If you care for 2 year olds, what is in your continuous provision for art/mark making
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If you care for 2 year olds, what is in your continuous provision for art/mark making

Im an ex childminder, trying my best to get used to working in a nursery!

Their art provision is pretty unimaginative, it consists of coloured pencils, crayons, some scraps of white paper, chalk and chalk boards, rolling pins and cutters for dough (but no dough), a whiteboard and some scraps of felt (no glue or tape).

They have the space and money for a lot more, so I was wondering what kind of things you all have for 2 years olds. When I was childminding I adopted a Reggio approach and all of the art supplies were out all of the time, even with the littlies around, but I do understand that this could be difficult in a classroom of 15+ 2-3 year olds.

I've already added dot stickers and stencils, but when I tried to put in some dry wipe markers for the white board I was told that pens could only be used under close supervision... scissors are an absolute no.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kbrands View Post
    Im an ex childminder, trying my best to get used to working in a nursery!

Their art provision is pretty unimaginative, it consists of coloured pencils, crayons, some scraps of white paper, chalk and chalk boards, rolling pins and cutters for dough (but no dough), a whiteboard and some scraps of felt (no glue or tape).

They have the space and money for a lot more, so I was wondering what kind of things you all have for 2 years olds. When I was childminding I adopted a Reggio approach and all of the art supplies were out all of the time, even with the littlies around, but I do understand that this could be difficult in a classroom of 15+ 2-3 year olds.

I've already added dot stickers and stencils, but when I tried to put in some dry wipe markers for the white board I was told that pens could only be used under close supervision... scissors are an absolute no.
    Absolutely heart breaking to read about such 'controlled' and unimaginative practice and lack of freedom/choice for 2 year olds.
    I have witnessed it myself so can see where you are coming from....also lots of activities not allowed 'just in case' such as scissors...sad!

Why don't you put your suggestions at the next staff meeting...tell them what you used to do and suggest way of 'trying' new things.

Hope they will take your experience on board....good luck!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do structured art activities up to the dining table but at other times children have access to a magnetic drawing board, clip boards with paper on and pens attached with string, outside I have a large blackboard and basket of chalks - today though the children have chosen to clean the blackboard by painting it with water and large DIY paint brushes.

I looked after children who came to me from a work place creche / Nursery and they both had the concentration span of a gnat, maybe they had boring art activities there too!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glue is a must - and the staff need to expect a lot of the children to simply put the glue on their hands and then pick it all off. Pritt sticks are very useful at that age too.

No paint??? Shocking.

If staff are organised properly then there could be someone manning the creative table at all times while the children freely explore the materials. I'm sure not all 15 of them will be there at one time.

Cutters are not the most imaginative things for dough, unless the children are using them as part of a bigger activity, such as pretending to bake biscuits - then I like them to have access to the pretend cooking area and not have the dough restricted to one table. If mine use animal cutters then they like to have access to googly eyes, buttons etc.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like my idea of a nightmare.
    I have pva glue and paint in pump style bottles it slows the amount the children get out at one time, but I get the feeling this would be considered too risky at your nursery?
    Clean mark making would be things like magnetic boards, chalk boards,aqua draw mats, water and paint pots/brushes outdoors.
    More messy but clean would be shaving foam in trays, deeper trays mean less mess.
    Craft resources, would masking tape be acceptable? It's easier to tear off peels off when stuck where not wanted and can be drawn on.
    Pipe cleaners, stickers, crayons, pencils. Oh goodness it sounds so boring. Poor you.
    Why can't they have washable felt pens? Easy paint bottles, ink stampers, gel pens, why is there no play dough? Plastic scissors in dough would be a great compromise to the no scissor rule.

6. Likes Maza, VeggieSausage liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous isn't it?

They have absolutely no trust for the children, that's why there's no glue or play dough. I nearly laughed out loud when they said we couldn't put coloured pens in there!! If a child drew on something they shouldn't in my cm setting, we would have grabbed the cleaning caddy and washed it off together- another learning experience. No such opportunity here.

It's very sad, as while we do have some younger ones who might draw on books and squash dough into the carpet given the chance, we also have quite a few older ones who would enjoy the variety and responsibility of a more comprehensive art area. I brought in some laminated print outs of some art work to do with our topic for talking points/inspiration in the art area and was met with 'what do you actually want to DO with them' and 'well I'm just worried that the children will ruin them if they're over there'.

They're all brilliant ideas, thank you! Unfortunately the room leader removed the dot stickers and put the stencils in the play dough cutter basket (?). I guess she has her own vision for what it should be (minimalist, perhaps?!), unfortunately I won't know what that is as we don't seem to have staff meetings!

Ahh, I miss being my own boss!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear. Parents actually pay for this? I wonder what their Ofsted rating is.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's one of the most expensive nurseries in the area