Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freeflow indoor /outdoor

I am wondering how to make freeflow indoor/outdoor easier, particularly after school when I have lots of older children and sometimes a crawling baby.
    The children are always leaving the door open, which lets cold air in - and risk of baby climbing out and down steps!
    Has anyone got experience of using a PVC strip curtain to keep heat in - seen this advertised on Nursery World website?

Free Flow PVC Strip Curtain | Freeflow Curtains

It wouldn't solve the problem with the baby around, but might help?
    Not sure how ugly these are and would it be ok in a house (childminders setting). My husband doesn't want the house to turn into a nursery!

Thanks

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

They have these in a nursery I go to but I can't say that they look very attractive, but that is only my opinion.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a mean cm - I tell them if they can't keep the door shut they can't go through it! They've learned! I also insist on coats etc in this weather and to be honest they mostly can't be bothered. I interpret free flow in the winter to mean, if they ask they can, but they do so on certain terms and conditions! I may ban them from inside in the summer - I hate all the sand and water being being traipsed through the place!

Worked well until I over-cooked a meal and had to open the door to vent the room - they were very quick to remind me I was heating the neighbourhood!!

I may be way off base here, but Mrs O was happy with my interpretation!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we offer regular opportunities to play outside - but not free flow - we have considered it but risk assessments tell us it's not possible with our combination of big and little ones.

I can't supervise inside and outside at the same time either and children won't be in my sight and hearing if i am in and the door is closed.

hth

5. Likes jillplum, vals liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

We have free flow here, rules are you shut the door behind you or you stay in, I don't really have any trouble with it, they learn from each other with the odd gentle reminder, I can see outside from inside all the time and vice versa. I wouldn't want the plastic curtain thing, they do help cut down on the cold but don't keep the heat in like the door and baby can still get out.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you for your thoughts - that really helps

Thanks to all who replied. I had come to the same conclusion thinking about it a bit more.
    I think it is good for the older ones to learn to shut the door behind them too!
    As you say, Freeflow has to be interpreted as fits with the risk assessment based on the mix of children you have and the house you have too!
    Thanks again.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know you've already decided against it, but also wanted to say they look like they are designed for outward opening doors, and most domestic external doors open inwards.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I allow freeflow on warm dry days as I have a sun room with sliding doors onto a patio and I can see the whole garden from the kitchen and living room. There is one 'blind spot' but a carefully placed mirror tile sorts that out.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com