Garden ideas
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Garden ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garden ideas

I'm looking for some ideas for the garden. We have chalk boards and the usually toys, playhouse etc but I'm looking for ideas of what else I could have outside to fit around eyfs

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to make the most of the natural environment, for example I have a small bamboo plant in the corner which is a jungle for the wild animals or dinosaurs , we have added other natural objects like large fir cones, logs and coconut shells for animals to hide in. I have a fairy garden hidden under another bush which I keep adding to. We have a weather station with measuring jug to catch rain and things that blow in the wind. There is a digging area near the play house and we also plant things in pots ( because the plants in the digging area get buried !!) we also use a builders tray a lot to make up small world scenes or to contain messy play- this slots in nicely behind the play house when not in use. I have tied ribbons to some metal gates so the children can weave them, though to be honest they usually use them to tie the gates together so I can't open them

3. Likes FloraDora, Tulip, Maza, lollipop kid, primula liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My garden is also my hobby, so no plastic anywhere as I like to relax in it.
    I have: outdoor kitchen ,made by DH doubles up as a prep area when we barbecue, no mud just leaves, acorns, stones petals and lots of water, weather permitting, best activity for current LO's - chopping anything to make stone soup.

Fairy garden, Dinosaur land- made by ch in black garden trays, plants and stones mainly. Sit well in borders sometimes on stands.

Flowerpot farm: a tiered corner all pots planted by children and tended veg and flowers, we grow endless lettuce for LO's rabbits at home.

Veg beds - ch help but they have a bed for digging aswell that isn't obviously seen.

Bug habitats - big hotel and 8 small ones around garden. Log piles, bucket pond ( fenced off) .

Bird table and feeding stations and water bath
    Hedgehog and toad homes.
    I have various loose natural collections for open ended play, logs, stumps and planks for play/ motor skills/ ramps.
    Trellis doubles up as a stand for guttering ( kept behing shed), secret path behind greenhouse has mirrors ( can't be seen , LO's love isolation of it but you can see them over the water butt!
    Sensory garden for smelling and touching.
    Various wind chimes/ musical instruments
    Different surfaces to walk on, patio paving, slate, shingle, grass etc...
    I purchased a small greenhouse , plastic cover for the children's seeds and plants last year which has been useful to store resources for independent choice during the winter: balls, ropes, wind ribbons, floating and sinking items, bubbles, bottles for squirting and various painting tools ( water painting), window washing equipt, brushes ( they love tidying the garden ) planting ( we plant all year round- mainly salad in winter) , can you find ? pictures. I have a small scale orienteering course with wood and nails so equipt for that is accessible. Den making box. Wind ribbon frames , old picture frames without back or glass to make outdoor pictures with loose materials.
    We have just started to look for small animals that live in the borders as a find game. We draw on large stones to play/ distribute/ look for : letters, numbers, feeling faces, children pics
    I have a take down sand and water tray - this is plastic, but lives in the shed.
    We have a water feature for use under supervision only
    I live next door to a nature reserve , big field and playground is there so don't feel I need any climbing type activities except planks and crates. We have trikes and scooter but actually go out on these on a ride, rarely in garden.

Children love benches and seats and secret ( very small) areas made by planting, or pots.

Basically most of my ideas are from forest school or the cosy catalogue ( not to buy just to get ideas)

Works for me..when not childminding my garden doesn't look like Children play in it....yet we play in it all year round - exploring and discovery for awe and wonder mainly.

5. Likes ginag, Tulip, lollipop kid, primula liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Would love to see a photo, sounds amazing all the natural things, I'm looking to do similar in mine this year but don't have much imagination for it and don't really know where to start!

7. Likes primula liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Your garden sounds brilliant floradora.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Your garden sounds brilliant floradora.
    It isn't anything amazing to look at, Childminding wise, as all things mentioned, except outdoor kitchen is sort of hidden. That's the idea - it looks like a normal garden with borders and tubs and vegetable beds at the weekend!