what has replaced Development Matters in the EYFS?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile what has replaced Development Matters in the EYFS?

I have the development matters book, but when I had my registration visit in December the ofsted lady said we dont use this anymore, but didnt tell me what we now use! Could someone let me know so I can get a copy? Done have any children yet but having lots of enquiries.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The early years outcomes you can find it online and print off really easily.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

It hasn't replaced DM it's a doc u can use alongside DM (as far as I know)x
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Development Matters hasn't been replaced.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just saved a copy of Early Years Outcomes - I know where to find it if I need to but prefer to use Development Matters still, EYO is just the first column of Development Matters (Unique Child) with one or two word changes - not worth reprinting costs IMO.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I panicked when I read the title! Phewwwww!

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

Both DM and EYO are NON STATUTORY guidance and both can be used to plan and check progress
    Ofsted do use EYO in their inspection but cms can still be guided by DM

I would recommend having both...the forum has advised on EYO but it is not the only document that can be used and the whole sector agrees on this

If you look on the Foundation Years website both are there not just EYO
    That I am aware of cms are being recommended they print the EYO as well...my LA did.....best to have it on inspection than risk a telling off.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted have informed us that they are inspecting us using Early Years Outcomes.

There are a few different versions of it here -

Early Years Outcomes - Knutsford Childminding

Development Matters is still useful for finding out about the learning characteristics and enhancing relationships and environments.

Simona Guest

I think that is what I did say...Ofsted use EYO at inspections because their emphasis is now on outcomes but there is nothing stopping cms using DM when planning and then looking at EYO to check the children are achieving the outcomes

I am unsure what Ofsted have said as I have not seen any statement here ....but I feel they have said the same to the whole sector...it is only here that I see confusing advice not anywhere else. and anyone I speak to say they are using both.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted said -

'Inspectors should be aware that Development Matters has been replaced by Early Years Outcomes. This is a non-statutory guide to help inform understanding of child development through the early years.'

Here - Ofsted | Early years: November 2013 - page 4.

We are simply repeating that message

13. Likes Sheridan72 liked this post
    Simona Guest

I am aware of that document and the 'inspectors must be aware EYO has replaced DM' paragraph....at inspection that is what they have to use
    It does not say we cannot plan using DM? both are still available so both can be used...my view entirely of course

I feel it is a question of interpretation and that is how I would use it...but I am speaking for myself as cms must do what is best for them and answer about their method at inspection.

I have just booked myself on a training course next Monday where this will be covered so I will take it from there

Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, going to order a copy, prefer that than printing myself.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan72 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, going to order a copy, prefer that than printing myself.
    I doubt you will be able to order a copy...everything the DfE produces is to be printed at your own expense I am afraid but let us know if you can order one!

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my inspection yesterday and my inspector asked too see my copy of the EYO I told her I do have a copy and use it but I prefer to use the development matters document to which she said so do I! She told me that as long as i had a copy of the EYO and I knew that changes had been made then it didn't matter which document I used on a day to day basis.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LittleVoice View Post
    I had my inspection yesterday and my inspector asked too see my copy of the EYO I told her I do have a copy and use it but I prefer to use the development matters document to which she said so do I! She told me that as long as i had a copy of the EYO and I knew that changes had been made then it didn't matter which document I used on a day to day basis.
    That is fantastic news!!!
    We have been discussing DM and EYO elsewhere in the forum and I feel we all know we need to have a copy of both and use whichever one we feel is more effective in helping us to plan for our children best outcomes.

I am sure that by now most cms will ensure they print their EYO but do not feel they have to use it if they prefer DM ....thank you for sharing and I hope your inspection went well!

may 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly the early years outcome documents does not focus at all on characteristics of effective learning! i think it would be unwise to solely use this document, since we are meant to e demonstrating how children learn and planning appropriately. like wise anyone who likes to use development matters as a highlighting and tick list should also exercise caution.