Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I totally understood variations until now- I also didn't realise it was only temporary changes that were ok- so if a current parent wants a random ad hoc day and you don't go over 6 under 8s you can have have 4 under full time school age. But not if that parent wants to add an additional day as a permanent thing? So glad I saw this now as I'm in that exact situation- I've said yes a few times for an extra random day but mum wants it to be permanent. So basically I can do it if she asks each week but not as a change of hours?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I also didn't realise it was only temporary changes that were ok- so if a current parent wants a random ad hoc day and you don't go over 6 under 8s you can have have 4 under full time school age. But not if that parent wants to add an additional day as a permanent thing?
    So basically I can do it if she asks each week but not as a change of hours?
    So if a parent asks once a week for an extra day that week, that's ok, but not if they asks for a permanent change? That doesn't even make sense! (Ofsted, not OP)

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had 4 on a permanent ( until one child leaves/moves day ) variation before, both from when Ofsted granted variations, and also when I have RA and given myself a variation. I am sure I will have them again in the future! none of my parents seem capable of sticking to original contracted days!

Simona Guest

I can see from reading this thread that 'variations' continue to be a topic of discussion and utter confusion for cms

The EYFS is written by the DfE ...Ofsted in its role of regulator and inspector....should ensure that their inspectors 'interpret' the EYFS in the way it has been written not according to individual inspectors' interpretations and punishing cms by downgrading them if they feel the cms has done the wrong self variation

Cms own interpretation conflict at times...I think the time has come to raise this issue with the appropriate Dept because 2 years on from EYFS 2012 some people are very unclear...I cannot envisage this topic going away when EYFS 2014 is implemented in Sept...can anyone?

May I suggest those who attend Ofsted Big Conversation raise this question as I did at the recent London meeting?
    Ofsted rightly responded by saying it is the DfE we need to approach not Ofsted...although the training of their inspectors is Ofsted's duty and we know that this is very much in question at the moment

If anyone feels strongly they can write to Nick Hudson who has CMs in his Ofsted National Director's remit or give the DfE a call...or even better write to Truss whose promise to address the overlap for Cms has evaporated.

As a last resort cms could attend their local OBC meeting...these are now ongoing and the second wave is under way...send an email to the chair of your OBC area and ask for the issue to be addressed at the meeting

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bakez66 View Post
    Ok so I've just read the new framework and it says you can only have a variation in place if you have your own baby or for your current minded children's siblings. It doesn't say anything about variations for parents working extra hours etc so am I right to think I have to turn parents away by September who have changed their hours (which currently takes me upto 4 under 5s) or have I miss interpreted this?
    No changes - the variations section of the Eyfs 2014 is exactly the same as the one in the Eyfs 2012 we are working with now.

It says the same about continuity of care in exceptional circumstances as well - and the Ofsted factsheet 'number and ages of children' is still valid until we are told otherwise

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123