Thread: 2 yr check

Registered Childminder since
    sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 yr check

Hi

Has anyone else had a problem with health visitors not wanting to look at the forms we have completed for the 2 year old check. I have one chid who's mother took her to the check with my completed form and the health visitor said she didn't need to see it as she was doing her own.
    Another parent has told me she booked the check and said she would be bringing the form from myself to which the health visitor said don't bother as they don't need it.
    I called Ofsted but they were not interested.
    How disheartening is it. I don't mind doing paperwork if there is a purpose.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately this is happening a lot I think when the Govt told us all we had to do 2 year progress checks someone forgot to tell most of the health visitors

Hugs xx

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a 2 year check at beginning of December as I didn't want to get caught out and have to do it in a hurry - the mum has just had appointment come through and needed to change the time so rang Health visitor - when she asked the Health visitor if she should bring anything (other than child), Health visitor said bring the Red book and when the mum said she would also bring her 2 year check compliled by childminder, health visitor said that would be useful as sometimes children don't perform as they should in a different environment.

So hoping it will be used, I have asked the mum to give me feedback - I have a copy and so does the mum, should I print off a copy for the health visitor or will she just read the mum's copy at the check up?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Health visitors don't routinely do 2 year checks here, a little bit of me thinks we are going to end up doing them instead of the health visitors.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is 2015 when they hope to align our 2yr checks with HVs. Until then, it is pot luck whether they read it or not.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

So far I've done one 2 year check - I put a note on the front to the HV asking her a few questions i.e. is this info helpfull, is there anything else I could add that she might find usefull, to leave a comment and sign it. She commented that she concurred with my assessment which was brilliant - at least I have something to show Mrs O!! I think that unless we really push it with the parents to get them to tell the HV to sign it, we aren't going to get very far!

I don't see the point really if we are doing termly summative assessments......

7. Likes Daisy De, silvermist, hectors house liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2 year check I did for one of mine was handed straight back to the parent by the HV with the comment "I'M the HV, I'm the one to do the check"

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    The 2 year check I did for one of mine was handed straight back to the parent by the HV with the comment "I'M the HV, I'm the one to do the check"
    OMG! How rude!!!!!!!!!!!

My grand daughter had her 2 yr check yesterday.

HV asked DIL "can she put a few words together to make a sentence"

DIL said, "why dont you ask her something?"

HV to Grand daughter " Hello, are you ok "

Gd 2 "yes are you ok"

HV " I like your tshirt"

Gd " I like it, Mummy got it shop, its Tinkerbell"

HV "do you like Tinkerbell then"

Gd " silly lady!"

HV to DIL" Ermmm, her language is very forward for her age, Ill weigh her and do height, yes thats fine"

Then sent her home!!!
    If all else fails......add glitter!

10. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    Omg...what a moo :O

I've got to do one soon ASAP and I'm hoping the HV takes a look at it. I'll be so cross if its just tossed to one side
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did a 2 year check for my nearly 3 year old mindee. I've given it to the parent but I know nothing will happen with it. She might read it, who knows!

I'm expecting my inspection at some point so never a bad thing to show Ofsted.

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

This isn't good to hear. I have a mindee that I have concerns over and I am relying on the health visitor to read what I write, understand what I am implying,and do something about it. This is because the parents are in complete denial and I am running out of ideas of how to get them to ask for the help the child needs.

Post Thanks / Like

oh no please dont say that im just about to start doing mine but if no ones interested whats the point.....i totally understand why your angry!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca parker View Post
    oh no please dont say that im just about to start doing mine but if no ones interested whats the point.....i totally understand why your angry!
    I did my first one the other day. To be honest, it's not much more work than doing a summative assessment which you probably do anyway. But yes it is frustrating when people don't care about the effort you put in and totally dismiss it. Health visitors see the children every now and then, childminders may see a child every day of the week!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a little girl who started with me a couple of month ago, she will be 3 in April & due to start nursery school in may do I need to do a 2 year check for her? Xx

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we should start adding a short paragraph to top outlining our responsibilities under law and an explanation about how this is suppose to help hv at least then of they toss it aside its going to reflect badly on them as parent would have already read our explanation. Some parents may even argue the point if they have some written information about why we're doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty90 View Post
    I've got a little girl who started with me a couple of month ago, she will be 3 in April & due to start nursery school in may do I need to do a 2 year check for her? Xx
    Yes you do. I'm in the same situation and I've just completed my first one. Good luck.

May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought that the 2 year progress report would have been useful to the next educational setting, I would not have thought it had much to do with the HV. Surley her check is more medical?

My son had a 2 year progress report from Pre School and i am sure the HV would not be interested in it.

dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default almost 2

Can anyone advise me, I care for a child who almost 2 years and i feel he is late at developing many levels, he cannot walk at all he does not talk and he is very infantile in his behaviour! his parent just says that she does not follow this step age development and i feel its my duty and obligation to develop these areas for the child's sake but she does not work with me!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nina Kirby View Post
    Can anyone advise me, I care for a child who almost 2 years and i feel he is late at developing many levels, he cannot walk at all he does not talk and he is very infantile in his behaviour! his parent just says that she does not follow this step age development and i feel its my duty and obligation to develop these areas for the child's sake but she does not work with me!
    It can be very hard work when parents do not work with you - but you cannot parent the child and you cannot tell parents how to bring up their child.

You can only do your best for the child while s/he is with you and share ideas that parents might want to follow up at home.

You cannot speak to Health Visitor without parents written permission...

I am sure you will continue to do your very best for the child. We are here if you need support or tips xx