Thread: Next steps

Registered Childminder since
    Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Next steps

Hi,

I am totally lost as to next steps. Have read the enabling environments but a lot of this was on what I can do and not the children. Can you please help?

Thank you Xxx

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just how you can expand the child's interest and knowledge..... if they are interested in playing with cars, pushing them around etc. Next steps could be: use cars in messy play... run cars through shaving foam, look at the patterns the tyres make.... use different size cars, different size patterns etc.

Does that make sense?

Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you I think i get it! Xxx

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

When I write a next step I add it to my planning for the following week/month and if the child enjoys and manages it, I take a photo and make a little note, put it in their LJ with a * written into planning on ____ date.

I don't always do next steps, sometimes I write .... continue with ....

Hope that helps

Jun 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Karen,

That sounds like a good idea! I was wondering how I could show that I was making sure to follow the next steps I wrote.

6. Likes karensmart4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm struggling with the same next steps and how to write them , is it what they would do as a next , i.e if they were toddling around the furniture next step be walk freely with out holding on or to encourage to walk freely and move toys further away ? :-)

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I found next steps tricky to start with. Now I think of next steps as the same as the baby who's learned to crawl, next steps will, literally, be steps...so how do I help baby achieve this. I often resort to writing "practice" for a while though, especially if it's a newly learned skill. Then I try to think of ways to encourage practice without the child getting bored, and in time you see that they're secure enough to move on and thats when you start to challenge. So a baby who's only just learned to sit won't be able to reach too far without toppling, so sitting practice is enough! Hth!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really struggling with it I'm over thinking it I think I'm just don't no what to write as such how to word it xxx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karensmart4 View Post
    When I write a next step I add it to my planning for the following week/month and if the child enjoys and manages it, I take a photo and make a little note, put it in their LJ with a * written into planning on ____ date.

I don't always do next steps, sometimes I write .... continue with ....

Hope that helps
    Yes brilliant. I do that too. Otherwise I find I get too many next steps that you'll never be able to do. Saying continue to do whatever is a kind of next step but you don't necessarily have to incorporate it in your planning. I tend to use it for, for example, a child learning to use a spoon.......continue to provide a spoon and assistance.