Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    09/2006
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not sure If I am looking into this too much

Hello after long time

I would like to ask for help or just to let me know if I am on right path with this new Eyfs as I have spoken to my local pre school and they told me I am looking into it too much.

I am using a4 folder where I keep development matters sheet,artwork,next steps planning ,blank pieces of paper for pictures ,short notes/obs and also have a observation forms which I use for planned observation .
    When I note something onto a sheet I will put on bottom of it which areas it covers and the age group.
    I then go to development matters sheet and put date next to age group and line which best matches for what I have observed . I use it for my guidance to see in which group is child at .

Am I doing it correctly as my pre school made me paranoid because they said they dont do observations only wow moments with one line ,no learning journal and no starting points?
    I have asked them if they want to see my mindee's learning journey from prev. eyfs as he started in september with them and I had him for 2 yrs before and they said they are not interested into old learning journey. I though they could use it as a starting points but they said they not observing them till november ,they will let them settled first and I have been told by them that I am looking into it too much.

I dont want to do too much but also dont want to be told by ofsted that I am not doing it correctly or not enough. I dont do regular obs ,only when I will see they achieved something new or I have planned activity for that particular child.
    Please help
    Dana x

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty much identical to how I work-maybe nurseries don't go as in depth as they have so many more children to deal with,but this is what we can offer as a positive point of using a childminder-1 to 1 obs and planning.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like they are doing the bare minimum. I've recently been on a planning and observation course for the EYFS and they said that our obs cannot just be 'wow' moments. They should be detailed and show progression. With evidence on when the child reaches a goal.
    They will have a shock. You're doing just fine
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to work in a group setting and we did pretty much what you do.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i do the same as you xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Mar2008
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do same as you too

Post Thanks / Like

if they do not do a starting point how can they know a child is getting on ? i know i am a learner at all of this compared with others but i do not get how they can know a child is progressing if they don not know where he started at. i only have one minded child so maybe i do to much?

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

I do pretty much the same as you, 3 of us work together (1 co-minder and our p/t assistant) we have 16 children on our books and we have the time to do short obs on each child once a week or as often as we see something worth noting plus we do a longer ob about once a month. Parents are given 'WoW' slips and bring them in to display on the board, when they bring another one in the first one goes in the child's lj (if you see what I mean) with a little note.

So 'no' I don't think you are looking into it too deeply, I think they, like one of our nursery's are coping out!

You carry on, your lj's will be something the parents will want to keep and look back on with fond memories

9. Likes Ballette liked this post
    09/2006
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all ,feeling a bit better now I know we all doing it similar way
    Will request my mindees eyfs details in new year and see what they actually done it.
    Dana x

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karensmart4 View Post
    I do pretty much the same as you, 3 of us work together (1 co-minder and our p/t assistant) we have 16 children on our books and we have the time to do short obs on each child once a week or as often as we see something worth noting plus we do a longer ob about once a month. Parents are given 'WoW' slips and bring them in to display on the board, when they bring another one in the first one goes in the child's lj (if you see what I mean) with a little note.

So 'no' I don't think you are looking into it too deeply, I think they, like one of our nursery's are coping out!

You carry on, your lj's will be something the parents will want to keep and look back on with fond memories
    i love your idea of giving parents a slip for wow moments. I think i may just pinch your fab idea x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Candy apple View Post
    if they do not do a starting point how can they know a child is getting on ? i know i am a learner at all of this compared with others but i do not get how they can know a child is progressing if they don not know where he started at. i only have one minded child so maybe i do to much?
    You are doing exactly the right thing - as you say if you don't know the child's starting point then you cannot show they are making progress!

Post Thanks / Like

When I went to my sons (Outstanding graded) nursery and saw the (very little!) paperwork they did on him...I just burst out laughing, thinking of all the masses of paperwork I do. Sounds to me like you are doing a great job - this is the way I think of it - the paperwork I do enables me to do short/medium and long term planning...it enables me to see where that child is, so when reporting time comes - I have all evidence to hand. It also enables me to show Ofsted/the council/parents that I know exactly what Im doing and can show them how. On top of that...what a wonderful record for littlun when he/she grows up...to see...."thats what I was like when I was a little ***"! Wonderful!

Sounds like you are doing a great job - dont let anyone tell you otherwise!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey!!! They made my word look like a swear word! It wasnt a swear word!!! What happened there???