Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rising five

Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rising five

I will be minding a reception class child (age 5) from when I'm registered, hopefully the beginning of May as my registration inspection is 24th April I will have him or 2-3 days a week before school (arriving just before the school run) until his mum collects him about an hour after we get home from the school run. What do I need to do with him to meet the requirements of the EYFS please? My understanding from my LA is that we don't have to do anything after September. Is this correct? Many Thanks x

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, the updated EYFS Statutory Requirements (2014) states

'Where the provision is solely before/after school care or holiday provision for children who normally attend Reception class (or older) during the school day, there must be sufficient staff as for a class of 30 children. It is for providers to determine how many staff are needed to ensure the safety and welfare of children, bearing in mind the type(s) of activity and the age and needs of the children. It is also for providers to determine what qualifications, if any, the manager and/or staff should have. Providers do not need to meet the learning and development requirements in Section 1. However, practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners/providers as appropriate, including school staff/teachers) the support they intend to offer'

So, don't think you need to do anything

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The EYFS 2012 is still current so we should follow this until September:

1.3 Wrap around and holiday providers should be guided by, but do not necessarily need to meet, all the learning and development requirements. Practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners and providers as appropriate) the support they intend to offer, seeking to complement learning in settings in which children spend more time.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRabbits View Post
    Hi there, the updated EYFS Statutory Requirements (2014) states

'Where the provision is solely before/after school care or holiday provision for children who normally attend Reception class (or older) during the school day, there must be sufficient staff as for a class of 30 children. It is for providers to determine how many staff are needed to ensure the safety and welfare of children, bearing in mind the type(s) of activity and the age and needs of the children. It is also for providers to determine what qualifications, if any, the manager and/or staff should have. Providers do not need to meet the learning and development requirements in Section 1. However, practitioners should discuss with parents and/or carers (and other practitioners/providers as appropriate, including school staff/teachers) the support they intend to offer'

So, don't think you need to do anything
    Mmm its the first bit that is concerning. Does it count to a cm? Or is it aimed at after school clubs.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was getting a bit confused too. It does say this:

1.1. This section defines what providers must do, working in partnership with parents and/or carers, to promote the learning and development of all children in their care, and to ensure they are ready for school. The learning and development requirements are informed by the best available evidence on how children learn and reflect the broad range of skills, knowledge and attitudes children need as foundations for good future progress. Early years providers must guide the development of children’s capabilities with a view to ensuring that children in their care complete the EYFS ready to benefit fully from the opportunities ahead of them.

There is a footnote for 'providers' which says:

Excluding providers offering care exclusively before and after school or during the school holidays for children who normally attend Reception (or older) class during the school day – see para 3.40

So it sounds like come September we won't be required to do anything with before/after school children

Simona Guest

The EYFS 2012 is still current and the 2014 cannot be implemented until Sept 2014

A child who is in full time school can only be put under wraparound care/holiday care ...
    the rising 5 is confusing but it does not change what we have to do as cms...what has changed is the ratio/qualifications requirements for those who do wraparound care and the removal of the requirement to follow the Learning and Development for wraparound care/holidays

Looks like the EYFS 2014 will cause much confusion but we have time to get it all clarified in the next few months.

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. In practice, what does this mean I need to do or don't need to do for my reception child for the remainder of this school year? Does he need a Learning Journey etc?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a reception age child starting this week and have decided to have a chat with parents and teacher where I can complement learning, I'm thinking assisting with his reading, tricky words etc. I am setting up a LJ for him and will add things when he joins in activities etc. I'm new to this and I'd rather do too much than not enough :-)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    Thank you all. In practice, what does this mean I need to do or don't need to do for my reception child for the remainder of this school year? Does he need a Learning Journey etc?
    There is no need to do a LJ for a child in Reception and if you look at EYFS 2014 from Sept it is clearly stated
    you could do a folder with photos to share with the parents so they know what he is enjoying.
    The other step is to engage with the teacher ....some are excellent some not quite so at communicating with cms ...she could suggest things to do with his reading or any other area of learning...

whatever you do try to show at inspection that you are engaging with parents and schools alike.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona that's helpful to me too, I ll still do a folder but less formal :-)

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, so I don't need starting points, trackers etc? What about All About Me forms? I know his teacher and she's great so I'll talk to her. I was thinking of making sure I got their topic sheets so I can compliment what he's doing at school, adding entries to his Marvellous Me book which us what they use as a show and tell tool at the school, making thank you cards for teachers at the end of year etc. Does that sound ok? I'll file it all together and call it .... something!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    Thank you, so I don't need starting points, trackers etc? What about All About Me forms? I know his teacher and she's great so I'll talk to her. I was thinking of making sure I got their topic sheets so I can compliment what he's doing at school, adding entries to his Marvellous Me book which us what they use as a show and tell tool at the school, making thank you cards for teachers at the end of year etc. Does that sound ok? I'll file it all together and call it .... something!
    If you have an engaging teachers all the better especially if the parents want you to share with her....and yes you can 'compliment' the learning at school and reinforce it in your setting...see page 4 of EYFS 2012 for current practice

EYFS 2014 from September tells you what to do on page 24 (3.40) towards the end of the paragraph
    Good luck

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Mmm its the first bit that is concerning. Does it count to a cm? Or is it aimed at after school clubs.
    I completely agree Tina it is not clear from Sept what our requirements will be because the wording does not specify childminders or give an example based on our hours with children ... it only refers to 30 in a class.

They seem to have forgotten us in their rush to get schools providing after school care

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I completely agree Tina it is not clear from Sept what our requirements will be because the wording does not specify childminders or give an example based on our hours with children ... it only refers to 30 in a class.

They seem to have forgotten us in their rush to get schools providing after school care
    In my view that refers to anyone who wants to do wraparound care and which Truss addressed in her recent speech about cms and parents...and the new ratio of 1:30

I don't think it is 'unclear' at all....but like anything else in the EYFS open to individual interpretations and different views...the saga goes on.
    Last edited by Simona; 21-04-2014 at 08:22 AM.