Next steps
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Next steps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Next steps

Hi,

I'm newly registered and I understand completely (I think) what I'm doing when it comes to observing the children and link to the development matters grids to ensure that they're developing and achieving their development goals, however I'm having a headache when it comes to 'next steps'.

Perhaps I'm over thinking it, I have no idea but I seem to be constantly unsure of what I'm doing with next steps. I have viewed examples so many times and I still get confused. I think I'm so paranoid about Ofsted and them telling me I'm not good enough, I then doubt myself even more.

Any tips on next steps would be greatly appreciated please.

Many thanks in advance.

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone does things differently. My next steps are sometimes the smallest of things, some are larger and some of my obs don't have them.

3yr old mindee bought me a plate of pretend food with some carrots and a potato on it so next steps were to look at how carrots and veg in general grow. Which can lead onto planting some carrots, learning how to water and look after them.

8m old mindee pulled to standing using the sofa so a major step is to provide items for mindee to support and hold onto to support and encourage walking.

2yr old mindee had laid the table with a plate and a cup. The next step was for mindee to include a knife and fork or a spoon. Or to lay a plate for someone else.

3yr old mindee was showing me how to slide through the tunnel on her tummy in the garden and next step was to find other ways to move and around the grass ....rolling, frog jumping, crawling, sliding.

HTH
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. That helps a lot. They sound so simple but I think I just work myself up!

2.5 yr old caught a big ball today so I have put as a next step to practice catching a smaller ball etc.

Thanks for your help. This forum is great.

Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the next steps can just be "repeat this activity as the child enjoyed it so much" - sometimes the next steps are for me and sometimes they are a plea for the parents to continue at home. eg: If we have been playing bingo numbers 0-20 but child is struggling with 10 - 20, it could be a next steps for parents to look out for numbers on doors in their street with the child.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AmyWatty View Post
    Thank you. That helps a lot. They sound so simple but I think I just work myself up!

2.5 yr old caught a big ball today so I have put as a next step to practice catching a smaller ball etc.

Thanks for your help. This forum is great.
    It is simple and you must not dread Ofsted...their interest now is in how you teach/support children and follow child development natural course which is in the Development Matters.

So when you have identified a next steps how will you encourage the child to achieve this until it is well embedded?
    Your example of catching a ball is very good...now you can provide many opportunities to practice