Feel abit of a failure
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feel abit of a failure

Hi All,

I've been registered for 8 months now, and one of my first mindees who is now 16 months had meningitis when he was a few weeks old.

He is such a clever boy - saying lots of new words every day (single words), understands simple instructions and for most areas of L&D, he's in the 16-26 month bracket and some areas 22-36 months.

Mum mentioned today that she would be picking him up 15 mins early as he has a meningitis hearing check and Mum was laughing about it saying there is nothing wrong with his hearing and I felt the same way.

Anyhow, Mum has text me tonight to let me know that he has failed his hearing test and there is not much activity in the lower part of his ear - Mum is obviously upset over this and is hoping it was due to him being poorly last week (croup) and very tired - he is due to go back in 6 weeks for another check-up.

I am really shocked, as I have never noticed any issues or had any concerns over his hearing (he responds to his name, he hears a knock at the door...) - but I feel guilty like its my job to pick up on concerns such as this through my observations (I care for him 3 days a week between 9.00-15.00).

I'll be watching him like a hawk tomorrow to see if I've missed anything 😢 xx

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Meningitis hearing tests are far more complex than just if they can hear you call their name, I hope this link works (or search it):

www.ndcs.org.uk/document.rm?id=1442

Meningitis and childhood deafness - NDCS

There are so many levels of pitch, frequency, loudness etc etc that they test. You are not a medic, you are not a hearing expert, it is not your job to know or diagnose these things.

Maybe the problem they think they have found proves not to be the case on future tests, maybe it is something that you could not have noticed yourself, maybe the child is compensating by using other non-audible cues so it is hard to tell if he is hearing fully or not...

I am sure you are doing a wonderful job for this family and helping them through a tough time. Do not be hard on yourself and do not think you should know everything, we are not trained (or paid!) to know or be able to spot everything!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moggy, you've made me feel much better!
    Thanks for the link aswell xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My dd is 10 and has had ear aches and a few ear infections in the last few years.

She also has very waxy ears and has just had them 'vacuumed' ! Despite having seen an audiologist for 2 years and being signed off a year ago! .. with a 'slight' hearing loss.
    Her most recent hearing test now says that her hearing of low pitch and soft sounds in one ear is borderline and the other ear is a little worse BUT because she copes they are not going to do anything except monitor.
    I was horrified as I had no idea! She can do everything ... plays instruments, sings, dances, acts , is a very high achiever at school and always has been. The Dr said that she has probably always lip read and as a bright motivated child found ways to solve something she didn't know was 'wrong'.

So you and mum mustn't blame yourselves for not picking up on it. And with support there is nothing this LO can not do.

Xxx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    My dd is 10 and has had ear aches and a few ear infections in the last few years. She also has very waxy ears and has just had them 'vacuumed' ! Despite having seen an audiologist for 2 years and being signed off a year ago! .. with a 'slight' hearing loss. Her most recent hearing test now says that her hearing of low pitch and soft sounds in one ear is borderline and the other ear is a little worse BUT because she copes they are not going to do anything except monitor. I was horrified as I had no idea! She can do everything ... plays instruments, sings, dances, acts , is a very high achiever at school and always has been. The Dr said that she has probably always lip read and as a bright motivated child found ways to solve something she didn't know was 'wrong'. So you and mum mustn't blame yourselves for not picking up on it. And with support there is nothing this LO can not do. Xxx
    Thanks Loocyloo!

I was all deflated earlier after Mums text, but feel much better after the advice on this forum!

I'll pass on your comments to Mum xx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

If it helps DS had 4 hearing tests by the age of 2. The 1st 2 were inconclusive because he was oxygen dependent ( the tubes ran over his ears). The 3rd he had had a thick cold. So it took 4 with him. Trust me he hears a sweet wrapper from any distance lol.