Learning journeys for reception age children??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning journeys for reception age children??

Hi, i have 2 new children starting in sept both will be in reception so i will do before and after school and holiday care. Does anyone know what i will be required to do in terms of learning journeys , thanks

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the Welfare Requirements in EYFS it will tell you.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kats View Post
    Hi, i have 2 new children starting in sept both will be in reception so i will do before and after school and holiday care. Does anyone know what i will be required to do in terms of learning journeys , thanks
    Look at EYFS 2014 in particular page 24 section 3.40 ...that section is very clear on what you are required to do
    Good luck

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had already read the document but can't find anywhere that says what is required once the child starts school in terms of learning journeys and assessment, thank you anyway

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 reception age children:
    one I only collect from his home and drop at school: then collect from school and drop at his home. I keep texts and a record of any conversations with Mum, if the situation occurred I would keep records of incidents accidents etc, but I don't do anything I wouldn't do naturally in the course of our journeys: chat about his day, his feelings, things we notice on the way, manage behaviour etc. he gets a sticker and heaps of praise for listening, behaving sensibly and walking with safety in mind on the way ...

The other I have for 10 hours a week after school. I have an achievement chart for him with where I write all the awesome stuff he does here, that the teacher mentions at handover and that he tells me about. He doesn't mind being photographed so I get little pics of him playing and stick them in a scrap book with phrases and comments and his quotes. He can add comments and stick his creations in too, or pics of them . He has had a slight speech delay, though its hardly noticeable, but as Mum mentioned it I do bear it in mind when children are choosing games to encourage anything where communication is needed, without putting pressure on though, obviously - just to be a support and boost his confidence in general .

They are both in the eyfs until 31st august next year, but I largely consider school to be covering the 'educational' stuff and myself to be 'support', so I ask the teachers how days have gone and ensure the children are able to relax and have their needs met until I hand over to parents.

Hope this helps

7. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kats View Post
    I had already read the document but can't find anywhere that says what is required once the child starts school in terms of learning journeys and assessment, thank you anyway
    The EYFS 2014 states clearly you do not have to follow the Learning and Development...so no LJs

It also leaves it up to you and the parents to decide what you should share with the school ...maybe you could do reading and any homework they may get but nothing that an inspector will want to see at inspection

You could do a photo album so the parents can see what the children have in terms of opportunities in your setting but the additional requirements have been removed....not that they were there before but it was done to pacify the Holidays schemes who could not understand the previous EYFS in the first place