Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you 'zoned' your play area?

I don't find I have enough corners in the room to have a 'role play corner' 'construction corner' 'writing corner' 'small world corner' although I have toys and resources to cover all the areas. My mindees are all under 2 so at the end of the day the toys and resources are everywhere anyway! Will ofsted be looking for such zoning?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem - it may be possible to zone in a nursery as they can use furniture as dividers but in a home it is much harder - I try to limit the amount of toy boxes I have out at a time and sometimes have a 10 mins tidy up session before lunch (as a reward the mindees get to have tv on for 5 mins while I am re-heating meals, laying table etc.

I try to put the toy boxes/resources in different corners or sides of the lounge but as you say it soons ends up everywhere!

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, my Mrs O liked the fact that I didn't have structured areas for specific play (of course that was just my personal experience, other inspectors may have different views)
    I have low level shelving units where children chose their own toys, and showed her in the garage where I have storage boxes of toy sets, easels, maths equipment, jigsaws and told her I rotated the toys often to keep children's interest levels up and to not overload them with too many resources
    She asked if we did role,play and I showed her our dress up box but said I didn't have a specific 'kitchen area' or 'hairdressers' like I did at nursery because the children made their own kitchen etc on the floor or in a tent, or even outside and I just handed out bowls, spoons, utensils etc when they chose to set up home
    She like that idea, that the children decided to play kitchen instead of me having one there already. I don't think they look for zoning in particular just that you're providing time and resources for creative and imaginative play, however you chose to do it.
    I find these pre made 'imagination' resources quite restricting anyway, who says that a kitchen has to look like those pink plastic ones, the children usually use a big wooden box and make their own ovens, fridges and in one case Agas, that's imagination, instead of them being told, this is a kitchen, this is a garage, play with it.
    As you have under 2s also I don't think it applies as much as their imaginative play is more limited than older ones but still good to show you provide time and encourage imaginative play
    Kelly xx

4. Likes FloraDora, hectors house liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some valid points thank you. I am just thinking at the moment how I am going to provide the 7 areas outside in the garden. I haven't yet got any shelter out there so it is hard to keep books, paper etc outside.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have sort of zones outside - to keep everyone safe we don't have footballs on the patio... because that's where the baby plays and we have crafts etc.

Inside I have a table and chairs and I discourage children from getting down with crayons etc because they can easily forget to be careful.

Beyond that ... not really

jan 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that the only zone i do really have is my book corner thats comfy bright and inviting

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have table n chair in kitchen with craft stuff on and I have also made cosy /reading corner in my little play room. Other than that no the children get out toys play where ever they even used my anti slip mats as cooker rings on upside down toy box last week as I dont have kitchen mine broke can't find one I like but they seem to prefer to make one anyway.
    Dust its Fairy Dust