Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been surprised with the great response and communications from 2 preschools in my town. I haven't dealt with them before as I always have children going to the local preschool.

The local Preschool is not good at sharing and has never responded to my letters and ideas.......and would you believe that the owner is an Ofsted inspector...how ironic!!
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I have been surprised with the great response and communications from 2 preschools in my town. I haven't dealt with them before as I always have children going to the local preschool.

The local Preschool is not good at sharing and has never responded to my letters and ideas.......and would you believe that the owner is an Ofsted inspector...how ironic!!
    Ah....the problem with that inspector ,who is the owner, is that she will never be awarded the Leader Certificate form Ofsted...maybe the manager has realised that....good to hear that changes in attitude are happening!
    We should push for more in a constructive way ...and be listened to!

Cms too can be awarded Leadership recognition"

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The online system they use is for their learning journeys Simona and so it would be a very hands on way of sharing what they are doing and combining next steps. So for example I would see what next steps they are working on and if they do something at mine that shows they have reached the step I can then input it in their learning journey for the preschool so they can see they are doing this. So very hands on and a great idea. My only trouble is that I use a different online system myself. I am hoping that I can just copy my obs and paste them into the their system as I don't really want to be doing loads extra. I also only have 2 logins per family which are mostly used by mum and dad so I can't give mine to them although to be honest I can't see them inputting to mine.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    The online system they use is for their learning journeys Simona and so it would be a very hands on way of sharing what they are doing and combining next steps. So for example I would see what next steps they are working on and if they do something at mine that shows they have reached the step I can then input it in their learning journey for the preschool so they can see they are doing this. So very hands on and a great idea. My only trouble is that I use a different online system myself. I am hoping that I can just copy my obs and paste them into the their system as I don't really want to be doing loads extra. I also only have 2 logins per family which are mostly used by mum and dad so I can't give mine to them although to be honest I can't see them inputting to mine.
    Thank you for the clarification samb......your comment triggered the very question you ask 'what if my system is different'?

Also if you felt your child's progress was not at the same level assessed at the nursery how would you approach them to discuss?
    Very interesting especially for those cms who do not use an online system but one devised by them?
    Great topic this!

Post Thanks / Like

"My integrated learning journey" - going off into a little world of my own here, but what if something like this existed (it may already?). An online account which could be shared with several people CM's, parents, health visitors, nursery's, preschools, schools. Any of the above can input developmental steps and everyone can view (those with access) it could have the 2 yr review, transition reports etc all in one place. You could also use a messaging function to contact each other and maybe set up online meetings. Just a thought mmmm......

7. Likes BallyH liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    "My integrated learning journey" - going off into a little world of my own here, but what if something like this existed (it may already?). An online account which could be shared with several people CM's, parents, health visitors, nursery's, preschools, schools. Any of the above can input developmental steps and everyone can view (those with access) it could have the 2 yr review, transition reports etc all in one place. You could also use a messaging function to contact each other and maybe set up online meetings. Just a thought mmmm......
    Oooooo that sounds good!

I've just spoken to nursery my mindees attend ... aparently one mum should already have shared a home/setting book with me ! And they will start one for the other child after half term ... despite my saying i already have one THEY can write in, and that child spends more hours with me!!! ... it has to be theirs, as that's how they work and seemed deaf to hearing how I work!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone actually found it's beneficial to the child if we share info, or is it more something we do to tick a box for Ofsted?

I had a really good working relationship with the nursery my own children went to and where a lot of my mindees went and we used to have good discussions about how they were doing, how we were both dealing with behaviour, what areas we were working on etc. That's a few years ago though. Now, I do get some info from some other settings, but it's very rarely of any use.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Has anyone actually found it's beneficial to the child if we share info, or is it more something we do to tick a box for Ofsted?

I had a really good working relationship with the nursery my own children went to and where a lot of my mindees went and we used to have good discussions about how they were doing, how we were both dealing with behaviour, what areas we were working on etc. That's a few years ago though. Now, I do get some info from some other settings, but it's very rarely of any use.
    I share with school nursery and it benefits the children as we know what we are all working on.
    I reserve judgement on 'new' ( to me ) nursery. Couldn't tell me much/anything on phone, but that was manager, not key workers!

Simona Guest

Good idea...I would put a copyright on that if I were you!

All info in one place then when the education people present that to the health visitor the Integrated Review is complete!
    It may be better than the current system where many children end up with 2 LJs which are rarely shared!

Simona Guest

Just a thought natilou.....doesn't something similar exist already! The CAF?
    So it could be done!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if that were extended to all children. This thread has really got me thinking! I do think if partnership working was really efficient it would benefit the children greatly as we all know children behave differently in different situations/settings and you would get a much fuller picture. My aim is to now improve my current system! Thanks to the OP :-)

Simona Guest

Yes, if that were extended to all children. This thread has really got me thinking! I do think if partnership working was really efficient it would benefit the children greatly as we all know children behave differently in different situations/settings and you would get a much fuller picture. My aim is to now improve my current system! Thanks to the OP :-)
    I like your thinking!!
    Yes it would benefit the children but also cut a lot of red tape!

Mouse you ask a very good question and also reflect that years ago things were different.
    I used to have teachers visiting my setting...not any longer as they too are overwhelmed by bureaucracy and paperwork.

We still have meetings with teachers in June in my LA to share info about the children who will go to their school.
    LJs are shown...then in Sept teachers do home visits and pick more info up from the parents... and in future they will do the Baseline 2 weeks after start of term.

It is such a roundabout way of doing things...and wastes everyone's effort and time!
    We need a new system...above all we need an EYFS that spells clearly what 'working in partnership' with other setting is all about...and it is not to please Ofsted!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12