Learning journal necessary or not
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning journal necessary or not

Hello everyone!

I have started childminding in September and have got one child of four year old who comes only 3 times per week, in the morning from 7 am until 9( the child arrives between 7 and 7.20 am and we leave the house to go to school around 8.25 am).
    She usually have breakfast for at least 30 minutes- very slow... And then she brushes teeth and gets ready for school.
    We don't have time to do any of the playing and exploring, only maybe a bit of chatting during breakfast if she is not too sleepy.
    So, my question is if I still do her a learning journal, and how many observations per week?do I still have to have risk assessments in place and an attendance register?
    Thank you in advance for your answers xx

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a reception age child here just 3 mornings a week for an hour when I was last inspected and didn't do a learning journal for him, the inspector didn't even mention it. I don't think risk assessments have to be written now, but I feel better for having done them, and all children attending go in the attendance book, regardless of how long or short a time they're here for.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No need for a learning journal, as she goes to school.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

As they are at school I wouldn't do one either

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dianab View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have started childminding in September and have got one child of four year old who comes only 3 times per week, in the morning from 7 am until 9( the child arrives between 7 and 7.20 am and we leave the house to go to school around 8.25 am).
    She usually have breakfast for at least 30 minutes- very slow... And then she brushes teeth and gets ready for school.
    We don't have time to do any of the playing and exploring, only maybe a bit of chatting during breakfast if she is not too sleepy.
    So, my question is if I still do her a learning journal, and how many observations per week?do I still have to have risk assessments in place and an attendance register?
    Thank you in advance for your answers xx
    As others have said no LJ required because the child is in school but you do need to RA and include her in this...her age is no reason for not doing so...and yes she must be ticked off as attending your setting because you are registered to care for her (see EYFS p 25)

The EYFS will explain more of what details you need to record for any child in your care...see page 26

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to interrupt this thread with my own question but I'm just wondering about something you said about risk assessments etc. I've got a 5 year old schoolie 3 days a week too so don't do a LJ just a scrap book but when you mention RA's, I've got my general ones in place for house, car, garden, outings etc which are kept in my portfolio but do I need to be keeping different ones for the schoolers? I'm confused now!

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

not different ones other than how you get to school and back, you will already have lost/missing child policy which should cover schoolies in the playground xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes got those. Thanks!