Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I have written about the main changes here

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...uirements.html

Yes I agree Simona it's a missed opportunity to clarify the ratios ... and they have confused a couple of other bits that would have been best left *(imo) ... and removed some bits that were useful ... and changed bits for no apparent reason

Ho hum they do seem to like to tinker at the edges don't they?
    I think they decided to revise and did it very quickly ...considering agencies are still a very grey area at the mo...no interest in consulting with us.....and messed up a lot of the things by removing the necessary and adding a bit more of 'edu speak' so all fits around schools
    Whatever happened to the LJs? I did expect them to be mentioned but as assessment for 2 and 4 year olds is to be introduced they had second thoughts maybe....and overlap for cms which I agreed with Truss had to be revised? she starts something and never finishes the task.

Why remove the need to provide areas for rest and quiet times? unless children are going to sleep strapped to their chairs
    ...as for the ratio for cms...well that's another story

EYFS 2014 is totally unrecognisable from the EYFS 2008...such a shame when many around the world considered a fantastic framework...I do miss it but won't throw it away!!...having a strop really

2. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    If anyone was hoping for a clearer understanding of CMs variations there are none...no continuity of care or new business mentioned or clarified all it has is one added line in the first paragraph on page 24...so many questions will continue. Wasted opportunity really.
    So at the moment we can do continuity of care but from September we can't? I am confused

4. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by someonepops View Post
    So at the moment we can do continuity of care but from September we can't? I am confused
    Nothing has changed about the self variations for CMs...just one small line added on page 24 about 'a child is a young child until 1st Sept following his/her 5th birthday'

EYFS 2014 has CMs on page 24-25...previous one was page 21

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What we were hoping for was some further clarification... we haven't got it!!

Still the same rules - still the same wording - still the same confusion

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The words I want to write will not be allowed to be printed .............
    I only told a parent today that I could take her son as continuity for extra hours she wants which means having 4 eyfs for 5 hours on 1 day , confused.com, any suggestions?!

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same boat, I have a 10 month old full time, two 20 month olds and a 17 month old who comes between the hours of one of the 20 month olds, the 17 month olds mum wants to up her hours from 7 to at the most 25 hours a week so I will be over my number 3 days a week for about 3/4 hours but can I do this? Under continuity of care I can but isn't that just for extreme circumstances? Or is it circumstances as above! It's so unfair to parents and us!

Simona Guest

I am in the same boat, I have a 10 month old full time, two 20 month olds and a 17 month old who comes between the hours of one of the 20 month olds, the 17 month olds mum wants to up her hours from 7 to at the most 25 hours a week so I will be over my number 3 days a week for about 3/4 hours but can I do this? Under continuity of care I can but isn't that just for extreme circumstances? Or is it circumstances as above! It's so unfair to parents and us!
    Looks to me like an 'overlap' issue there for just 3/4 hours? did I get it right?

It is such a shame it could not have been sorted by a simpler plain English...but I am willing to put it at the London Ofsted Big Conversation

My point here is that agencies will very possibly guide their CMs in getting variations right as they are the ones inspecting their CMs...if they advise incorrectly the agency gets the blame not the CM?.....
    so ICMs are at a bit of a disadvantaged ...in my view...when left to interpret ourselves and getting punished by a downgrade

We can only but hope someone will listen.....after all the EYFS 2014 has a few months to get implemented and a small change or 'amendement' could be made...wishful thinking I know but worth a try.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We can only but hope someone will listen.....after all the EYFS 2014 has a few months to get implemented and a small change or 'amendement' could be made...wishful thinking I know but worth a try.
    Ha ha, that is why I am not printing it out yet!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My cm friend has been inspected this week and downgraded to inadequate for having 4 EYs children under continuity of care for 2 hours one day a week. She does it because an existing parent needed to increase her work hours (just like the example on the Ofsted fact sheet!). The inspector told her there is no such thing as continuity of care and there are no circumstances in which you can have 4 EYs children. She even said that a 4 year old child who attends full time school won't be able to attend in the easter hols as she counts as an EYs child and the cm can't have 4 EYs children!
    To make matters worse, the inspector had to phone the office while she was there as she didn't understand how it worked!

I think I will get the same inspector soon, so I have all my evidence printed out ready!!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    My cm friend has been inspected this week and downgraded to inadequate for having 4 EYs children under continuity of care for 2 hours one day a week. She does it because an existing parent needed to increase her work hours (just like the example on the Ofsted fact sheet!). The inspector told her there is no such thing as continuity of care and there are no circumstances in which you can have 4 EYs children. She even said that a 4 year old child who attends full time school won't be able to attend in the easter hols as she counts as an EYs child and the cm can't have 4 EYs children!
    To make matters worse, the inspector had to phone the office while she was there as she didn't understand how it worked!

I think I will get the same inspector soon, so I have all my evidence printed out ready!!
    From what we are hearing she is not the only one. Seems like the exception for existing parents changing hours is not being looked favourably on. Also that a variation shouldn't be for long term :-(

However this is the framework we have to work with again Can we really hope that ofsted will take our concerns on board and ask the DFE to revise the eyfs again. Shame they started tinkering with the 2008 version.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

That is a rather worrying statement by an inspector...'there is no such thing as continuity of care ...no circumstances we can have 4 in the EYFS'...sad no one reported this inspector for individual judgement and inability to follow the EYFS...what was all the training about I wonder?

Not sure where this has come from but I hear lots of rumours at the moment that Ofsted will take all inspector back 'in house' soon...if it happens to be true not a minute too soon for all of us!!

I wonder if anyone has spotted this on page 4 of EYFS 2014:
    Expiry or review date
    This statutory framework remains in force until further notice

how long will that be?
    Can Ofsted take our concerns onboard?...so far they have taken a few...thanks to OBC and their agenda is growing...keep updated
    Last edited by Simona; 02-04-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a rather worrying statement by an inspector...'there is no such thing as continuity of care ...no circumstances we can have 4 in the EYFS'...sad no one reported this inspector for individual judgement and inability to follow the EYFS...what was all the training about I wonder?
    The cm has lodged an appeal and it's being looked into. The person who is dealing with it says it sounds as if it should come under continuity of care, but willl have to look into the written report. I'm sure they'll try to find some way of backing the inspector

Simona Guest

The cm has lodged an appeal and it's being looked into. The person who is dealing with it says it sounds as if it should come under continuity of care, but willl have to look into the written report. I'm sure they'll try to find some way of backing the inspector
    Good on that CM for challenging and appealing....let us know how it goes

18. Likes Mouse, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

scary.

I have 7 EY children over a week. one LO started off coming one day, then needed a different day ( which took me to 4 under 5 ). another LO has left, so I moved 1st LO to that day ... taking me to 3 under 5 each day ... and ANOTHER mum has now asked if she can add that day on, as needs to work an extra day! so back to 4 under 5!

I did have a LO who started, and within a week of mum being back at work, was 'asked' ( read TOLD ) to swap her days around, which meant that I had a 'continuity of care' for a LO who had only done a couple of settling sessions during the preceeding month and then a couple of days with me as there was no one else to have child or mum lost job!

Simona Guest

Deviating slightly from variations...who will stop giving children time to rest and sleep?
    EYFS 2014 is not prescriptive on this

Nurseries 'no longer told to give infants a daytime nap' - Telegraph

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is an overlap, but do I say to the parent I can do it or let her go even though she has been with me since she was 8 months!?

Post Thanks / Like

Good on that CM for challenging and appealing....let us know how it goes
    Hi yes I think she definitely needs to appeal, you are allowed over 3 eyfs children for special circumstances and continuity of care should fall under this. As long as you risk assess, do a space plan and say how you can care for 4 at the same time, there should be no problem.

Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I've just read the new framework and it says you can only have a variation in place if you have your own baby or for your current minded children's siblings. It doesn't say anything about variations for parents working extra hours etc so am I right to think I have to turn parents away by September who have changed their hours (which currently takes me upto 4 under 5s) or have I miss interpreted this?
    Last edited by Bakez66; 23-04-2014 at 09:41 PM.

24. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted document:
    'childminder cares for three children in the early years age group. The parent of one of the children, a two-year-old who is with the childminder from 8am until 2pm, asks if she can extend the hours until 6pm. Her work pattern has changed and she must work full time for the next three months. This would mean that for three days a week the childminder would have four children under the age of five, as she currently looks after a three-year-old for three days between 3pm and 5pm. The parents of both children are keen to maintain continuity of care for their children who are very settled with the childminder. The childminder realises that she needs extra equipment and must change her daily routine so that most of her outings take place when she does not have four children. She borrows extra resources from the childminder resource centre.
    18. We would judge at inspection whether the arrangements meet the needs of the children ad they are likely to do so'

It does however say for 3 months, not a permanent change...

Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRabbits View Post
    Ofsted document: 'childminder cares for three children in the early years age group. The parent of one of the children, a two-year-old who is with the childminder from 8am until 2pm, asks if she can extend the hours until 6pm. Her work pattern has changed and she must work full time for the next three months. This would mean that for three days a week the childminder would have four children under the age of five, as she currently looks after a three-year-old for three days between 3pm and 5pm. The parents of both children are keen to maintain continuity of care for their children who are very settled with the childminder. The childminder realises that she needs extra equipment and must change her daily routine so that most of her outings take place when she does not have four children. She borrows extra resources from the childminder resource centre. 18. We would judge at inspection whether the arrangements meet the needs of the children ad they are likely to do so' It does however say for 3 months, not a permanent change...
    Oh ok thankyou, I couldn't see this on the 2014 framework I read. When parents increase there hours (from my experience) it's not normally temporary so basically I need to say no If a parent wants to increase hours permanently and requires an extra day or employ an assistant to keep them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast