a mixed bag of responses from other settings. 1 school nursery agreed meetings with me but we're very slack with paperwork side of things, another never responded to anything I sent, another childminder didn't respond to me either. Most recently a preschool that has only sent me 1 letter in over a year has suddenly sent me fab stuff, talked to me and even filled out my reply slips! They have offered for me to have a login to their online system which I have agreed to. The realisation of extra work is worrying me a little but I do think it will help the children and I hope that finally ofsted will agree that I have done all I can to work in partnership- it was something that came up in my last inspection 5 years ago.

22. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I have had a mixed bag of responses from other settings. 1 school nursery agreed meetings with me but we're very slack with paperwork side of things, another never responded to anything I sent, another childminder didn't respond to me either. Most recently a preschool that has only sent me 1 letter in over a year has suddenly sent me fab stuff, talked to me and even filled out my reply slips! They have offered for me to have a login to their online system which I have agreed to. The realisation of extra work is worrying me a little but I do think it will help the children and I hope that finally ofsted will agree that I have done all I can to work in partnership- it was something that came up in my last inspection 5 years ago.
    Yes and I am sure that many more settings will 'start' to liaise...finally the penny has dropped!
    It would worry me too to have additional work by having to check or log in to a website...what will that tell you?

I maybe wrong in interpreting how Wilshaw will award any nominated Leader their special certificate but I don't think it is by giving others a link to a website?...I think it is by sharing hands-on

When it comes to having to share the 30 hours in future I think many preschools will soon liaise with cms...it would be foolish of them not to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

It does make me reflect that these online systems could be beneficial for sharing info. I'm paper based at present and am comfortable with this system, but I would be reluctant to let my LJs go to another setting, whereas an online LJ can be accessed by parents, nurseries and CM's. Does anyone combine paper based and online?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    It does make me reflect that these online systems could be beneficial for sharing info. I'm paper based at present and am comfortable with this system, but I would be reluctant to let my LJs go to another setting, whereas an online LJ can be accessed by parents, nurseries and CM's. Does anyone combine paper based and online?
    Very good point!
    when the Integrated Review comes in force in Sept 2015 I would assume this will come to light.
    We can only wait and see
    although settings say they are 'paperless' in the end I actually wonder if this is really so? I would like to see this system as I am very curious about it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast