Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default problem with 2 year check

I have just been told mindee is having his check next week so am doing mine this week, was hoping to do it after christmas. My problem is that he is developing selective mutism. He is good at my place, plays with others, talks lots and mostly good with others, he can have problems when others touch him but I have been working on this. Outside at other groups he won't talk, hardly does anything unless his friend is there. He is very inseccure and I have seen him wring his hands when he is getting worried. Parents are aware of this. Now my problem is what do I say in the check, one friend says you should never put anything negative in and to tell them my concerns. She says they can blame me if it is wrong. Also he starts day care next week, parents want him to be more social. I don't want it too look like I am being nasty as he is only comming 1 day not 3 but i want to be professional. Has anyone else said that a child has problems in their checks? sorry this is a bit confusing but I am worried. Thanks

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have any developmental concerns then it is a statutory obligation to highlight it at the 2 year check....however with this do you think it is just shyness and lacking confidence or do you feel there is something wrong with him? In the comments section I would state that lately Johnny has found it difficult to speak in places he is not familiar with or in environments out of the setting and you will be working on building his confidence.....you have not said anything awful by mentioning this.....

aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am worried it is a problem as he has known a friend for a year and she has never heard him speak, if I stay too long at groups he starts to sob with worry. I am so worried about him going to a day care place. He also will push others over if he thinks i am not watching. I though we had a duty to tell parents of any concerns, thanks i will write it carefully.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if the parents are aware of this problem then you are just confirming it as a professional childcarer for the health visitor. I always try to balance a negative comment with a positive one. The parents will need your expertise in backing up their concerns, so they can get outside help.

I am working on a 2 year check at the moment and have put under relationships "X is very fond of cuddling the other children and the cat, but sometimes isn’t always aware that not all children want a bear hug and X can sometimes invade their personal space"

also under Disp & Attitudes I have put "X seems to lack confidence when it comes to taking part in singing activities outside of the setting although x does know the words as will sing here and at home spontaneously during her free play"

In the agreed next steps of development - Setting - I will put down some stategies for how X can respect other children's personal space and how I can work on her confidence when singing at toddlers.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How about something along the lines of exactly what you have written above - you are talking about a little man who has recently started showing concerning traits which you would like to inform the HV about and which have already been discussed with parents.

It's down to parents to give the check you write to the HV - let's hope they do and some support is put in place for him.

xx