Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Childcare ratios/variations

Hi,
    I'm really stuck! I currently have 3 minded children and a parent wants a space for 3 days a week but it will take me upto 4 children 1 day a week, however my partner is at home to care For my son which would mean that I have 3 minded children that day and my partner comes with us if my son wants to come out with us. One child is term time only so I would be ok in the holidays. This only affects one day a week during term time. Ofsted actually said when I called that this is fine however I can't find anyone who is in this position to double check this with.
    Advice/opinions/personal experiences would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks

Lynda

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

if your partner is registered as your assistant then yes this would be ok.

When you are registered your children automatically count in your numbers. So regardless of if their dad/grandparents are caring for them they are always counted in your care.

you should only increase your numbers if its for exceptional circumstances. A sibling baby or an existing mum needing extra hours.

If an inspector deemed you were over minding then you would immediately be downgraded to inadequate.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If your partner is not registered as your assistant then the information that you have from Ofsted does not agree with the EYFS. If you are taking their direction, please ask for it in writing.
    Debbie

5. Likes moggy liked this post
    Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

No he's not registered as an assistant as he does not care for the minded children which is why I called Ofsted, the man I spoke from Ofsted said to put what I told him in an email to Ofsted, the reply I got referred me bk to the Eyfs. The only way around it is not to have the child on the Monday and do it at a later date :-/. What would you do?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do not take on a new child and have 4 under 5s - you will be downgraded at inspection for not following the rules in the Eyfs.

You can do it with an assistant - but not on your own x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bakez66 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm really stuck! I currently have 3 minded children and a parent wants a space for 3 days a week but it will take me upto 4 children 1 day a week, however my partner is at home to care For my son which would mean that I have 3 minded children that day and my partner comes with us if my son wants to come out with us. One child is term time only so I would be ok in the holidays. This only affects one day a week during term time. Ofsted actually said when I called that this is fine however I can't find anyone who is in this position to double check this with.
    Advice/opinions/personal experiences would be much appreciated :-)

Thanks

Lynda
    Sounds to me like Ofsted needs to read the EYFS...usually they do not give advice but refer you to EYFS for interpretation...on this occasion I feel they are wrong saying it 'would be ok' because Mrs O would not like that...not one little bit!
    As said below it is new business not continuity...I pray the day will come when this variations business is written in black and white!

Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Sounds to me like Ofsted needs to read the EYFS...usually they do not give advice but refer you to EYFS for interpretation...on this occasion I feel they are wrong saying it 'would be ok' because Mrs O would not like that...not one little bit! As said below it is new business not continuity...I pray the day will come when this variations business is written in black and white!
    I was surprised myself that he said I could . Thinking about filing a complaint! After I spoke to him I told the parent that I could do the Monday as it had been ok'd by Ofsted. Now I'm stuck! Could I not take him on the days I have available then later on increase to another day so that it's continuity of care? This parent has cancelled her place she had for her son at nursery because she wanted him to come to me. Oh what to do :-z

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

All you have to do is ring ofsted and register your partner. You can increase numbers straight away as long as children are not left alone with partner. You will have jk pay for a new DBS for your partner as he will not just be a household member anymore. This way you can take new child. This is what ofsted told me and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be along soon .