Another Ratio Question... (Sorry!)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Ratio Question... (Sorry!)

Can anyone help me with what is expected of me currently? I am doing before and after school care for a child in preschool. She is in school from 8:50- 15:10. I have set her up a learning journey and intend to observe and plan for the small time that she's here and I'm counting her in my early years ratio. Is this right? She starts Reception in September, so my understanding is that she will be a Rising 5 from then, giving me a free space.

So my question is, does it only count as a full school day when they are in reception and not in a preschool located in a school? I know that section 3.40 says that before/after school don't have to meet L&D requirements, is this also only from Reception?

My confusion comes from some preschools keeping the same hours as reception and being connected to the reception class, seeming very much like school.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as Im aware LO's are rising 5's when they are 4 and in year R. In a preschool attached to a school is still a preschool no matter what hours they are open.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have added that if my understanding of it is correct the child is still in your under 5's for ratios until yrR.

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks shortstuff. Any idea on if the expectations change on what paperwork I have to do for her? Because she is only before and after school, even though she's not in Reception yet.

Note: I'm doing the maximum anyway, but it's pretty hard giving the limited time that I see her.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same situation and i do the full amount myself. Obs n next steps etc. Its just that i approach it all in a much more subtle way. The lo i have here is tired after 6 hours of preschool and doesn't need me setting her tough tasks.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

the childcare act 2006 defines school as reception class

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    Can anyone help me with what is expected of me currently? I am doing before and after school care for a child in preschool. She is in school from 8:50- 15:10. I have set her up a learning journey and intend to observe and plan for the small time that she's here and I'm counting her in my early years ratio. Is this right? She starts Reception in September, so my understanding is that she will be a Rising 5 from then, giving me a free space.

So my question is, does it only count as a full school day when they are in reception and not in a preschool located in a school? I know that section 3.40 says that before/after school don't have to meet L&D requirements, is this also only from Reception?

My confusion comes from some preschools keeping the same hours as reception and being connected to the reception class, seeming very much like school.
    I take it by preschool you mean the child is in a state nursery?...next years the child goes to reception?
    IF the child is in a nursery class then he/she is getting all the hours of L&D there ...so all you do is compliment that learning with your own activities, I would not over plan...keep the info sharing with the school and the parents

Unless you mean she is in a private preschool which is a registered setting but still she is getting the full early education hours there?

Unfortunately our EYFS is so very out of date because the L&D have changed...you are doing well and ok by the current framework
    It won't be long before the EYFS is finally updated when the govt takes a pause for breath from the changes!

One thing definitely needed is one set of shared terminology...even the DfE gets it all wrong and thinks everything revolves around nurseries!