"Notices changes in number of objects/images or sounds in group of up to 3"  ??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Notices changes in number of objects/images or sounds in group of up to 3" ??

Does anyone have any useful tips or advice for how they observe this behaviour? I'm really struggling with this since it seems really subjective and almost, completely happening inside the baby's head. How do I notice them noticing? IYSWIM.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I "tick" this one off if I give the child 3 objects (eg duplo blocks) and they play with them for a while, then I take one or 2 away and observe the child looking for them.

Have you got a copy of DM or only EYO? - in Development Matters next to that statement in Maths, Numbers - birth to 11 months, if you look along to Enabling environments it suggests "provide a small group of the same objects in treasure baskets, as well as single items eg: 2 fir cones or 3 shells.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have both of those documents, but seem to use DM much more. I'll have a look at the Enabling Environments, thanks. It's a good idea to see if they look for an object when the numbers change.

I do hate how open to interpretation some of the statements are. :S

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    Thanks. I have both of those documents, but seem to use DM much more. I'll have a look at the Enabling Environments, thanks. It's a good idea to see if they look for an object when the numbers change.

I do hate how open to interpretation some of the statements are. :S
    It would be great if they rewrote it in plain English like the Parents Guide - I just looked in that and it says "Maths, numbers birth to 11 month "I notice where there is one thing or when there are lots of things (up to 3 things) in a bowl or basket.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    It would be great if they rewrote it in plain English like the Parents Guide - I just looked in that and it says "Maths, numbers birth to 11 month "I notice where there is one thing or when there are lots of things (up to 3 things) in a bowl or basket.
    I use that 'What To Expect, When?' booklet a lot, even before reaching for DM or EYO. It is more useful most of the time.

8. Likes hectors house, loocyloo liked this post