Communication with other settings
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Communication with other settings

I have 3 children who all attend the same nursery. Each child has a daily diary which I complete each day and when each child started going to nursery I sent a letter introducing myself and inviting them to communicate in the diary and read it to find out what we have been doing. They never did, and this wk have sent home a communication diary (which they've never had before) and want me to write in it each day! I don't do long term plans and plan week to week. I don't want to repeat what I'm writing for each child so just wondered what others would do in this situation. Thanks.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3 way communication book which started off introducing the child and his interests and inviting them to write in it. It will go backwards and forwards (hopefully, if it doesn't get lost) and I will just note down anything I see and observe. I don't intend to write in it everyday as I only need to write things in there that are interesting and informative.

' Billy counted to 10 today' with date.
    'Today we went for a long walk and Billy was really interested in watching the sheep from the fence. When we got back we made a sheep from cotton wool which he loved'
    'Billy has shown interest in the letter H recently as he recognises it from his Helicopter landing pad at home'
    'Billy was feeling a bit under the weather today so hopefully he's feeling better today'

Just little brief observations. nothing too long but informative.
    I wouldn't have time to write a lot in another diary if I was already doing one for parents
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally would just write in their one and not your one. I would write a letter saying thank you for making connections with me in regards to x and x and x, I see that you would be happier to communicate in the book you have provided on xx/xx/xx. Therefore from this date on I will cease to send the book I provided on xx/xx/xx and use this one instead, I look forward to working with you to progress xx learning experiences. I would also put a reply slip on the bottom of each one so they can acknowledge receipt of the letter. I would then put a copy of the letter and reply slip in the child's LJ so that you have a record of your fab communication with the other setting and just continue as normal with their book. Unless of course you have some sort of flashy book but I only use cheap poundland diaries for this and then I send LJ summaries once a term.

4. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jcrakers, that's very useful and thank you samb but I'm reluctant to stop doing my daily diary and just do their communication book as I add photos and letters to my diary (to make sure they make it home!). Also I'm not convinced that they (nursery) will add much to whichever communication book we use (I used to work there) as I invited them to communicate in the diaries almost 2 years ago, when one child started attending and several times since and have not had anything in return. They have also just started using an online version for parents which I don't have access to. Thanks for your reply ladies. X

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you either:
    add minimal information to theirs- not a full run down just odd interests.
    Photo copy your entry from your own diary and glue into theirs

7. Likes wendy72 liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy72 View Post
    Thanks jcrakers, that's very useful and thank you samb but I'm reluctant to stop doing my daily diary and just do their communication book as I add photos and letters to my diary (to make sure they make it home!). Also I'm not convinced that they (nursery) will add much to whichever communication book we use (I used to work there) as I invited them to communicate in the diaries almost 2 years ago, when one child started attending and several times since and have not had anything in return. They have also just started using an online version for parents which I don't have access to. Thanks for your reply ladies. X
    Oh my gosh - in that case no I wouldn't be using the diary instead I hadn't realised how awful their partnership had been so far. I would perhaps then just write a letter reiterating that they can see your diary and leave it at that.

9. Likes wendy72 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There's one of at least two different things going on here.

Either you've had a bad experience of communication/information sharing with this setting, and they're now trying to dictate how you share information.

OR

You've had a bad experience of communication/information sharing with this setting, and they're now trying to turn over a new leaf and at least make a start on proper and valuable information sharing.

Whichever is the case, this represents a new and positive opportunity and should make the most of it. IIWY, I'd be as 'positive' as possible, but without forgetting what's gone before and without letting the nursery control everything. You and they both need to remember that communication is a 2-way street.

So, I'd reply saying how pleased I am to see they now want to communicate for the child's best interest. Invite them to use your daily diary to communicate or that you're pleased to put observation entries in their communication diary when appropriate. At this point, the key thing is to make the most of their willingness to communicate, keep the door open, and make sure you're working 'in partnership' for the child - not with the nursery acting as 'senior partner' for its own interests.

I have quite a similar thing. A child who attends here 2 mornings a week and attends a good nursery 3 full days pw. They've sent me a 'communication book' and requested one entry per week. I 'phoned the nursery and introduced myself to his keyworker and had a very useful chat. I've said I'm happy to put things in the communications book, but it won't always be a weekly entry just for the sake of it if there's little or nothing worth saying. He's still under 1yo, and has 2 mornings here, which include a sleep, meal/snack/bottles, etc. plus the walk to handover to grandma. IOW, there's not a huge amount of time for play/activities and he's not 100% settled yet, so there's not a huge amount to observe. Nursery is absolutely fine about it.

11. Likes wendy72 liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my daily diaries and send them home to parents. I don't send mine into nursery. I did send them a copy (with parents permission) of the 2 yr progress report as I do them closer to 3. Our nursery doesn't do diaries.