Childcare register
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childcare register

Hi, newbie here. Well, not to childminding but to this forum. I am hoping that someone can shed light on a query I have.
    I have been minding for 12 years, am a support childminder and have been a member of the local childminding network for the last 10 years. I look after 3 under 5s and also have before and after school children. Most of whom I have had since babies. The oldest 2 are 9 yrs old. I have been told by another minder that I now need to have nvq2 in childcare which I don't actually have. I have read the criterior and this seems to be the case if you are on the voluntary part of the register. I am a little confused as I cannot understand why this is needed for school children and not little ones. All my training is up to date and I always take advantage of courses available, however I have not completed this one. Could anyone please advise? Do I need to come off the voluntarypart of the register or will I have to take the training? It seems quite a lot to do for two 2 hour sessions per week. I hate to sound negative, it's just that we take part in so much trainging which seems very relevant for the children in our care and this seems a little excessive for such short care periods. Any comments appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lob View Post
    Hi, newbie here. Well, not to childminding but to this forum. I am hoping that someone can shed light on a query I have.
    I have been minding for 12 years, am a support childminder and have been a member of the local childminding network for the last 10 years. I look after 3 under 5s and also have before and after school children. Most of whom I have had since babies. The oldest 2 are 9 yrs old. I have been told by another minder that I now need to have nvq2 in childcare which I don't actually have. I have read the criterior and this seems to be the case if you are on the voluntary part of the register. I am a little confused as I cannot understand why this is needed for school children and not little ones. All my training is up to date and I always take advantage of courses available, however I have not completed this one. Could anyone please advise? Do I need to come off the voluntarypart of the register or will I have to take the training? It seems quite a lot to do for two 2 hour sessions per week. I hate to sound negative, it's just that we take part in so much trainging which seems very relevant for the children in our care and this seems a little excessive for such short care periods. Any comments appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    all the requirements for the Childcare Register are here

Ofsted | Guide to registration on the Childcare Register

The other cm has been giving you the wrong information regarding Cms qualifications...give her the link so she can update herself

You say you are a Support cm and you are in a network...the networks do not really exist anymore but as support cm you would have someone in your LA to support and guide you

You are up to date on training but you don't require qualifications...CMs are the only providers in the sector not required to have any...totally up to you if you want to get them

Good luck

3. Likes Lob liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All childminders caring for older children - on the voluntary part of the Childcare Register - have to be EITHER level 2 qualified OR have qualifications in the common core.

The common core = the cypop 5 the course you did when you first registered as a childminder.

You wouldn't be childminding if you weren't qualified because Ofsted wouldn't have registered you

5. Likes loocyloo, angeldelight, Lob liked this post
    Simona Guest

Thank you for the clarification Sarah...
    CYPOP 5 is not a qualification...it is a course all cms need to attend prior to getting registration
    It is a requirement of registration ...Level 2 is a separate course altogether

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Thank you for the clarification Sarah...
    CYPOP 5 is not a qualification...it is a course all cms need to attend prior to getting registration
    It is a requirement of registration ...Level 2 is a separate course altogether
    Sorry to disagree but cypop 5 is a qualification as i have a certificate stating that ;-)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Sorry to disagree but cypop 5 is a qualification as i have a certificate stating that ;-)
    My understand is that CYPOP5 is a pre registration course for cms to get ready to run a home based childcare business...the Units can then be carried forward to the next qualification?
    Has this changed?

Home Study Child Care Courses For Childminders - CYPOP5

May 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear all, thanks for that. I was beginning to think I was going mad in thinking I was right.
    Our local network like all others has ceased but locally we do still meet up and so I suppose habit makes me refer to it as the network. I am not averse to training at all, and enjoy keeping up to date and improving my practice, however, feel that after 12 years of childminding there are courses that would gain from so much more.
    Anyway, thanks for your help all x

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lob View Post
    Dear all, thanks for that. I was beginning to think I was going mad in thinking I was right.
    Our local network like all others has ceased but locally we do still meet up and so I suppose habit makes me refer to it as the network. I am not averse to training at all, and enjoy keeping up to date and improving my practice, however, feel that after 12 years of childminding there are courses that would gain from so much more.
    Anyway, thanks for your help all x
    Then its still a network of childminders meeting up

Ours got kept going too and yes we call it a network too
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door