Children's illnesses
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Children's illnesses

Help! Our children keep arriving with chest infections, coughs and runny noses. Do we keep sending them home as they do not get better and spread their germs further. Parents blame it all on teething. Two children have now been diagnosed with bronchilitas. What should we do?

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    Help! Our children keep arriving with chest infections, coughs and runny noses. Do we keep sending them home as they do not get better and spread their germs further. Parents blame it all on teething. Two children have now been diagnosed with bronchilitas. What should we do?
    I am about to add the following advice into my sickness policy re. teething (I haven't decided which bit to put in yet, so here's both fyi). I'd recommend you to do something similar.

Teething symptoms

Some teeth grow with no pain or discomfort at all. At other times you may notice that the gum is sore and red where the tooth is coming through, or that one cheek is flushed. Your baby may dribble, gnaw and chew a lot, or just be fretful. Read our tips on how to help your teething baby.

Some people attribute a wide range of symptoms to teething, such as diarrhoea and fever. However, there is no research to prove that these other symptoms are linked.

You know your baby best. If their behaviour seems unusual, or their symptoms are severe or causing you concern, then seek medical advice. You can call NHS 111 or contact your GP.

Read more about spotting the signs of serious illness.

Teething symptoms - Pregnancy and baby guide - NHS Choices

There is little evidence that fever (temperature) and mild diarrhoea are caused by teething. Teething should not cause your child to become unwell. If your baby or child has a high temperature (fever), diarrhoea or other symptoms and is unwell then you should see your doctor to check for another cause of their symptoms. (For example, an ear infection, chest infection or urinary infection.)

Baby Teething. Age, Symptoms and Signs of Teething | Patient.co.uk

I exclude for any infection until the child is sufficiently recovered, appetite has returned to normal, and they have spent at least 24 hours not being dependant on medication before they return to the setting. I also remind parents that children have to be well enough to take part in a full childminding day, which includes going out to play in all weathers, and on the school run walks.

If I have to send a child home who has been dropped off too ill to participate in the childminding day, then I ask parents to keep their child at home for the next 24 hours as well, as a minimum, plus any other exclusion applies (e.g. 48 hours for D&V).

I hope this helps. As far as I see it, "my policy, my rules". I even write these terms into the contract up-front so there is absolutely no wriggle room, and I send the poorly children home with a printed copy of my sickness policy in their bag.

L

3. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    We can't escape runny noses and coughs...but we need to avoid the spread of infection in the setting ...EYFS WR.
    Teething can be blamed for young children ...not older ones
    It's a bit like blaming tiredness for tantrums...Mmm! not always!!

Bronchilitis can turn serious in young children as it can affect their breathing...I have come across it and parents have always kept children at home
    Bronchiolitis - NHS Choices

5. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Simona said, we can't escape the nasties, lol, although I seem to be doing a fantastic job of avoiding it at the moment - I know, I know, I've said it now

2 out of the 3 LO's have arrived today all congested (didn't have them yesterday) - been suitably calpol'd as woke with a 'bit of a temperature' but 'fine in themselves' - all 3 sent home by 10am as temps spiked and no more respective medicine allowed till well after lunchtime, so not well enough to stay here (I only have one set of knees and arms and all 3 get very territorial when they're not 100% )

So, bets are now on - will it get me in time for the weekend, have 2 rotten days, and back to work Monday, OR, it'll creep up making me feel more and more lousy and then get me in the middle of next week?

7. Likes lollipop kid, AliceK liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I am very strict on my policies D & or v is 48 regardless of "teething" foods ect unless they are undergoing medical reasons Temperatures- if they have one they go home. I do not give infant paracetamol. I don't take temperatures I use my instinct! I recently sent one home as really out of sorts and raising in temperature mum not happy! But the next day this lo got blue lighted as her breathing became different and she was showing signs of meningitis! Was off for 2 weeks. Moral of that story to me, I knew she wasn't well and stuck to my policies. (Lo is fine, just a virus....) They need to be clear of infant paracetamol for 24 hours upon return. 24 hours after any antibiotics (as my own dd had a huge reaction at 4 months, so yes I do!)

I'm not a dragon haha they lovelies have passed on their cold to me and I've woke feeling rotten today, coughs and colds but able to do the normal day is fine haha

9. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rubybubbles View Post
    I am very strict on my policies D & or v is 48 regardless of "teething" foods ect unless they are undergoing medical reasons Temperatures- if they have one they go home. I do not give infant paracetamol. I don't take temperatures I use my instinct! I recently sent one home as really out of sorts and raising in temperature mum not happy! But the next day this lo got blue lighted as her breathing became different and she was showing signs of meningitis! Was off for 2 weeks. Moral of that story to me, I knew she wasn't well and stuck to my policies. (Lo is fine, just a virus....) They need to be clear of infant paracetamol for 24 hours upon return. 24 hours after any antibiotics (as my own dd had a huge reaction at 4 months, so yes I do!)

I'm not a dragon haha they lovelies have passed on their cold to me and I've woke feeling rotten today, coughs and colds but able to do the normal day is fine haha
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Also, not sure if you (or any of us other childminders are aware), but due to Ebola, the latest NHS guidelines have lowered the fever temperature from 38 degrees as below:

"A fever is a high temperature. As a general rule, in children, a temperature of over 37.5°C (99.5°F) is a fever."

Fever in children - NHS Choices

Hope it helps. I've linked it to my Sickness policy.

L

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Also, not sure if you (or any of us other childminders are aware), but due to Ebola, the latest NHS guidelines have lowered the fever temperature from 38 degrees as below:

"A fever is a high temperature. As a general rule, in children, a temperature of over 37.5°C (99.5°F) is a fever."

Fever in children - NHS Choices

Hope it helps. I've linked it to my Sickness policy.

L
    That is useful to know ...thanks for sharing

Children's temperature can go up and down very quickly and regularly.
    I used to find it difficult to get parents to take their child home when they had a temperature because we differed in opinion...invariably my thermometer was blamed for being wrong against theirs

so when a new child starts now I ask the parents to record on the child's medical history what their 'normal' temperature is...

I have not had a problem since!!

12. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    That is useful to know ...thanks for sharing

Children's temperature can go up and down very quickly and regularly.
    I used to find it difficult to get parents to take their child home when they had a temperature because we differed in opinion...invariably my thermometer was blamed for being wrong against theirs

so when a new child starts now I ask the parents to record on the child's medical history what their 'normal' temperature is...

I have not had a problem since!!
    Brilliant idea! I'll be doing that from now on.

(I love this Forum!!!)

L