Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem with planning

Hello
    Have problem finding planned activities which involve a1year old and a 3 year old. I feel like the one year old is usually left out.

Also question about planning. Is it ok to do monthly planning on one bit of paper only with all the children.i only have 3 children and all part time. They are 1,2and3 years old.
    Can I say: week 1. Lego: Child A talk about colors and build a house, child B make a tower of more than5 bricks, child C put bricks in turn
    Outside: child A help her with tricycle ,child B throw the ball to her and play catch, child C. Roll a ball to her.

I am probably completely wrong about individual planning and could do with a few advise.
    Thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Planning is a very personal thing. I would do no planing for the 1 year old, apart from having appropriate space and resources (push-along trolley, natural objects in treasure baskets, pans and boxes to bang, board books etc.) and encouraging next stage of independence (sippy cup, holding own cup, holding own spoon etc).

What is most important is why you are planning things- linking to what they are enjoying at the moment and their next steps. But I keep it very vague, flexible and do it over a whole term, not a week! I do not plan 'lego' for a week as the children will choose their own things to play with.

For a 1yo and a 3yo together it is usually a case of an activity for the 3yo and letting the 1yo explore the same resources (if safe) or having separate things for them. They do not need to be doing things 'together' as the 1yo is nowhere near that level of cooperative play. If I am baking with a 3yo I'd have extra wooden spoons and bowls for the 1 yo on the floor, or have 1yo in a high chair pulled up the the same surface with spoons and kitchen bits and pieces to explore. While the 1yo is napping is a good time to do more grown-up activities with the 3yo, I found.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll drive yourself potty trying to plan for under 3 year olds! Follow their interests. It can be simple things. You don't have to plan for every tiny little thing. Have a rough idea of what you will do that day and go from there.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

4. Likes moggy, Dragonfly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ripeberry View Post
    You'll drive yourself potty trying to plan for under 3 year olds! Follow their interests. It can be simple things. You don't have to plan for every tiny little thing. Have a rough idea of what you will do that day and go from there.
    Is it ok to tell OFSTED that we don't plan for under 3 year olds other than to have age appropriate resources out or would that be frowned upon?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Is it ok to tell OFSTED that we don't plan for under 3 year olds other than to have age appropriate resources out or would that be frowned upon?
    I don't think I'd tell an inspector 'I don't plan for 3 yo's'. I would talk about how I plan for their next steps, following their interests, providing experiences/resources to help move them on in their learning based on obs and working with parents etc etc.

'Plan' does not mean write up a chart or day by day activities, Plan for under-3 yo's is having playdough available, going out to visit a farm, having clear space when a 1yo is starting to walk etc.

7. Likes bunyip, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I don't think I'd tell an inspector 'I don't plan for 3 yo's'. I would talk about how I plan for their next steps, following their interests, providing experiences/resources to help move them on in their learning based on obs and working with parents etc etc. 'Plan' does not mean write up a chart or day by day activities, Plan for under-3 yo's is having playdough available, going out to visit a farm, having clear space when a 1yo is starting to walk etc.
    Thanks moggy :-) Great advice as always

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Thanks moggy :-) Great advice as always
    Your planning for the younger ones can be as simple as your routine for the day. So your storytime/songtime outside play etc.

Just because 99% of the time the day plan doesn't work the little one has no interest he wanted to go to the mega blocks etc or he just wanted to walk around the furniture doesn't mean you are not planning just that you adapt to the child at the time
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Your planning for the younger ones can be as simple as your routine for the day. So your storytime/songtime outside play etc. Just because 99% of the time the day plan doesn't work the little one has no interest he wanted to go to the mega blocks etc or he just wanted to walk around the furniture doesn't mean you are not planning just that you adapt to the child at the time
    Thanks fussy x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Top 2 types of planning:

1. Adaptive planning. Pretty much as described by Fussy. Write something down in advance, then let the little chaps do what the h3ck they like. It's called "having a childhood" and they learn better that way.
    2. Retrospective planning. Don't write the plan until they've done what they wanted (see '1', above) then make it look like that's what you meant them to do all along.

13. Likes AliceK, v 1461 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Top 2 types of planning:[*]Adaptive planning. Pretty much as described by Fussy. Write something down in advance, then let the little chaps do what the h3ck they like. It's called "having a childhood" and they learn better that way.[*]Retrospective planning. Don't write the plan until they've done what they wanted (see '1', above) then make it look like that's what you meant them to do all along.
    Lol!!! :-)