Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Continuity of care clarifacation

Hi

I know questions on ratios get asked a lot but I really don't want to be getting it wrong, and better to be safe than sorry. Can someone please confirm I am correct in thinking the following

On Thursday and Friday I have my own 18m old and pick up a 3yr old from nursery from 3pm - 5pm.

I have a parent wanting care from 8am - 6pm for a 2 and 4yr old on these days.

I am correct in thinking the ways round this are:

- Look after one sibling then add the other at a later stage to class as continuity of care

- Look after both until 2.30pm then at a later stage the mum tells me her hours have an increased so again it's continuity of care?

If these are correct how much is a reasonable amount of time before I can do this? A month? Obviously it doesn't state a time frame within the EYFS and I would hate to go over my numbers as I'm just starting out.

The 3yr old is only just turned 3 so can't wait until he is 4 as I understand if it's just wrap round care then 4 - 5yr olds are not classed in your young children (I think).

I'm aware I need to risk assess, let parents know etc with regards to being over numbers.

Thank you in advance.
    Clare

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

These suggestions are basically 'cheating' the rules, I suspect all would be frowned upon should Ofsted investigate in future.

But it is up to you, it is a very grey area!

The adding a sibling is a bit dodgy as the EYFS talks about 'baby' siblings, and this is a 2 year old sibling. It is so clearly 'new business' you would have to be very clear in your own mind about what you are doing as could be pulled apart if Ofsted start digging for background info.

Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Molly,

Thank you for your response. I agree with what you say as it does seem like "cheating". To be honest I have offered a sibling discount on this and then regretted it after reading threads on here with experienced CMs mostly saying they don't do it so this gives me good grounds to say I can't accommodate this parent unfortunately.

Thanks

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What you are suggesting is a little risky but completely in line with the regulations. Could you take one on or get an assistant for 2 days from 3-6pm
    Debbie

5. Likes Goatgirl liked this post
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hadn't really considered an assistant. Mainly because it all sounds a little complicated in terms of paying them (haven't got my head round doing my own accounts yet!) and worry if it would be financially viable. But thank you i will look into this as I don't drive so help for an hour or so in the afternoon would mean I don't have to walk so many up to school for the school run.

Thanks
    Clare

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell the parent you only have vacancies on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday.

I once took on an EY child after nursery but it was only for a term as child then went on to full time education, thus going to my 5-8y bracket.